Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 700 is at my in-laws so I rode the long track Lite tonight. They lived about 2 miles from where I bought it so I left it there cause I already had the Lite on the trailer.

Small world too. Two hours from home, the seller ended up being married to a gal who used to babysit for us and I got his mother in law a job about 15 years ago.

Well the boys and I ran sleds for about an hour and a half tonight. -15 yet I wasn’t cold at all behind the tall windshield. Even my feet were warm in unlined composite toe work boots.
I cant remember a time we rode, that I got cold. Even had an old Massey's that was free air cooled, stayed nice and warm on that. The cooling air over the engine flowed back over the rider

Those free air sleds were cool. I had a 340 Polaris TX free air with with twin round headlights on either side of the jugs sticking through the hood. That thing ate a lot of spark plugs but was fun to ride.
Yeah it was a fun little sled, very light. Very maneuverable.

My latest build, not flight, but still pretty big. That's my 4 yo in the one picture. Engine is still an engine. 34cc should be around 7hp way its ported with that pipe. Still a 2 stroke. Electronics and batteries got better. The rest is more or less the same.
The first and last pics arw the same truck, just different airfilter set up. The side filter sucked too much leaves and grass up.
Looks like fun

She was screaming fast.
That chain was too close to you for sure.
That saw does real well, I need to get it out and run it. I fired it up last week in the basement:chainsaw:, it smelled great :sweet:.
That was some hard cherry I squared up messing around and the chain was a bit aggressive, if it would have been a bit tighter it would have been okay, but it was already pretty tight. On softer wood it would have just kept cutting.
Here it is with the same chain, in the same wood, without tossing the chain lol.

Nice saw (and chain) Brett! I have the opportunity to buy mine back (it’s ported now) sure is tempting.
Well burned enough wood that I’m into my anti withdrawals unsplit wood nowF2B2BB7D-D6C6-42D3-A1A3-CB9AE8261D7C.jpegI like to leave some unsplit rounds in middle of the wood shed so I can do some mid winter splitting, I enjoy splitting with the fiskars, especially lodge pole. 315FD151-FA22-489C-AE44-64A9A97C6041.jpegSure is nice dense stuff551974EA-A9F5-4F49-A468-DB4198AD39CB.jpegsmells good tooD1F6208A-7FF3-4A71-A61E-1285A24412DF.jpeg
Probably won’t have to worry about firewood withdrawals quite as much any more sense I’m working for a guy that cuts 1000-1500 cords a year now, lol7DA616F6-3CD6-44CB-9E3F-C2B6F3D95A45.jpeg

All the odd piles of wood moved to better spots. Started splitting/stacking the 8 cord rounds of black locust that I harvested some 20 years ago. I had forgotten how thick the bark is on old locust some was approaching 2". I have a 5'x4' trailer (free scrounge). Bark was falling off a lot of the splits and rest coming off with just a nudge from the splitter. I was getting only half a load of splits on the trailer with the other half full of bark, Unload trailer and stop at the burn pile on the way back to dump bark. Looks like I will have to burn the pile every two days of splitting.

That saw does real well, I need to get it out and run it. I fired it up last week in the basement:chainsaw:, it smelled great :sweet:.
That was some hard cherry I squared up messing around and the chain was a bit aggressive, if it would have been a bit tighter it would have been okay, but it was already pretty tight. On softer wood it would have just kept cutting.
Here it is with the same chain, in the same wood, without tossing the chain lol.

Yes the Dolmar is getting it done. I've never known anyone in my part of Virginia to own a Dolmar.
Mac's and Homelite's ruled here back in the day, then came the Stihl's and Husky's. A few Jonsered's were used by loggers.

Nice saw (and chain) Brett! I have the opportunity to buy mine back (it’s ported now) sure is tempting.
Well burned enough wood that I’m into my anti withdrawals unsplit wood nowView attachment 885186I like to leave some unsplit rounds in middle of the wood shed so I can do some mid winter splitting, I enjoy splitting with the fiskars, especially lodge pole. View attachment 885187Sure is nice dense stuffView attachment 885188smells good tooView attachment 885189
Probably won’t have to worry about firewood withdrawals quite as much any more sense I’m working for a guy that cuts 1000-1500 cords a year now, lolView attachment 885190
Theres that pretty ford again.

Yes the Dolmar is getting it done. I've never known anyone in my part of Virginia to own a Dolmar.
Mac's and Homelite's ruled here back in the day, then came the Stihl's and Husky's. A few Jonsered's were used by loggers.
You should be the first :numberone:.
It's mainly huskys and stihls up here, but I see some Jonsereds dolmars echo and the older homelite John Deere Macs and a few others for sale. I just did a trade, a few dolmars and some cash for a dolmar 7910, they are good saws.

All the odd piles of wood moved to better spots. Started splitting/stacking the 8 cord rounds of black locust that I harvested some 20 years ago. I had forgotten how thick the bark is on old locust some was approaching 2". I have a 5'x4' trailer (free scrounge). Bark was falling off a lot of the splits and rest coming off with just a nudge from the splitter. I was getting only half a load of splits on the trailer with the other half full of bark, Unload trailer and stop at the burn pile on the way back to dump bark. Looks like I will have to burn the pile every two days of splitting.
I use a good portion of the bark for the shoulder season, it creates a lot of ash, but it burns nicely. I bring it in by the wheelbarrow load.

Well burned enough wood that I’m into my anti withdrawals unsplit wood nowView attachment 885186I like to leave some unsplit rounds in middle of the wood shed so I can do some mid winter splitting, I enjoy splitting with the fiskars, especially lodge pole. View attachment 885187Sure is nice dense stuffView attachment 885188smells good tooView attachment 885189
Probably won’t have to worry about firewood withdrawals quite as much any more sense I’m working for a guy that cuts 1000-1500 cords a year now, lolView attachment 885190
Thanks Nate, both are fast, now I need to find a fast operator to run it lol. If you don't snag it up I may be interested, I just traded off one of mine :surprised3:.
Does that lodgepole pop open first hit usually. I like seeing how dense some softwoods are. One that I see a good bit is Douglas fir, amazing how many growth rings it will have on the end of a 2x4.

A few thoughts.

You don’t get cold riding snowmobiles....driving actually takes energy so you stay warm. And unless you have one of the new ugly ones with no windshield, you are partially to mostly protected from the wind.

Ice fishing in temps below 20 or when windy without a shelter or a bonfire is dumb and I refuse to do it.

-40 with no wind isn’t cold if you have proper clothing and are doing manual activity ie skiing/snowshoeing/walking etc.

I hate the wind. Winter or summer. Always ****ing everything up.
Old Norwegian saying. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. As for me, all my clothes are bad. I split wood down to freezing in shorts and a sweat shirt with no wind. If colder and windy, I start adding layers of sweat shirts and sweat pants till I look like the kid on "Christmas Story" and cant put my arms down.

But don't you just love listening to the high priced weather people and their poor weather forecast turns out wrong? Been there done that too many times. Wasted days. I want their jobs.
The weather guy hit the nail on the head yesterday. I get my truck serviced at the dealer I bought it from, because if I get all my oil changes there, he warrantees the engine for life. Plus, an oil change and tire rotation is only $71. Any way, he's about a third of the way to my WV property, so I plan a day trip up on every oil change. Checked the weather at home and it was for up to an inch of ice, checked the mountains to the west of me, snow and ice. Checked the mountains where my property is, SUNNY AND CALM. I got up there, unloaded, and took a ride around checking things out. It was so nice, I felt sorry for my little JD265 that's been sitting out side since October. I hit it with a shot of carb cleaner and it fired right up. Most of the real tall grass was flattened by freeze, rain, and snow. I had a blast mowing grass at 34*, sunny and calm. Mowed for a while, had a beer and sub and headed on home. OH, I did buy two lottery tickets while in Mathias. I figured if the weather man nailed the weather in 3 places the same day, it had to be a once in a life time event, and I better ride the lucky wave! To keep this scrounging related, I picked up a 111CC Stihl 075 and a 115CC Wright Blade saw for $20 each. Any body have a blade, I need one now?
ePwKJTi.jpg

eR4NaJb.jpg

Well, we did not have much snow, but enough to break out the ATV plow!

First time I've plowed in over a month! Only about the 3rd time this year.

Was only about an inch, but it is cold and overcast, so it will not melt fast if you don't get rid of it.

It has been cold enough around here that I see a lot of ice fisherman, just no snow!

Thanks Nate, both are fast, now I need to find a fast operator to run it lol. If you don't snag it up I may be interested, I just traded off one of mine :surprised3:.
Does that lodgepole pop open first hit usually. I like seeing how dense some softwoods are. One that I see a good bit is Douglas fir, amazing how many growth rings it will have on the end of a 2x4.
I’ll let you know, will be hard to pass up, Egan ported and he’s installing a unlimited coil, I might actually be able to tune it now, lol.
Yeah most of the time it pops with one hit. Red fir can be very dense too, the high elevation lodge pole is usually more dense and will actually hold a fire longer, at least here anyway.

Anyone want to come drive fuel truck in Idaho? Must be too much tax payer funded stimulus money, aid, welfare going around. Haven’t had anyone interested in the job yet.

......felt sorry for my little JD265 that's been sitting out side since October. I hit it with a shot of carb cleaner and it fired right up. Most of the real tall grass was flattened by freeze, rain, and snow. I had a blast mowing grass at 34*, sunny and calm. ...... I picked up a 111CC Stihl 075 and a 115CC Wright Blade saw for $20 each. Any body have a blade, I need one now?
You routinely mow all that grass with just a riding mower? I guy you said it property and not your home, so I guess you don't want to risk someone breaking in and stealing something better. No disrespect to the JD.

You picked up a 075 for $20? How trashed was it?

Back