Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END??
Went out to the first log yard and the tree guy came by. I asked him about a pile of logs he had stacked. He sad he was getting a bandsaw mill and was saving them. Even the Cherry I had my eye on. He had one pile that he said I could cut on, but he was already working on it to sell as firewood. I didn't want to crowd him so I let that pile alone.
Went to the second (farm) log yard and someone had been cutting and splitting firewood there. A local guy I knew came by in his truck and said he was the one cutting there but he said cut anything I wanted just don't take split wood. Obviously I wasn't going to touch it or any of the bucked wood laying around. He too was selling firewood, so I didn't want to crowd him either. He knows the tree guy better than I, and was even using his equipment to move piles around. Turns out, a neighbor complained to the county and he, the tree guy and the farmer were fined. Mind you this is rural area full of farms. Only one house is remotely near enough to be effected by the burning of brush. So that's why no new wood had been coming into the farm log yard. Turns out some regulation about having a burn pile on agricultural land or something. I'm not real clear on that. The local guy also told me the tree guy sets aside all Cherry for him because he sells BBQ wood too.

So I guess I'm out of the Cherry wood business and maybe my firewood cutting site is gone too. Unless he dumps more than he can use at the first yard. I guess next Spring will tell. Anyone know how I can catch a live Skunk so I can put it in the neighbor's mailbox?

Sorry to hear about your wood honey hole loss. As for the skunk, my dad feeds them Cheetos. So Maybe see if you can catch one using those as a lure.

Sorry to hear about your wood honey hole loss. As for the skunk, my dad feeds them Cheetos. So Maybe see if you can catch one using those as a lure.
Yeh, I'd like to do more, but it would put suspicion onto the tree guy. He's just trying to make a living and he don't need more grief. Really a good guy; fair prices. Even more funny, just down the road from the cattle farmer is a hog farm. Never hear any complaints about them. No disrespect to hog farmers, it's just one smell I can't get use to.

Do you need to get the deer inspected? Or is it just if you get stopped by the warden?

Only inspected if you get stopped, but you have to report every kill, so how do you report it w/o incriminating yourself?

Went out locally with the cross bow today (only second time out this year). Saw a decent size deer, but too far away, but at least I saw something!

Traveling up to the property tomorrow for opening day on Sat. Will be 7 of us, all relatives, which will be a new record high #. Me, my brother and MechanicMatt (all regulars), my 35 year old Daughter (her first time), Matt's oldest daughter, and two Grand Nephews. A lot of sign up there this year, but hunting up there is never easy.

I see far more deer when I hunt down here … but it is not the same adventure, and I'm not allowed to use a rifle here.

Only inspected if you get stopped, but you have to report every kill, so how do you report it w/o incriminating yourself?

Went out locally with the cross bow today (only second time out this year). Saw a decent size deer, but too far away, but at least I saw something!

Traveling up to the property tomorrow for opening day on Sat. Will be 7 of us, all relatives, which will be a new record high #. Me, my brother and MechanicMatt (all regulars), my 35 year old Daughter (her first time), Matt's oldest daughter, and two Grand Nephews. A lot of sign up there this year, but hunting up there is never easy.

I see far more deer when I hunt down here … but it is not the same adventure, and I'm not allowed to use a rifle here.
My stupid deer story. (Maybe the hunter) I was coming home yesterday morning from delivering a load of wood (topic related) and I saw a farmer I know was combining some corn about a 1/4 mile from state hunting land. I already had plans to go pick up a load of wood (more topic related)on that road so I grabbed the crossbow and headed that way. When I got to the parking area there was a truck there. I walked over to the bank (10 yards from the truck) above the creek bottom and did some glassing to look for anyone hunting there before i walked in. . I was looking out and over and not directly below me. Bow stihl in truck. I snapped a branch and a nice 8 point exploded about 10 yards from me in a little briar patch. He ran about 50 yards and stopped and just looked at me. Disgusted I went and got my my load of wood. Just as I finished loading a flock of turkeys walked out in the cornfield and started feeding. Turkey season ended about a week ago. :dumb2:

My stupid deer story. (Maybe the hunter) I was coming home yesterday morning from delivering a load of wood (topic related) and I saw a farmer I know was combining some corn about a 1/4 mile from state hunting land. I already had plans to go pick up a load of wood (more topic related)on that road so I grabbed the crossbow and headed that way. When I got to the parking area there was a truck there. I walked over to the bank (10 yards from the truck) above the creek bottom and did some glassing to look for anyone hunting there before i walked in. . I was looking out and over and not directly below me. Bow stihl in truck. I snapped a branch and a nice 8 point exploded about 10 yards from me in a little briar patch. He ran about 50 yards and stopped and just looked at me. Disgusted I went and got my my load of wood. Just as I finished loading a flock of turkeys walked out in the cornfield and started feeding. Turkey season ended about a week ago. :dumb2:

Ugh!!

I remember one time I was hunting with my father-in-law and had something similar happen. We had just come out of the woods after being on stand all morning. We were walking up a steep hill chatting about what we saw or didn't see that morning. I had already started unloading my shotgun and we crested the top of the hill. there was a small little patch of trees and three deer ran out of there including a nice buck. I couldn't jack the shelves into my shotgun fast enough to get a shot on them. I was so frustrated.

What a day, but that just means you're closer to having a great day :happy:.
Yesterday morning my BIL went out and saw nothing, last night he was letting the dog out and saw an 8 point in the field 100yrds out, the 308 was right next to him leaning against the wall :rock:. What's funny is he shot it right behind the neighbors house, every yr they have "deer camp" there, they were all in the garage when he shot it, it went within 50 yrds of the garage to get to his place :laugh:. Hopefully they will get something today :).

I haven't had the best luck burning red Oak; then again, I haven't cut up a ton of it either.

A huge one fell at my father-in-law's years back that was dead but pretty dang solid. I cut several pick-up loads, took them home, split them, then stacked it all in the garage thinking I could burn it right away as it was dead standing for several years. That stuff would not burn at all! I think I even tried to burn it the following year and it still would not burn. It would just go out like it was full of moisture. I know the first year you could see the water bubbling out of it when I would throw a chunk on top of some good coals, so I know it had moisture in it.

I'm excited to cut some and properly season it.

A year or two ago I posted some pics of a bark less dead standing 20" fresh split that had been cut into a round for 9 months. It was still 44% moisture. Oak needs time. If sugar maple grew straight though I'd only take oak if it was free. It is my favorite around here. Coals up so nice and burns nuclear. I'd love to try some hickory like Mark posted above but there is none around here. Same with locust. Some black around here but very tough to find.

A year or two ago I posted some pics of a bark less dead standing 20" fresh split that had been cut into a round for 9 months. It was still 44% moisture. Oak needs time. If sugar maple grew straight though I'd only take oak if it was free. It is my favorite around here. Coals up so nice and burns nuclear. I'd love to try some hickory like Mark posted above but there is none around here. Same with locust. Some black around here but very tough to find.
That makes sense, and lines up with my experience on that red oak. I have some big rounds I cut late winter sitting down by the creek that I need to split and stack. I have a pretty huge one that's been on the ground 5+ years or more. It's somewhat suspended in the air as it fell against a hill. I need to finish bucking it, but the 28" on the 461 ain't enough. The base the trunk is huge.

My woods it full or straight and tall sugar maple. Haven't burned much yet, but have some on the ground bucked and ready to split, and about a face cord already split and stacked. How long does it need to season?

I try to leave those for sapping and maple syrup ;)

That makes sense, and lines up with my experience on that red oak. I have some big rounds I cut late winter sitting down by the creek that I need to split and stack. I have a pretty huge one that's been on the ground 5+ years or more. It's somewhat suspended in the air as it fell against a hill. I need to finish bucking it, but the 28" on the 461 ain't enough. The base the trunk is huge.

My woods it full or straight and tall sugar maple. Haven't burned much yet, but have some on the ground bucked and ready to split, and about a face cord already split and stacked. How long does it need to season?

I try to leave those for sapping and maple syrup ;)
I dry my wood in green houses so 2-3 months :) I think you can dry sugar maple in 9-12 months if it can breathe and be covered.

Are we all covid- fed-up? Are we just not getting much scrounging in? Or are we just a bit fed up of posting about it?

I miss Dan's adventures through the gate, and hope he's ok.

Farmer Steve is still around but doesn't seem to be scrounging as much

Mike has done less wood this year

Svk has done plenty and held the thread up well

Nate.... Great pics but a bit quieter

Cantoo... ??

Just Jeff?

Chipper is about

Philbert. Hmm... The sarcasm level has dropped a little, Philbert is doing less

The Texan yard cleaner with a garden cart?

Joe? Mowing and buying mowers, he's around but not so active

Clarence.... New job and gone quiet

Cowboy.... Needs a new honey hole.... And Victoria has been on the world's longest lockdown

Me? Yeah I'm keeping the piles ticking along but not much to say.... 3 kids, new job and it takes a while to work through a cord of oak. It's nice splitting though.... I've been trying a new technique, read it in the ax book and saw it on buckin's channel... The golf swing works fine on straight grained oak!

Who did I miss? Several I'm sure, no disrespect intended.

'Sarcasm'? me?

Bummed that Thanksgiving is 'not happening' this week, at least in the traditional sense. Was looking forward to catching up with family, after cancelled weddings, missed funerals, and general, other stuff (and stuffing). Not the same on Zoom.

Got fed up with not being able to find stuff, so, as long as we are pretty much stuck at home, starting to clear out some stuff that I am just not using. Posted some things in the 'Trading Post', on Craig's List, and the 'holiday giving thread' on the other site, trips to Goodwill, Re-Use Store, etc. That feels good.

Hanging in there.

Philbert

Are we all covid- fed-up? Are we just not getting much scrounging in? Or are we just a bit fed up of posting about it?

I miss Dan's adventures through the gate, and hope he's ok.

Farmer Steve is still around but doesn't seem to be scrounging as much

Mike has done less wood this year

Svk has done plenty and held the thread up well

Nate.... Great pics but a bit quieter

Cantoo... ??

Just Jeff?

Chipper is about

The Texan yard cleaner with a garden cart?

Joe? Mowing and buying mowers, he's around but not so active

Clarence.... New job and gone quiet

Cowboy.... Needs a new honey hole.... And Victoria has been on the world's longest lockdown

Me? Yeah I'm keeping the piles ticking along but not much to say.... 3 kids, new job and it takes a while to work through a cord of oak. It's nice splitting though.... I've been trying a new technique, read it in the ax book and saw it on buckin's channel... The golf swing works fine on straight grained oak!

Who did I miss? Several I'm sure, no disrespect intended.

Working too much. I plan to cut this weekend, need to break the rattler in.

I'm sure the youth hunters are gonna love me, but oh well.

Yeah similarly, my garden is a heavy clay that turns to a swamp for the wet season, I try to stay off it. Thatmeans I don't like processing wood from about October to April. I will work through the oak though, and if more lands it'll get worked, I just won't go searching for it unless it dries up. I have processed a record amount those year though... About 5 cord since March. I usually am content if I'm 2 years ahead by start of burn season....in only need another cord done by next October!

Back