Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The very best free wood was from the Rail tie treatment plant. Awesome blocks of oak gum popular. Some were 18in or more long. Lawyers sued them out of business. I still have about a trailer load held back from maybe 15 years ago waiting on hard times.
Hope it was the untreated wood that you burned!

Philbert

One thing I learned about quality meat and fish, when you take it off the grill you have to eat it NOW. The meat is still hot, so it's still cooking. My first piece was perfect pink in the middle. I ran around the kitchen cleaning up a little, and when I came back the other two pieces were cooked through. They were still delicious, but the first piece was better. Back in the summer, with every one bummed out about covid, we had a mask on cook out. I had caught a big Yellow Fin Tuna a couple days before. The block party was supposed to be every one walk around and say , Hi. I rolled my grill down on the court and cooked 25 pounds of Sushi grade Tuna, took every piece straight off the grill and handed it to the next in line. Only a few of my neighbors had ever had fresh Tuna before. Lots of happy campers went home that day.

I could ramble on about that skillet. It is just one of the best presents I've ever gotten. When we caught the Tuna, one of my neighbors went. He had never been off shore before. So, the following week he took us out on the Chesapeake Bay Rock fishing. We limited out in an hour or so. Got home, filleted the fish, fired up the grill. Same recipe, a little olive oil. Since the top of the skillet is just as hot as the bottom, there is a learning curve. It only took 2 minutes to cook the Rock Fish. No flipping and cook the other side. Glad you guys got started on cast cook ware, other wise I wouldn't have done my steaks like that!
I love my grill pans. I have one Lodge and one older one that I restored that has a wood handle.

I wasn't going to say anything. I hunt the mountains of MD and WV. My go to deer gun is a 250-3000 Savage 99. I know I've shot at least 80-100 deer with the 1950 model R with a Redfield 2-7. I've found that if you shoot them in the eye, no matter how big they are, they die, NOW. The 250 shoots flat enough you use the same point of aim at 200 as you do at 100. I'm getting old and soft. When I was young I loved my Contender with the 14" barrel and 4X Lobo scope, in 35 Remington. I used to want a 416 Rigby Double. Now I want a 275 Rigby bolt.
25 caliber bullet running 3000fps will do that.

Sean, he did say those whoppers are for out west and big stuff. He also said something about the North East Guys. All you had to do is say you do hunt out West, and that doesn't really matter either. All you need to say is it's what you like. I've been getting into single shot target rifles and have found how easy it is to put a round in a target the size of a quarter. I haven't ruined an ounce of meat since I started shooting stuff in the eye or ear. I've been invited to hunt bear in Oregon, think I'll use one of my 1899's in 303 Savage.
You bring up a good point about shooting in the eye. I like head shots, you either kill it dead or you miss. Not a lot of wiggle room. I notice a lot was said about brush deflecting the bullet. I will say if you are shooting a deer in brush, you dont need a long range cartridge because if the deer is in the brush, you aint going to see it at long range. Many a hunter will buy the biggest and best rifle they can afford and put on a great big scope and then climb in a tree in the middle of the woods, where that big scope isnt necessary and probably a handicap, and a el cheapo rifle would have been just as effective. I take my 270 out on the coast every year. Long shots are possible and probable, but the 2 deer I killed with that rifle this year where probably 35 or 40 yards and just barely visible. I almost didnt shoot one because I couldnt find it in the scope, power turned up to high. If I had been 100 yards away, I wouldnt of even seen it. My 44 carbine with open sights would have been a better choice for that particular deer, but when you are hunting the edges of 400+ acre corn fields, that 44 magnum will be the worse choice more often than the right choice.

Funny thing: I have a neighbor (Air Force vet) that just turned their flag back, right side up, today.

Philbert
Probably the same type of guy to use two .22 in place of a .44.
35 Whelen is on my list of calibers to acquire.

My next gun will be a 20 ga auto. Then a repeating pistol that shoots accurately.
Been wanting to build one of these myself.

And folks were afraid of a rebated cartridge.
I'm not afraid, I've been looking to find some rebated cartridges lol.

My Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 is light, rugged, inexpensive and accurate, and with a 3X9X40 Nikon BDC (Cabela's was selling them for real cheap for a while there) it would be hard to beat in almost any hunting situation other than large dangerous game.

The scope is clear and bright and has a nice wide field of view on 3X.

I load it with the 168 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and a load that is a little hotter than factory.

You also don't have to worry about lead contamination in your meat.

The only "bullet fail" is if it does not kill your deer (etc), there is no such thing as killing it too much. As far as meat destruction is concerned, just don't use a real soft bullet and after that bullet placement is the most important factor. Hit a deer in the shoulder with any good round and the broken bones will do plenty of meat damage. Hit it right behind the shoulder and you can enjoy the shoulder meat.

I would rather have too much bullet than too little. Opportunities up on the mountain are a lot less frequent then in the suburbs near me or on a farm, so I want all attempts to be successful.

I love my grill pans. I have one Lodge and one older one that I restored that has a wood handle.
One thing I like about the steel handle, I can just take the steak out and leave the pan in the grill to cool. Then I have to remember to go back out and get it. One time I grilled late summer. Then wanted to cook something in the kitchen, cussed and cussed, couldn’t find my pan. Grill had the cover on it. First time I opened the grill in the spring, there was my pan.

My Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 is light, rugged, inexpensive and accurate, and with a 3X9X40 Nikon BDC (Cabela's was selling them for real cheap for a while there) it would be hard to beat in almost any hunting situation other than large dangerous game.

The scope is clear and bright and has a nice wide field of view on 3X.

I load it with the 168 gr Barnes TTSX bullets and a load that is a little hotter than factory.

You also don't have to worry about lead contamination in your meat.

The only "bullet fail" is if it does not kill your deer (etc), there is no such thing as killing it too much. As far as meat destruction is concerned, just don't use a real soft bullet and after that bullet placement is the most important factor. Hit a deer in the shoulder with any good round and the broken bones will do plenty of meat damage. Hit it right behind the shoulder and you can enjoy the shoulder meat.

I would rather have too much bullet than too little. Opportunities up on the mountain are a lot less frequent then in the suburbs near me or on a farm, so I want all attempts to be successful.
Out side of the tika the wife bought I dont own what I would call an expensive rifle. Few savages, a winchester, Stevens, an h&r, few others. My "big scopes" are 4-14 x 44. Most of the time I like to have a general optic that can work at a variety of ranges. I like the 3-9 range for most guns, I've just found the 4- 12/14/16 with a 44mm bell work the best at longer ranges without spending too much in glass. Even around here you can get into longer shots.
I've always maintained bullet selection is critical, I tend to prefer heavy for caliber bullets most times, save the 338 when deer hunting, it gets a 200gr sst. I average 2990-3000fps with the load I have worked up for it.
The ttsx line is a fantastic line as well, I use it in my 458 socom, and got some in 7mm and 30cal to try out. 150 and 180gr respectively. I expect they should shoot and perform well.

Out side of the tika the wife bought I dont own what I would call an expensive rifle. Few savages, a winchester, Stevens, an h&r, few others. My "big scopes" are 4-14 x 44. Most of the time I like to have a general optic that can work at a variety of ranges. I like the 3-9 range for most guns, I've just found the 4- 12/14/16 with a 44mm bell work the best at longer ranges without spending too much in glass. Even around here you can get into longer shots.
I've always maintained bullet selection is critical, I tend to prefer heavy for caliber bullets most times, save the 338 when deer hunting, it gets a 200gr sst. I average 2990-3000fps with the load I have worked up for it.
The ttsx line is a fantastic line as well, I use it in my 458 socom, and got some in 7mm and 30cal to try out. 150 and 180gr respectively. I expect they should shoot and perform well.
This is one of my favorite scopes, fixed 3x, Malcolm model 1912. Cost me $900 and he threw the riffle in free, or the rifle cost $900 and he threw the scope in free, forget which?
4mZ5ywy.jpg

There really are two Minnesota's. What the metro area has turned into makes most of us out state folks sick. We'd be fine if they walled it off and became their own state.
Yes. Unfortunately the older union folks up here haven’t seen the light either and still support the party that claims to represent unions.

It is my opinion that many folks who never leave a city and especially those who make it their goal to permanently be on assistance when they shouldn’t be are divorced from reality.

If I don’t like what’s going on around me, I’ve got three options. Be a part making the change for the better, deal with it, or move. I most certainly am not going to go into my town and burn down the businesses owned by my friends and neighbors to prove a point. Everyone loses.

This is one of my favorite scopes, fixed 3x, Malcolm model 1912. Cost me $900 and he threw the riffle in free, or the rifle cost $900 and he threw the scope in free, forget which?
4mZ5ywy.jpg
My older brother has our grandpops Springfield in 06, fixed 3 power scope, the bell is tiny to say the least, it performs very well for him as it did grand pop. There is something to be admired about the simplicity of a fixed power scope.

There really are two Minnesota's. What the metro area has turned into makes most of us out state folks sick. We'd be fine if they walled it off and became their own state.
Starting to feel like that around here when you run into town anymore. Big ole rat race, and slums. I do my best to stay away. Almost feels like philly.

In 30 cal, give the 168 gr a try. My reasons are as follows:

1) The 168 gr (unlike the 165, etc) emulate the military Match bullet profile for better accuracy.

2) The solid bullets are almost indestructible, so weight is far less important.

3) Because there is no lead, they are long for their weight, so to get a bullet to stabilize like a 180 normally would, you need to go down to 168 (the longer a bullet is, the harder it is to stabilize, all other things equal). The 168 gr is likely as long as 180 gr lead filled bullets. Both the 180 and 168 Barnes will penetrate about the same in test medium, which is about 50% deeper than traditional full mushroom bullets.

4mZ5ywy.jpg
Beautiful looking rig there Joe, but my old eyes prefer the newer scopes, especially when conditions are not ideal.

In 30 cal, give the 168 gr a try. My reasons are as follows:

1) The 168 gr (unlike the 165, etc) emulate the military Match bullet profile for better accuracy.

2) The solid bullets are almost indestructible, so weight is far less important.

3) Because there is no lead, they are long for their weight, so to get a bullet to stabilize like a 180 normally would, you need to go down to 168 (the longer a bullet is, the harder it is to stabilize, all other things equal). The 168 gr is likely as long as 180 gr lead filled bullets. Both the 180 and 168 Barnes will penetrate about the same in test medium, which is about 50% deeper than traditional full mushroom bullets.
I did have some Remington match 168 gr factory loads I shot through the 308 with excellent results, I'll have to see if I can find some in the ttsx or may be the gmx from hornady. The 180 I've had good results hunting with sierra game king sbt, so I just figured I'd try the same with a solid this time around.

If I don’t like what’s going on around me, I’ve got three options. Be a part making the change for the better, deal with it, or move.
The 4th is to shut up and accept it. If people aren't going to do anything I have no interest in listening to them complain.
Sad that so many are leaving the areas which have some of the greatest resources because these areas have become so woke.
I honestly wish they'd go back to sleep/back to how we should be living simple lives as God designed us to live, there's a reason things are as messed up as they are.

Hey Chipper, what size metric allen key will fit the muffler/cylinder bolts for a Husky 390XP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure, mine aren't labeled, I just grab the one that works :D.
Do you have any, if not just order a quality set and you'll have them all. My sets are cheap(not even sure where they came from), but they've gotten me by for many yrs working on automotive and saws. I do what I can to avoid working on them at all :yes:.
Did you get a new saw :popcorn2:.

Back