Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut up a small pile of locust poles and stacked same then turned to on the split/stack of willow rounds. 2 trailer loads split/stacked. My legs could have gone for another load but I was readyi for a coffee break. Somehow I never seem to get back to work after that.

I have a new Black Diamond spitter with Briggs engine. It has caused problems 3 times now with sticking needle valve.

Today for my first load I pulled until I couildn't pull any more, choke on, choke off, not even a cough. Okay pull plug to check if flooded. Sckrench would'nt fit. Okay - to the shop for a plug wrench. I was looking for a couple sizes to take back when the light dawned. It was an idiosyncrasy of that motor. I found that you can pull forever and it won't start until you turn the ignition switch on. True story.

This is why I've been converting my 2-series huskies to the spring loaded on/stop switches, because I have been that guy more times than I'd like to admit.

Cut up a small pile of locust poles and stacked same then turned to on the split/stack of willow rounds. 2 trailer loads split/stacked. My legs could have gone for another load but I was readyi for a coffee break. Somehow I never seem to get back to work after that.

I have a new Black Diamond spitter with Briggs engine. It has caused problems 3 times now with sticking needle valve.

Today for my first load I pulled until I couildn't pull any more, choke on, choke off, not even a cough. Okay pull plug to check if flooded. Sckrench would'nt fit. Okay - to the shop for a plug wrench. I was looking for a couple sizes to take back when the light dawned. It was an idiosyncrasy of that motor. I found that you can pull forever and it won't start until you turn the ignition switch on. True story.
I bought another splitter to sell this week, when I pulled on it the rope came right out and went across my chest, the engine caught and pulled the cord back in. I had a hoodie on and it still managed to make an abrasion on my chest, and bruised me too :cry: . The good thing is it only did that twice :dumb:.
Yesterday I pulled the cover off it and removed the flywheel to see if the key was sheared, ends up it was fine, so I put it back together. What's funny is it fired right up, not sure exactly what the problem was, glad you figured out what "your" problem was :lol:.

:crazy2:
Guess it's good since you weren't feeling great, any better?
I'm far from 100% but I'm working. Sure won't be slugging rounds for a while. Thanks for asking. Going to cut some cookies for a lady today for some crafts. I'm actually looking forward to getting the saw going!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I'm far from 100% but I'm working. Sure won't be slugging rounds for a while. Thanks for asking. Going to cut some cookies for a lady today for some crafts. I'm actually looking forward to getting the saw going!

At least your moving around, most times that helps with the healing, and even if it doesn't it still helps moral. I hate not being able to do anything.
Speaking of moving, we're wrapping up loading a moving truck for a friend, my foot isn't exactly happy with me after dropping a split on it yesterday. Should have had my steel toed boots on instead of my running shoes o_O. It's been a painful weekend so far lol.
Have fun cutting the cookies:chainsaw:.

Brett
I had a Harbor Freight horizontal piston engine on a 22 ton splitter that would kick back and pull the starter handle out of your hand .I did the same pulled the flywheel and key was good , put it back together and it still kicked back.. Drained the fuel system cleaned carb and ran small wire through jets , Float bowl had the white jelly from ethanol in it but no corrosion. Put back together, fresh fuel and starts just fine . Hard to say, bad fuel would cause preignition.. but its running great now.
John

Brett
I had a Harbor Freight horizontal piston engine on a 22 ton splitter that would kick back and pull the starter handle out of your hand .I did the same pulled the flywheel and key was good , put it back together and it still kicked back.. Drained the fuel system cleaned carb and ran small wire through jets , Float bowl had the white jelly from ethanol in it but no corrosion. Put back together, fresh fuel and starts just fine . Hard to say, bad fuel would cause preignition.. but its running great now.
John

I put a brand new briggs on my old splitter last year or the year before. Has only ever seen non-ethanol fuel (100LL). It's gotten me a few times, same thing, yanks the string out of your hands and smacks you good on the way back in. Never had one do that to me before.

Now, I'm always careful how I tug on it. Thankfully it usually starts first or second pull.

I need to get a tack on them. My ear is telling me that the XS (Huskihl) is turning more rpms, but I'm still working on the Rattler's tune. She's still a little fat.

At some point, I don't know when, I plan to do a video side-by-side with them running the same bar and chain. I actually plan to use a brand new EXL chain with one, do some cuts, then throw the same bar and another new EXL chain on the other and repeat. It's the most apples to apples way to do it I can think of. I've already got a couple trees in the woods that I'm thinking of using for the cookies, or maybe I can wait and use the red Oak that @chipper1 is going to drop for me LOL
Give them both time to break in (at least 10 but preferably 20 tanks) and are both Tuned properly. Back to back with the same chain.

Brett
John
Funny, but not in a ha ha way :oops: .
Glad it's working well for you now. I've never seen that happen either, and I've worked on a lot of small engines, I'm just gonna chalk it up to being "made in China" lol. Kinda odd mine worked fine after pulling it apart and reassembling it again. Cool we both went for the flywheel first :cheers:.
I have another I need to clean the coil and flywheel side off as they are rusty and it has no spark, I already have it apart, may do it today yet. This one I'll take the time to get going well(even if I need to put an engine on it) as it's a nice looking unit, the other I'm selling at a discounted price as it is more of a project.
I put a brand new briggs on my old splitter last year or the year before. Has only ever seen non-ethanol fuel (100LL). It's gotten me a few times, same thing, yanks the string out of your hands and smacks you good on the way back in. Never had one do that to me before.

Now, I'm always careful how I tug on it. Thankfully it usually starts first or second pull.
Not sure what caused it, but it surely has me hesitant to pull it :yes:.

Give them both time to break in (at least 10 but preferably 20 tanks) and are both Tuned properly. Back to back with the same chain.

Binford should be broke in good now, have been running it as my primary for a while. Not sure how much time is on the rattler, I think Mile said not much.

Same chain, but brand new for each so it's a fresh chain for both.

For some reason my generator won't start until I open the gas cock.
Did that just the other day. Due to the needle valve sticking I tuirn the gas off everytime I shut it down. I was splitting along when the motor coughed and died. WTH?? pull, pull and repeat until I remember the gas valve. If this keeps up I'll be sent to a rest home...

10 lbs of brisket in my charcoal grill smoked with apple wood!
bad43db9229b46121389f6840f537052.jpg

No picture of my spreader bar?!

Here's your spreader bar. It held up again. And to keep it firewood related a few pictures of my work truck. I have a lot of big Poplar trees around my place so when they predicted high winds I moved my work truck up close to the shop away from the trees. Dang if the chimney didn't blow over and roll down the roof. I had a ladder on the roof rack and it just missed it. The roof, hood, front fender and the mirror broke it's fall. 3' and a 2' section came apart at the seam. Ruined the pipe too. And I don't even use the chimney, it's heated with my OWB the furnace is just backup. And a bonus picture of what happens when you drive too fast on a winding hilly gravel road. Heard it was likely people from Sudbury heading to the Dispensary and in a hurry. Was 2 really spectacular ones last week too.
Panolo, yup this one is a 4 piece duplex, we setting an identical one first week of December right beside it. The other guys are working on the 5 or 6 set in near Chapleau. We are building a few sixplex ones too.

Attachments

• 20201110_101745.jpg
    20201110_101745.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20201110_102623.jpg
    20201110_102623.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20201118_091232.jpg
    20201118_091232.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20201118_091252.jpg
    20201118_091252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20201116_172134.jpg
    20201116_172134.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 20201118_091328.jpg
    20201118_091328.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 36
Had a fun day today... well kind of. After work I decided to go fill the feeder. The hogs (aka deer) ate another 250-300lbs of corn... While down in the woods, I noticed the last wind storm knocked down a nice dead ash. One I was a little worried about felling.

2032592A-FADF-4228-87F1-B6D57B59CF46.jpeg

Problem was, it was across the creek. I have a spot I normally cross at, but we had some rain, and well... I got the tractor stuck. Ugh! First time she's ever been stuck.

1F0F1703-BAAC-433F-AE7D-A944B31E5D50.jpeg

Had to go get the F350 and the wife to pull me out, then I ran a long chain across the creek and grabbed half the log. LOL. This will be the log I run the 254s on. Is about 16-18", so should be perfect. Now to figure out how to get the rest of the tree...

82FB3323-B65E-4126-A2B5-7569D503383F.jpeg

Oh, and my bro made me a saw holder for the tractor. Need to mount it better, but it worked great hauling Binford.

FC2671CF-8318-4110-BCB2-0DCE46FCB87B.jpeg

Sorry for the lack of posts, don’t want overwhelm the site and slow it down anymore than it is with my pictures, but I’ll try to do better ; ) scrounging been kinda slow sense I been cutting for a logger on Fridays3C17D42E-4A86-496C-BBAC-CD1E01B8FEB0.jpeg3B5BB800-1888-48B7-8851-3388EEF7C8D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 1FA1D7FC-651F-4582-B383-DF90B36D1E73.jpeg
    1FA1D7FC-651F-4582-B383-DF90B36D1E73.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
Back