Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's everyone using to light the fire? I picked up this cheapo butane torch at princess auto (the Canadian harbor freight). I really like it. Lights instantly and a fill up lasts pretty much all season.
17218ec4e2d3314d06ceca041d730a79.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Been running around like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off. Last few lawns to mow and leaf vac, dodging rain. Trying to get my cabin wired for deer season. Trying to scrounge up two cord of Oak for friends. Later today have to move the kids into their new rental house. My wife and daughter were in Lowe’s getting packing supplies, and my daughter went looking at the lawn tractors. She pointed at one and asked my wife, “Is dad getting me one of these?” She said, “No, he’s not getting you one of THOSE.” Saturday I walked through the annual farm auction and they had a John Deere X500. The sale was all on line this year. The bidding started Monday and ended last night. When I looked at the tractor the hour meter read 40 hours. I put in a max bid of $3500 on Wednesday, the auto bid had me winning at $3010 for 2 days. With one minute to go I got sniped and out bid. With that bid the auction was extended 2 minutes. I tried to bid and it wouldn’t take my bid. With a minute and 23 seconds I called the auction house and told her it wasn’t taking my bid. She asked what my high bid was, $3750. She sat on the phone with me as the seconds ticked down, and I got it for $3700 plus the juice, came to $4292. She said congrats on the new tractor with four hours! I miss read the meter. It didn’t read 40 hours, it read 4.0 hours. So, I have to sneak the tractor to my daughters new rental house and stash it in the shed before I help them move. Sorry if I repeated any of this, I’m still a little frazzled. I lost every other bid I had in.
Nice!

What's everyone using to light the fire? I picked up this cheapo butane torch at princess auto (the Canadian harbor freight). I really like it. Lights instantly and a fill up lasts pretty much all season.

16 balled sheets of newspaper, about a dozen bits of kindling, 2 small splits and a match. i find it quicker than a gas torch

We sharpen our saws at 25° for chisel tooth chain, 30° for semi-chisel. We do almost exclusivly hardwoods, too, with plenty of mulberry, hedge, oak. Plenty of the softer deciduous trees, too, but rarely a pine or other conifer.

When hand filing, I just try to match up the witness mark, and that has always worked just fine.
If your running stihl RS like in his pictures and you're following the witness marks, you ain setting them at 25 ;).
His angles I could see were less than the 30 not more than 30.

The stihl oil smells like **** and plastic burning.

I'm around. Been working 60-70 hours a week since april. Picked up a saw for the first time in months the other day. Needed a break and just went to the woods for awhile.
:laughing:
I can't stand the smell of it myself :rare2:.
Good to see you around, hope you're able to save a lot of cash while cranking the hrs.
Have a great weekend.

Been running around like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off. Last few lawns to mow and leaf vac, dodging rain. Trying to get my cabin wired for deer season. Trying to scrounge up two cord of Oak for friends. Later today have to move the kids into their new rental house. My wife and daughter were in Lowe’s getting packing supplies, and my daughter went looking at the lawn tractors. She pointed at one and asked my wife, “Is dad getting me one of these?” She said, “No, he’s not getting you one of THOSE.” Saturday I walked through the annual farm auction and they had a John Deere X500. The sale was all on line this year. The bidding started Monday and ended last night. When I looked at the tractor the hour meter read 40 hours. I put in a max bid of $3500 on Wednesday, the auto bid had me winning at $3010 for 2 days. With one minute to go I got sniped and out bid. With that bid the auction was extended 2 minutes. I tried to bid and it wouldn’t take my bid. With a minute and 23 seconds I called the auction house and told her it wasn’t taking my bid. She asked what my high bid was, $3750. She sat on the phone with me as the seconds ticked down, and I got it for $3700 plus the juice, came to $4292. She said congrats on the new tractor with four hours! I miss read the meter. It didn’t read 40 hours, it read 4.0 hours. So, I have to sneak the tractor to my daughters new rental house and stash it in the shed before I help them move. Sorry if I repeated any of this, I’m still a little frazzled. I lost every other bid I had in.
Daddy is that you, I am adopted :laugh:.
That's very generous of you.
Great deal on an awesome machine.
I just listed a JD GT245 last night with the 20hp Kawasaki and a 54" deck. It has 525hrs on it and the hood is still attached, if you guys know about these machines you know why I say that; for those who don't, they always crack at the hinge. I listed it for $1350, hard to find one with a 54" deck for under 1500, especially with relatively lower hrs, usually they have over 1000 on them.
Good mowers, I'd buy another. Just set a friend up with a GT235 that has the Kohler and a 48" deck, no hr meter since it's a 2000, it was $1000.
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.12.37 PM.png

Either wooden matches or a zippo, dropping those into the stove would not be a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddy is that you, I am adopted :laugh:.
That's very generous of you.
Great deal on an awesome machine.
I just listed a JD GT245 last night with the 20hp Kawasaki and a 54" deck. It has 525hrs on it and the hood is still attached, if you guys know about these machines you know why I say that; for those who don't, they always crack at the hinge. I listed it for $1350, hard to find one with a 54" deck for under 1500, especially with relatively lower hrs, usually they have over 1000 on them.
Good mowers, I'd buy another. Just set a friend up with a GT235 that has the Kohler and a 48" deck, no hr meter since it's a 2000, it was $1000.
View attachment 865049
You need a Cyclone Rake for those leaves.

like free :envy:, the wood to scrounge in my immediate area is free and seeminly non-stop! carry in's to pickup truck loads. :) fire... camp... and cooking, too. oak to pecan! I never seem to catch up! lol ;) been like that all summer and into early fall. other day got in a midnight scrounge. wood all over the place, trimmed oak and de-branched, no lil top handle needed - like soldiers on an old civil war battlefield. wanted to stay out of the hair of the 2-day project, arborist lead said sure take all u want, we are done for the day! be back tomorrow...
P4090004.JPG
P3250001.JPGP3250004.JPGP3250005.JPG
made it a 3-fer wb loads... midnight run ~

Latest posts

Back