Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you probably drove within sight of the ridgeline I live on in the northern tip of Chester County. I am in the woods around my house if it's daylight, and have the firepit lit while I drag, saw, split and stack. Always welcome anyone who wants to stop by and lean on a Dolmar, or swing the Fiskars, or hitch to the log arch, or even just sit by the fire for some rehydration.
View attachment 881921
I live about an hour away from ya In lebanon.
I don’t get up that way a lot but I’ll keep you in mind. We’re supposed to be at a concert in Hershey this spring. We’ll see!
Were hoping the concert season opens back up too, I just started working as a mechanic for the park about 3 months ago, we do the stage rigging at the park and giant center. No we dont get free tickets.
Howdy scroungers. Haven't runna saw in weeks, going through some withdrawals.

How's everyone's wood piles doing? I haven't even burned through one hole stack yet (which each stack is somewhere between 1/2-3/4 of a cord). Need to measure them and do the math again.

Got a new "project", swapping in a replacement rear handle/tank on my buddy's 066 that I borrow from time to time. Have never done one before. Gonna check the fuel/impulse lines and what not while I'm in there.
Growing almost daily. The load from yesterday.
20210113_151339.jpg

Nearly all oak.
16105814242723457451112410008203.jpg
Should have taken a picture earlier, I'll get another tomorrow.

Were hoping the concert season opens back up too, I just started working as a mechanic for the park about 3 months ago, we do the stage rigging at the park and giant center. No we dont get free tickets.

View attachment 882127

Nearly all oak.
View attachment 882128

Looks good. I haven't cut anything since Christmas Eve, which still have 2/3 of that trailer load to split. I plan to do it with my axes vs the splitter. I could use the exercise.

Not much for firewood but it’ll probably be used outside in the fire pit area. Had two different eastern white pines that needed to be looked at before they broke, which I’m assuming could’ve happened anytime with our winters. We purchased our house in September and always worried about these splits. Decided to cut the affected sections for now. Glad they’re down. Had a couple helpers with me too! (Only one on picture)
Nice work, that was a sketchy one.
In the pic with the little guy seeing that notch up so high makes me think you're taller than in your avatar lol.

Looks good. I haven't cut anything since Christmas Eve, which still have 2/3 of that trailer load to split. I plan to do it with my axes vs the splitter. I could use the exercise.
If you're getting the weather we are you'll be sure to burn plenty of calories. They are saying 38 or 42 here tomorrow depending on where I look :havingarest:.

Nice work, that was a sketchy one.
In the pic with the little guy seeing that notch up so high makes me think you're taller than in your avatar lol.
It was sketchy. I’m just your amateur firewood cutter but I had to get on the top of my ladder. I decided to cut above the splits because I didn’t know how it would react once I started to cut. Both sections fell exactly where and when I wanted. Win win!

It was sketchy. I’m just your amateur firewood cutter but I had to get on the top of my ladder. I decided to cut above the splits because I didn’t know how it would react once I started to cut. Both sections fell exactly where and when I wanted. Win win!
Been there.
You have to be real careful cutting on a ladder, but lots of ground experience helps.
Many of the tree cutting/chainsaw fail videos are guys on ladders :yes:, the ladder fails start at 4:00.

Most pro tree guys are against using ladders for tree work, but I think as with all things we need to find the balance in things.
This video shows some fails and how to avoid them.

Been there.
You have to be real careful cutting on a ladder, but lots of ground experience helps.
Many of the tree cutting/chainsaw fail videos are guys on ladders :yes:, the ladder fails start at 4:00.

Most pro tree guys are against using ladders for tree work, but I think as with all things we need to find the balance in things.
This video shows some fails and how to avoid them.

Absolutely! I wouldn’t have used a ladder had I been better equipped. It was pretty sturdy and I’m still here to tell the story. Thanks for your concern :) And yes, I’m typically a boots on the ground kind of guy, unless the opportunity occurs to climb a bit... cos I like it
Edit: dropping those two sections was absolutely dreadful because I hadn’t realized my chain was done. Slapped a brand new one after they were dropped and then I was laughing, not them.

Absolutely! I wouldn’t have used a ladder had I been better equipped. It was pretty sturdy and I’m still here to tell the story. Thanks for your concern :) And yes, I’m typically a boots on the ground kind of guy, unless the opportunity occurs to climb a bit... cos I like it
I use ladders and cut out of the bucket of the tractor or out of the back of a truck sometimes. Many situations it's better to do that than to cut overhead or one handed which are also frowned on.
You should watch that second video, Daniel isn't the typical tree guy, I like that.

View attachment 882127

Nearly all oak.
View attachment 882128
your one of those few, that still have your rear hubcaps...………...

We had a friend out here clearing a branch for his new metal building on a ladder out of the back of his truck he landed on his head his wife came outside and found him dead. Be careful with ladders

We had a friend out here clearing a branch for his new metal building on a ladder out of the back of his truck he landed on his head his wife came outside and found him dead. Be careful with ladders
It’s been about 10 years since that happened but it was a real eye opener

You wouldn't think we burn much wood in NE Florida, but every year or two we'll get a colder than normal winter that makes it nice to have a fire..We have a fireplace, but I burn most of the wood in my firepit..Lots of trees where we are, particularly oak..someone is always cutting a tree down or inevitably one will fall in a storm..Christmas eve we had a huge live oak go down across the main street in our neighborhood. I went out with another guy and cut it up..Got enough wood for my purposes for two or three years from that one tree..Most of the wood I get is from cruising around and looking for piles right before yard pick up day..Lot's of folks also post up on craiglist with free wood, so I usually keep an eye on that as well..One thing I've learned from my scrounging is always wear gloves and cover your arms..last batch I picked up must have had poison ivy in it..that wasn't fun..

In 1975 I bought a 1974 Harley Sportster "Kick Start". Paid the guy, started her up. Went up the street to the main stop light in town.
She cut off setting at the light. Kicked and kicked and kicked. Pushed her over to the sidewalk and kicked some more.
The fuel valve was off. Never made that mistake again.
I had an old Kawasaki "Air craft." It was kick start too, and I kept it in our unfinished basement, in Dad's workshop. Had some friends over and wanted to ride through the farm. Rolled it out and kicked and kicked Woulldn't start. My 6'6" 300 hundred pund friend got on it and started kicking and then the kick start wouldn't return to the up position. He stripped the shaft. Then we started looking closer. It was dripping gas out the carb and Dad stuffed a shop rag in the carb. From then on I had to roll it down a hill to jump start.

If you're getting the weather we are you'll be sure to burn plenty of calories. They are saying 38 or 42 here tomorrow depending on where I look :havingarest:.

Ewww. I need the ground to freeze here, it's stupid muddy. It was partially frozen yestersay, which means the top layer of frozen soil would slip off the wet mud underneath, making it real fun to move around. I'm hoping I don't rut the field too bad when I go to put out the next round bale.

Speak of, any cattle operators here? I'm having a really hard time getting two open cows bred. They are good cows who have had no issues calving, but they're both been open for 2 years or more and now I can't get them to take. Might have to get a bull and see if he'd can get'er done??

Back