Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of you today when I cased it up. Having a hell of a time finding ammo for it! And I’ve only got a little bit of 44 in reserve for self defense.

Have a friend looking at some gun shops down in the cities tomorrow.
Ammo is none existent here. I bought a couple boxes of 44 bullets to reload with while I was out on the coast. The simplest answer for your 44 mag problem is to just send the Ruger to me. I promise to use it and keep it fed a steady diet of 240 grain rounds. I might even consider taking that Dan Wesson off your hands as well.

Thanks buddy, I’ll let my brother know, it’s his handy work, he does great! It will go to 1600’ but not supposed to go over 500’ so you don’t interfere with planes. Not sure if it will or not, my brother was flying it fallowing my son for the video. A dolmar rides in the mail truck.
Wow, thats pretty high.
Bet that drone ain't cheap. Is he doing video for people/businesses.
Dolmar getting the mail out one tree at a time.

She was squatted good. Got another load today of green elm and sugar maple. She was squatting even more!

View attachment 871008
Looks like you need side boards and some helper springs lol.
Thats a nice load.
Why you cutting green wood?
Funny steve posted a picture of the flying squirrel right after our conversation about them.

Sh!t happens!!. I shot that bear with my ruger 44 carbine. I tried to convince SVK to let me aquire Zoggers old ruger 44 carbine and I would have used it to get that bear. Alas, the Zogger carbine went back to Minnesota.
Thats awesome, never seen a bear in the wild, but I've never gone looking. When we went to Wisconsin Dell's I did get yelled at for petting the bears, told them if they didn't want us touching them they should have made the fence higher :laugh: .

Looks like you need side boards and some helper springs lol.
Thats a nice load.
Why you cutting green wood?
Funny steve posted a picture of the flying squirrel right after our conversation about them.

The Sugar maple had the top blown off in a wind storm, so I fell the main trunk and bucked her up. The elm was in my way on my one trail, so I dropped it too.

Went to the cabin again, by myself, Fri - Sun! Could have had a doe late Fri (was 50 yds broadside) in the fog, but no doe tag! Only the 2nd time in over 30 years they did not give me a doe tag even though I am a 50 acre landowner (that gives you a high preference). Don't understand why, there are a good # of deer this year (based on the sign).

So when you are up there alone, in the outhouse early in the morning when it is still pitch black, and a Bobcat lets our a loud whale (and it is close), it is nice to have a permit so you can emerge with a flashlight in one hand and your handgun in the other!

Weather was very erratic, which did not help, and did not conform to the forecasts! Temps from high 50s to low 20s, calm, then windy, back and forth. Rain, Fog, Sun, Snow Storm (no accumulation, but cold + windy when it came in, and I was up in a stand).

But, I took a few pics for you all to enjoy, a different look from two separate locations. The two pics from the lifeguard stand don't have branches in the way because I previously cleared that view! But I think I'll have to do a bit more next year.

Two pics from rock outcropping 100 acres away, and two pics from my lifeguard stand, both with and w/o telephoto. Sometimes, that fog engulfed my cabin!

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_081946322.jpg
    IMG_20201129_081946322.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201129_082000715.jpg
    IMG_20201129_082000715.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20201129_090612812.jpg
    IMG_20201129_090612812.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20201129_090711201.jpg
    IMG_20201129_090711201.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Great pictures Mike!
Wow, thats pretty high.
Bet that drone ain't cheap. Is he doing video for people/businesses.
Dolmar getting the mail out one tree at a time.
It’s actually not bad, around $400. He does some work with it, cell tower inspections mostly. The one he uses at his job is little more, $20,000 with a $200,000 camera, laser line surveying thingy.

I can see this fire tower (barely, in the distance, with 8X binoculars) from my mountain. My property is at 2,200 feet and this is at 3,200 ft elevation.

The nearby radio towers (on both sides) are more clearly visible and much taller. I believe these towers have provided us with much improved cell service over the years, but there is still no service at the bottom of the mountain till you get near Rte 17.

So much cool history/folklore associated with NYS and the Catskills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utsayantha_Mountain

I was offered a load of poplar today and turned it down because free or not i will burn pine before poplar. But i managed to get a load of hardwood / softwood pallets to disassemble into firewood.
Why pine over poplar? I’ve never burned pine inside. I made a bunch of kindling out of poplar though.

Why pine over poplar? I’ve never burned pine inside. I made a bunch of kindling out of poplar though.
To much ash and little heat and pine is easy to get here and everybody gives it away but i let it season for a year before using anyway it burns nice and hot which is what i want.
Something i couldn't get from poplar.

Congrats Maud, nice deer, but no baiting allowed here in NY. I went a long, long time w/o taking an in tact 8 pt buck. The first deer I got with the bow (in 83) would have been a nice 8 point, but one antler was broken! I took him from the ground, still hunting with a compound bow. Heck, I even hunted many years before taking my first deer!

In the last decade, in addition to other deer, I've taken 3 - 8 point bucks and a 7 point buck (missing a brow tine). Likely some of it is due to using tree stands more, and improvements made to climbing tree stands. My first climbing tree stand was very crude, and I never did get a deer while using it. My Summit folding climber is so much more comfortable, and has the optional shooting rail (was hard to get, always back ordered). Staying still for longer, and steading your shot really improves your chances of success.

I really did not use a tree stand much (my Uncle thought they were unethical unless you were bow hunting) until my property got hit with an F3 Tornado in 1998. The canopy has not been the same since then, I lost about 40% of the trees on my 50 acres, and the remaining large trees are more vulnerable to strong winds as a result. The undergrowth got so thick that hunting from the ground became impractical.

Latest posts

Back