Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be worth a shot. He's about an hour west/northwest of me. Although, like I told ya, I have a live red oak we can fell at my place ;)

So, with Brett's help, I got my new to me Rattler 254xp going. Man this thing is stupid clean, and stout! I can't wait to compare it to my Huskihl 254.

View attachment 868983
Well I can usually drop 2 or 3 in a day, but nothing more lol.
Awesome, that should be a fun saw, they handle so nice.

Might be worth a shot. He's about an hour west/northwest of me. Although, like I told ya, I have a live red oak we can fell at my place ;)

So, with Brett's help, I got my new to me Rattler 254xp going. Man this thing is stupid clean, and stout! I can't wait to compare it to my Huskihl 254.

View attachment 868983
Be interesting where the differences lie. I had very little time to run the 572 Kevin did for me until the fall. It's starting to really come alive now. Pretty funny when guys who have never ran a ported saw watch the thing rip through a log.

Well my mom passed away this morning. She had been in assisted living for 4.5 years so needless to say she wasn’t in great health but at the same point she wasn’t ill or anything so her passing came as a surprise to us. I guess she was fine at breakfast time and when they came in before lunch she had passed away suddenly some time in the morning.
So sorry to hear, thoughts & prayers to u and yours

Will be going up for opening day tomorrow (it is on Sat). There will be 7 of us this year, including my 35 year old Daughter for the first time. I plan to hunt with her in a 2 person stand.

Last Sat MechanicMatt and I set up this tripod stand in an abandoned Bluestone quarry. That is Matt clearing some shooting lanes with my 261.

I tried to get some pics of the view on the 4wd road down the Mtn, but pics don't do them justice, especially with the small trees in the way. That is part of the Cannonsville Reservoir below, the last one in the NYC system. The aqueduct to the city is about 100 miles, all gravity fed, and it crosses under the Hudson!

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_142951496.jpg
    IMG_20201114_142951496.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20201114_142724259.jpg
    IMG_20201114_142724259.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20201115_093807035.jpg
    IMG_20201115_093807035.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20201115_093755572.jpg
    IMG_20201115_093755572.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
I think my pics show how ridiculous it is that NYS has a 3 pt a side rule up there … with all the brush what are you going to do, say "hold still for a second"!!!

It is different if you are hunting from a blind on a farm, but we are not.

You just have to use your judgement and hope for the best, or you will go home empty!

The points have to be 1" each. Matt took a 6 pt a few years ago, but they inspected and said only 5 were legal points, and they were likely generous with him. It is so easy to get into trouble!

I think my pics show how ridiculous it is that NYS has a 3 pt a side rule up there … with all the brush what are you going to do, say "hold still for a second"!!!

You just have to use your judgement and hope for the best, or you will go home empty!

The points have to be 1" each. Matt took a 6 pt a few years ago, but they inspected and said only 5 were legal points, and they were likely generous with him. It is so easy to get into trouble!
Do you need to get the deer inspected? Or is it just if you get stopped by the warden?

I was gonna say you need a bigger pallet but then I see you would need a bigger tractor. :crazy2:
Yeah, it’s a 1025r. Sure saves the back though! A wider single stack is easier to pickup vs a deeper 2 row pallet. I’m gonna build some like 72”x48”x18” racks, That should about max it out with fresh oak or hickory.

Be interesting where the differences lie. I had very little time to run the 572 Kevin did for me until the fall. It's starting to really come alive now. Pretty funny when guys who have never ran a ported saw watch the thing rip through a log.

I need to get a tack on them. My ear is telling me that the XS (Huskihl) is turning more rpms, but I'm still working on the Rattler's tune. She's still a little fat.

At some point, I don't know when, I plan to do a video side-by-side with them running the same bar and chain. I actually plan to use a brand new EXL chain with one, do some cuts, then throw the same bar and another new EXL chain on the other and repeat. It's the most apples to apples way to do it I can think of. I've already got a couple trees in the woods that I'm thinking of using for the cookies, or maybe I can wait and use the red Oak that @chipper1 is going to drop for me LOL

I need to get a tack on them. My ear is telling me that the XS (Huskihl) is turning more rpms, but I'm still working on the Rattler's tune. She's still a little fat.

At some point, I don't know when, I plan to do a video side-by-side with them running the same bar and chain. I actually plan to use a brand new EXL chain with one, do some cuts, then throw the same bar and another new EXL chain on the other and repeat. It's the most apples to apples way to do it I can think of. I've already got a couple trees in the woods that I'm thinking of using for the cookies, or maybe I can wait and use the red Oak that @chipper1 is going to drop for me LOL
I’ll travel for red oak! :cool:

The king's deer and all....

I found this the other day:View attachment 869118
Looks like a walnut got caught in the crotch, the tree grew around it, and I noodled through the center of it.

I had one like that, I have pics somewhere. Was a first for me. Was a black walnut.

I’ll travel for red oak! :cool:

I haven't had the best luck burning red Oak; then again, I haven't cut up a ton of it either.

A huge one fell at my father-in-law's years back that was dead but pretty dang solid. I cut several pick-up loads, took them home, split them, then stacked it all in the garage thinking I could burn it right away as it was dead standing for several years. That stuff would not burn at all! I think I even tried to burn it the following year and it still would not burn. It would just go out like it was full of moisture. I know the first year you could see the water bubbling out of it when I would throw a chunk on top of some good coals, so I know it had moisture in it.

I'm excited to cut some and properly season it.

I haven't had the best luck burning red Oak; then again, I haven't cut up a ton of it either.

A huge one fell at my father-in-law's years back that was dead but pretty dang solid. I cut several pick-up loads, took them home, split them, then stacked it all in the garage thinking I could burn it right away as it was dead standing for several years. That stuff would not burn at all! I think I even tried to burn it the following year and it still would not burn. It would just go out like it was full of moisture. I know the first year you could see the water bubbling out of it when I would throw a chunk on top of some good coals, so I know it had moisture in it.

I'm excited to cut some and properly season it.
Red oak as with most oak burns better after 2 or even 3 years in some cases. A moisture meter will help. Red oak is a main hardwood here, All of mine is 2 years+ at this point. Great heat, heavy as hell fresh.

ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END??
Went out to the first log yard and the tree guy came by. I asked him about a pile of logs he had stacked. He sad he was getting a bandsaw mill and was saving them. Even the Cherry I had my eye on. He had one pile that he said I could cut on, but he was already working on it to sell as firewood. I didn't want to crowd him so I let that pile alone.
Went to the second (farm) log yard and someone had been cutting and splitting firewood there. A local guy I knew came by in his truck and said he was the one cutting there but he said cut anything I wanted just don't take split wood. Obviously I wasn't going to touch it or any of the bucked wood laying around. He too was selling firewood, so I didn't want to crowd him either. He knows the tree guy better than I, and was even using his equipment to move piles around. Turns out, a neighbor complained to the county and he, the tree guy and the farmer were fined. Mind you this is rural area full of farms. Only one house is remotely near enough to be effected by the burning of brush. So that's why no new wood had been coming into the farm log yard. Turns out some regulation about having a burn pile on agricultural land or something. I'm not real clear on that. The local guy also told me the tree guy sets aside all Cherry for him because he sells BBQ wood too.

So I guess I'm out of the Cherry wood business and maybe my firewood cutting site is gone too. Unless he dumps more than he can use at the first yard. I guess next Spring will tell. Anyone know how I can catch a live Skunk so I can put it in the neighbor's mailbox?

Back