Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much stop scrounging wood unless it close and easily accessible . Reason being my daughter works at a tree service ,shes the office manager. They drop wood at my place a couple times a month.

I hardly ever scrounge, and I still post pics of my wood adventures ;)

I don't look at this thread as a scrounge thread anymore. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I look at this as a thread of friends that I share with about firewood, chainsaws, etc.

I hardly ever scrounge, and I still post pics of my wood adventures ;)

I don't look at this thread as a scrounge thread anymore. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I look at this as a thread of friends that I share with about firewood, chainsaws, etc.
Must admit I agree, I enjoy the scrounge posts as much as everything else posted.

I have over scrounged. Easy to do when you get on this site. Woohoo free wood! Run and get it, take a picture of your saw on top of the stump, the pile, the back of the truck.... Anyway I have 3 years worth so I may take next year off and just fish. I gave my last call for free wood to a friend. It was even already cut to length, sigh. So now I'm just here to slobber over everyone else's scrounges. And talk about maple syrup and what caliber is best for deer at 350 yards, favorite pocket knives, trailers, saws, trucks....

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Hey JustJeff, I drove by your place yesterday and you got a whole lot more room there for splits. And that big old log isn't going to cut itself.
I left Sudbury at 5 am, drove to Wingham office to pick up some paperwork then up to a jobsite in Meaford then back to the office and then home, 11 hours behind the wheel. That seems like a typical day for me this year.

Just finished two weeks of good times on the NC coast. I managed to kill 2 deer, a doe and a spike, I didnt realize was a spike until I saw his nuts. I also killed a 230lb bear. All told we killed 20 deer, 2-8 pointers and 5 bear. Treed several bear that we let go, had sows with 2 cubs in the same tree at least 3 times. I just finished cutting the meat getting ready to make burger and sausage tomorrow. Going to try mixing pork sausage with deer to make a breakfast sausage, dont know how it will work out. Pic to come when I get them downloaded

LondonNeal, this year has been crazy for us and next year is looking even worse. I work for a Modular house builder and we are being swamped with orders. City people trying to get out of the City, people retiring to cottages full time plus all our regular business. We build houses for Indian Reservations also and the Government just made an announcement of another $800 million for housing. We can't hire enough people or build quick enough.
I'm still doing some cutting even though I have enough wood for a couple of years. Most of the auctions are online now so that eats up a pile of my time just looking at pictures and bidding. My wife has had to go to the sites to pick the stuff up because I have no time. She's real happy about that. I still try to post a couple of pictures once in awhile. Here is a house we set last week.

Attachments

• 20201115_131519.jpg
    20201115_131519.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20201110_165605.jpg
    20201110_165605.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
I have over scrounged. Easy to do when you get on this site. Woohoo free wood! Run and get it, take a picture of your saw on top of the stump, the pile, the back of the truck.... Anyway I have 3 years worth so I may take next year off and just fish. I gave my last call for free wood to a friend. It was even already cut to length, sigh. So now I'm just here to slobber over everyone else's scrounges. And talk about maple syrup and what caliber is best for deer at 350 yards, favorite pocket knives, trailers, saws, trucks....

Luckily, I'm in the same boat since my latest bad news. I go by the dwindling logs yards from time to time in case something new has been dropped off. The icing on the cake is the farmer has three field tree lines the tree guy is going to take out. The bad new is he's buying a firewood processor so not much will be passing my way.

Just finished two weeks of good times on the NC coast. I managed to kill 2 deer, a doe and a spike, I didnt realize was a spike until I saw his nuts. I also killed a 230lb bear. All told we killed 20 deer, 2-8 pointers and 5 bear. Treed several bear that we let go, had sows with 2 cubs in the same tree at least 3 times. I just finished cutting the meat getting ready to make burger and sausage tomorrow. Going to try mixing pork sausage with deer to make a breakfast sausage, dont know how it will work out. Pic to come when I get them downloaded
Do you eat the bear meat? Not sure if you can??

Luckily, I'm in the same boat since my latest bad news. I go by the dwindling logs yards from time to time in case something new has been dropped off. The icing on the cake is the farmer has three field tree lines the tree guy is going to take out. The bad new is he's buying a firewood processor so not much will be passing my way.
Dont worry mate, my honey pot got empty, then another right up the street opened up to me, and possibly another new place as well. I still have to go meet the property owners for the new, new place but that can wait till after deer season. God takes, but he provides.

Do you eat the bear meat? Not sure if you can??
We usually eat the liver and heart the same day as the kill. We will cook up a stew the next day to keep us fed at camp during the week. Gall bladder is used to dissolve gall stones and treat liver disease. Used to be a big market for the gall bladder, but I haven't heard of anybody buying or selling in several years.

.30-06, best caliber for all distances...

But, because the king here in Ohio says no HP rifles, .450BM fits the bill out to 250 or so. Not likely to shoot beyond 200 at deer, and most of the time it's less than 100.

LondonNeal, this year has been crazy for us and next year is looking even worse. I work for a Modular house builder and we are being swamped with orders. City people trying to get out of the City, people retiring to cottages full time plus all our regular business. We build houses for Indian Reservations also and the Government just made an announcement of another $800 million for housing. We can't hire enough people or build quick enough.
I'm still doing some cutting even though I have enough wood for a couple of years. Most of the auctions are online now so that eats up a pile of my time just looking at pictures and bidding. My wife has had to go to the sites to pick the stuff up because I have no time. She's real happy about that. I still try to post a couple of pictures once in awhile. Here is a house we set last week.
No picture of my spreader bar?!

Cut up a small pile of locust poles and stacked same then turned to on the split/stack of willow rounds. 2 trailer loads split/stacked. My legs could have gone for another load but I was readyi for a coffee break. Somehow I never seem to get back to work after that.

I have a new Black Diamond spitter with Briggs engine. It has caused problems 3 times now with sticking needle valve.

Today for my first load I pulled until I couildn't pull any more, choke on, choke off, not even a cough. Okay pull plug to check if flooded. Sckrench would'nt fit. Okay - to the shop for a plug wrench. I was looking for a couple sizes to take back when the light dawned. It was an idiosyncrasy of that motor. I found that you can pull forever and it won't start until you turn the ignition switch on. True story.

My work had a good stack of hard / soft wood pallets so i took them home to disassemble to burn.
I use to work at a place that had a constant supply of pallets, too. I'd use a circular saw and cut along the runners and then box up the pieces of the slats for kindling. Easy to split with a hatchet. The runners with all the nails went in the dumpster. Usually those twist nails which are a PITA to pull.

Welcome to AS Mr. Roll.
Nice score, do you burn a lot of wood down that way.
probably less wood than a average person up north my house is little under 1000 sq feet and my stove is small. Wood is my best option considering what electricity cost during peak hrs here.

4 piece duplex?

Latest posts

Back