Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out with the old and ugly, in with the new and purdy.

View attachment 863441
When I first saw the husky I thought you were calling the 241 ugly :laugh:.
That looks nice. I'm not a fan of the grey, now you can use the grey cover for flush cutting stumps.

What lawn mower is that :picture:.

I was channeling @Jere39 today, cutting and splitting red oak from my property. Kind of a funhouse mirror look to the pics with all the wrong colors, but using the same methods. I think the only piece of equipment we may have in common is the Fiskars. I did not have a chief of security overseeing operations.
20201025_091116.jpg
20201025_101320.jpg
The tree came down a few years ago and I had a purpose for it, but didn't get to it so today I decided to make it into firewood before it went bad. Still quite solid except for just the outer 1/2" or so. Have a few more trailer loads to go.

I was channeling @Jere39 today, cutting and splitting red oak from my property. Kind of a funhouse mirror look to the pics with all the wrong colors, but using the same methods. I think the only piece of equipment we may have in common is the Fiskars. I did not have a chief of security overseeing operations.
View attachment 863672
View attachment 863670
The tree came down a few years ago and I had a purpose for it, but didn't get to it so today I decided to make it into firewood before it went bad. Still quite solid except for just the outer 1/2" or so. Have a few more trailer loads to go.
Does that 441 cut wood now :lol: .
Where did you get the other wheelbarrow wheel for that trailer :p.
That quad is crazy clean!

Looks fine.
Which saw are you running that on and what length bar. Seeing the saws in your signature they all look as though they should be able to pull an aggressive chain well, so yes the rakers could be taken down a good bit. The big sign to me is the shine on top of the rakers.
The cutter on the left in the first picture shows the top plate angle being less than the witness mark angle, while the other cutter looks the same as the witness make. Most likely you file a little different from side to side as most of us do, just being aware of it will help you correct it without having to put it on the grinder to even the angles all out. In the second picture it appears the gullet could be cleaned out a little, but as philbert was saying the pictures make it hard to tell for sure. When cleaning the gullet out I do not clean it out all the way to the back(where the file you sharpen with stops) unless the file I'm sharpening with will rust on the gullet when sharpening, or it's a chain I plan on using a husky roller guide on. If you remove the gullet all the way to the back then you have to hold the file up on the bottom of the top plate and that slows me down when freehand filing without the roller guide. Using the roller guide works very well for holding the file up but it's much slower than freehand filing without the guide.
All that being said if it gets your wood cut safely and you saw isn't racing and the filter isn't constantly covered in fines/it's throwing nice chips, then you'll be just fine :).
That chain is on my husqy 390xp 24" bar. Doesnt have an issue pulling it. I did notice my angle was off on the one side. I'm just free handing it when I'm out. Dont even own a file guide. I'll have to be more careful when I'm doing my off hand side. I'll get some better pics up when I get off work. Have a few other chains I need to grind. Post up a few of them as well...
Thanks for the advice.

Does that 441 cut wood now :lol: .
Where did you get the other wheelbarrow wheel for that trailer :p.
That quad is crazy clean!
Yeah, it seems to run better with a spark plug. ;)
I inherited the trailer maybe 13 years ago from my childhood neighbor when he passed away. His father had built it, so I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old. Probably has leftover paint on it that one of them picked up at a yard sale for 25 cents. He was the true definition of a scrounger - mechanical engineer who managed a scrapyard for many years. Had tons (literally) of metal at his house that came home with him. Built almost everything that he couldn't find for cheap including a wood stove that his widow still uses today.
Told you the ATV was too good to pass up. :yes:

18 degrees this morning. The ice actually formed around the decoys in the pre-dawn.

View attachment 863673

Used to keep an old baseball bat in the blind to row out and bust up the ice around us, then dunk the dekes to get the ice off them. Never had glass smooth ice on the river though.

View attachment 863672
View attachment 863670

Looking good there and you have my permission to channel away. I was out busting my big rounds into man-sized chunks to haul to the splitting/stacking zone. Scout didn't make it in this picture, but you can bet he was there:

IMG_8535.jpg

Probably shouldn't let Deere know how overloaded this cart is. Could be a product liability concern.

Here's how my chains end up... critique away. Hasn't seen a grinder in quite a wile. Keep thinking about taking the rakers down a hair more but it cuts well...

You will find chain nuts who can pick your chain apart. It looks "OK" imo. You said all I need to know..."it cuts well". "Cuts well" means different things to different people; a matter of preference.

I hate grabby chains with a passion so I would not take any off the rakers unless absolutely necessary; if it "cuts well" leave them alone. When the chips get small or turn to dust you will know when it is time to take some material off the rakers. If you touch up the cutters, do a couple test cuts before you decide to take the rakers down.

That chain is on my husqy 390xp 24" bar. Doesnt have an issue pulling it. I did notice my angle was off on the one side. I'm just free handing it when I'm out. Dont even own a file guide. I'll have to be more careful when I'm doing my off hand side. I'll get some better pics up when I get off work. Have a few other chains I need to grind. Post up a few of them as well...
Thanks for the advice.
For the 390 I'd definitely be taking the rakers down, and quite a bit too.
I bet it cuts a lot faster. You could also make the hook a bit more aggressive, but you will loose some durability and with frozen wood right around the corner I like a strong working corner.

Yeah, it seems to run better with a spark plug. ;)
I inherited the trailer maybe 13 years ago from my childhood neighbor when he passed away. His father had built it, so I'm guessing it's at least 50 years old. Probably has leftover paint on it that one of them picked up at a yard sale for 25 cents. He was the true definition of a scrounger - mechanical engineer who managed a scrapyard for many years. Had tons (literally) of metal at his house that came home with him. Built almost everything that he couldn't find for cheap including a wood stove that his widow still uses today.
Told you the ATV was too good to pass up. :yes:
I've had some funny ones like that myself lol.
I have to give as much stuff away as I can or it will pile up here too:crazy2:. The other thing I do is say no, but sometimes I do better at giving it away than I do at saying no :yes:.
I knew it was clean, but it looks cleaner than the other pic you sent me.

I have to give as much stuff away as I can or it will pile up here too:crazy2:. The other thing I do is say no, but sometimes I do better at giving it away than I do at saying no :yes:.
He had collected a lot of stuff, mostly nearly organized. (He kept log books of every piece of equipment he had, included starting instructions under various conditions. He tagged and dated all of his fuel cans. Lots of examples of similar stuff. Yeah, he was THAT guy. Man, I still wish he was around.) Someone offered his widow 10% of the scrap value for all of the metal - I told her I'd give her 100%. I loaded the truck and when I got to the scrapyard, the guy actually came out of the office to check my truck because he couldn't believe how much it weighed. Oops.

Need to give some stuff away myself to make sure I don't leave my wife with a mess. No, Brett, you can not have the ATV. :ices_rofl:

Back