Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this in Wikipedia, and thought it was interesting:

"Hickory wood is very hard, stiff, dense and shock resistant. There are woods that are stronger than hickory and woods that are harder, but the combination of strength, toughness, hardness, and stiffness found in hickory wood is not found in any other commercial wood.[10] It is used for tool handles, bows, wheel spokes, carts, drumsticks, lacrosse stick handles, golf club shafts"

It also says that it is NOT rot resistant! Oak wins there for sure!

"Hickory wood is very hard, stiff, dense and shock resistant. There are woods that are stronger than hickory and woods that are harder, but the combination of strength, toughness, hardness, and stiffness found in hickory wood is not found in any other commercial wood.[10] It is used for tool handles, bows, wheel spokes, carts, drumsticks, lacrosse stick handles, golf club shafts"

I am surprised that Elm is not used for tool handles being it holds together so well.

I like how hickory smells, a little like white oak. But, then again my nose may be burnt out from red oak. My parents had a nice hickory in front yard, as kids my stepbrother and I would shoot them in our sling-shots. Try eating them, smash with a hammer and not much to eat.

Even though it stinks from start to finish I am slightly impressed with basswood for this time of year. I am heating my house to 72 with 12-14 splits a day in the boiler. My house isn't small, 4000+ sq ft, and is old, originally constructed in the 1800's. I have put a new roof, siding, windows, basement, and almost finished the interior. I think the highest temp we have had in the last week is 38. I don't think I'll leave it lay anymore.

Yeah, we warmed up yesterday, and it looks like the next couple of day are gonna get into the 70s. Ugh.

Next week, looks like highs in the 50s.

First fire of the season is coming soon...
23° high/ -2° low on Saturday here in NW Montany. Great cuttin' weather!
❅ ❆ ❃ ❊ ❉

Even though it stinks from start to finish I am slightly impressed with basswood for this time of year. I am heating my house to 72 with 12-14 splits a day in the boiler. My house isn't small, 4000+ sq ft, and is old, originally constructed in the 1800's. I have put a new roof, siding, windows, basement, and almost finished the interior. I think the highest temp we have had in the last week is 38. I don't think I'll leave it lay anymore.

Hmm, I burned up a tree worth of rounds because I read poor reviews on it. I may have to tru some now.

She rips through clean wood surprisingly fast also. I did not order it, it was someone else's project, and it came to me with the wrap, Max Flow and 404. With a 32" light bar it balances surprisingly well, and feels much lighter than my 660s, so I plan to leave it as is. I can always fell with this one and stump with a 660!

The other issue with the wrap … makes it harder to access the bar nuts!
I bet it does :rock:.
I have one I've never even ran lol.
When I ran Coles stroked and ported 661 with a 24x404 with semi-chisel it cut fast and didn't dull, sure you'll like that about it.
Good thing you have those dirty old 660's to stump with :D.
I like to use the shorter stihl srenches with the handle that tapers down and is a bit longer. Another trick if you don't have the shorter scrench then I find instead of putting the scrench on the back nut from in front of the wrap, put it on under the wrap from the back. This helps to get a much better grip on the nut and instead of the screwdriver end of the scrench being close to the clutch cover it will be out further making it much easier.
Sure those west coast guys have other tips though.

L O C U S T is rot resistant :rock2:.

23° high/ -2° low on Saturday here in NW Montany. Great cuttin' weather!
❅ ❆ ❃ ❊ ❉
Efff that! West Yellowstone was a neat little town, I’ve been through there twice. It was snowing in Yellowstone at the end of May the first time I went. Y’all can keep that crap.

Efff that! West Yellowstone was a neat little town, I’ve been through there twice. It was snowing in Yellowstone at the end of May the first time I went. Y’all can keep that crap.

I've seen it snow in every month but August. Although we have gotten some pretty good size hail. It helps keep the bugs down.:)

20200624_162250_001.jpg

Going to go grab my duck hunting stuff from the cabin later this morning. The smaller lakes up there are froze over so time to hit big water at the house. The lake water must be pretty warm yet because even the small bays have not skimmed over at night.

A friend told me he was planning to go musky fishing in two weeks. I told him good luck as it will definitely be frozen by then!

Latest posts

Back