Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there's an "idea" that there's a couple less ;).
Back off topic, I missed a chipmunk a couple weekends ago with a 223. It was on the back side of my burn pile, when I went to look to see if I got it, I could see the bullet veered off because I hit a branch. I need to pick up a .50 for those brush shots lol.
Let me know when you get it, a 50 big is on my bucket list.

My daughter played Basketball from middle school thru college. We took her down town to see a Mystics game. There was an old black guy leaning against the wall with a guitar singing. I remember his lyrics, “you all came to see some basketball, all I need is some alcohol”. I handed him a twenty, and thanked him for his entertainment. I knew where he was headed. When I worked for UPS I had a pan handler on a corner where I made a left every day. If I ate at McD’s that day, I’d bring him a value meal with a Dr Pepper. His sign read: homeless, hungry, need help, Vietnam Vet, God bless. He was way younger than me, and I’m too young to be a Vietnam vet. Don’t have expectations of pan handlers. You did what you could. Maybe the next guy gave him a Big Mac to go with his Night Train.
The folks on street corners are often part of conglomerate ran by (for a lack better terms) a pimp. This person arranges who sits at what corner, what sign they use, and how long they sit there. The pimp also gets a portion of their take. I’ve seen the “shift change” happen several times. A dude drops off a different person, the beggar then sheds his/her ratty outer clothes and gives the clothes and their sign to the next guy. They then walk away looking like a non homeless person.

Some of these professional beggars make over 100k a year.

My daughter played Basketball from middle school thru college. We took her down town to see a Mystics game. There was an old black guy leaning against the wall with a guitar singing. I remember his lyrics, “you all came to see some basketball, all I need is some alcohol”. I handed him a twenty, and thanked him for his entertainment. I knew where he was headed. When I worked for UPS I had a pan handler on a corner where I made a left every day. If I ate at McD’s that day, I’d bring him a value meal with a Dr Pepper. His sign read: homeless, hungry, need help, Vietnam Vet, God bless. He was way younger than me, and I’m too young to be a Vietnam vet. Don’t have expectations of pan handlers. You did what you could. Maybe the next guy gave him a Big Mac to go with his Night Train.
I too appreciate the honesty. I got an older guy that hangs out at the gas station I buy my beer from. He doesn’t beat around the bush. “Young’in can I get a beer” was what he’d say the first few times. Now I just hand him one before jumping in my truck. He knows when I pull in, he’s getting a drink. Guys I work with think I’m nuts, I dunno, at least he’s not asking for money for food and then buy booze.

I too appreciate the honesty. I got an older guy that hangs out at the gas station I buy my beer from. He doesn’t beat around the bush. “Young’in can I get a beer” was what he’d say the first few times. Now I just hand him one before jumping in my truck. He knows when I pull in, he’s getting a drink. Guys I work with think I’m nuts, I dunno, at least he’s not asking for money for food and then buy booze.
Tell your buddies at work to pack sand. Nothing wrong having a heart.

Unfortunately, it is like a lot of other things today ... you can not separate the legitimate ones from the cons.

When I used to work in NYC, there were so many of them I just needed to adopt a policy of not giving. (sometimes it is just a set up to rob you if they see you have money)

It got real difficult when the "begging person" resembled your Grandmother!

Some of these professional beggars make over 100k a year.
My buddy's college roommates would sit in front of the grocery store in grubby clothes panhandling for a couple hours a day for their summer job. They made more money, tax free, than I did working a regular job. Take a day off, go to the beach, party all summer, and basically "work" whenever they felt like it. Who was the dumb one?

I don't give money to panhandlers, homeless, beggars etc. There are lots of programs here in Canada to help them. I do believe in helping those in my community who fall on hard times. I have taken part in fundraisers for people who's house has burned, have cancer, lost a father or husband etc that kind of thing. It needs to be legitimate.
When I talk to my children about helping people, I always use this analogy: If two cars are stuck in the snow, one guy is just sitting there and spinning his tires and the other guy is scooping snow and trying to push his own car out... Who are you inclined to help first. For me it's the guy who is trying to help himself who is the most deserving. Also he's the guy most likely to help me push the other schmuck out because I can't just walk by. Lol!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I don't give money to panhandlers, homeless, beggars etc. There are lots of programs here in Canada to help them. I do believe in helping those in my community who fall on hard times. I have taken part in fundraisers for people who's house has burned, have cancer, lost a father or husband etc that kind of thing. It needs to be legitimate.
When I talk to my children about helping people, I always use this analogy: If two cars are stuck in the snow, one guy is just sitting there and spinning his tires and the other guy is scooping snow and trying to push his own car out... Who are you inclined to help first. For me it's the guy who is trying to help himself who is the most deserving. Also he's the guy most likely to help me push the other schmuck out because I can't just walk by. Lol!

That's sound advice.

Dead elm holding up my coffee cup while I sear a beef roast on the grill. This is called cheating, lol, I season and sear it on the BBQ grill and then toss it in the Crock-Pot for the day.
700c9e5af5a616f5bdd7fb4aae827909.jpg

I'm more inclined to stop and help a red-head with big hooters and a mini-skirt.

I don’t understand your use of 8/4, do you mean 8” X 4”? If so, what does that have to do with my saying 1” or 2”. But now that I’m thinking along these lines, I will want some 4” X 4”.
Reminds me of a guy that told the sawyer that he wanted some one x ones. The sawyer cuts all his logs into 1in x 1in strips. You have to clear on what your asking for when getting wood sawed.
some sawyers talk in 1/4 ers and a 8/4 would be a 2inch thick board.

Back