Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the well wishes. As predicted, Scout and I got out for a nice brisk morning hike:

IMG_8957.jpg

On our hike, I found this nice dead Red Oak and came back later for a quick felling:
(1:34 dressing the face cut, then a simple back cut)

Note, the tree de-barked itself on landing. I'm working on that technique ;)

And then sat down for a Birthday selfie:

IMG_8968.jpg

With the snow softening, I cut this into 4 x 16' sections and got the log arch to move them before it gets muddy. Video of that still in production, but I'll post one here later today.

I took my XL apart yesterday, last time up the clutch was slipping. It was oily inside, and there’s a lip in the cup (back side of the sprocket). Meaning it has wear. I already ordered one, I didn’t order the clutch itself. It’s still a good little saw, I want to keep it running.

Got the new sprocket already. The old one had a groove all the way around it, looks like that could be where the drive was slipping at, and not the clutch. I’m still waiting a carburetor kit before I can put it back together and try it out.
7B664EC4-EDB0-4EDC-8739-3195F0A0031A.jpeg
16FFD896-08DD-4471-88E3-F6A7CC5B8293.jpeg
DA273F44-8A24-45D5-BD65-6F803B749996.jpeg
89C1D33C-1FB8-48ED-ACB7-58D4E26FFE7B.jpeg
A970076B-CB2D-4C67-B8A3-EE093004B6AD.jpeg
1BA91AA1-96EF-42C3-9276-35B25DBD3453.jpeg
A3F553ED-2423-4BE0-AF88-E18972926342.jpeg

Note, the tree de-barked itself on landing. I'm working on that technique ;)
IMG_8970.jpg
You certainly have that debarking technique down - you should teach a seminar to the advanced students!

The day has arrived. Check in for the spinal surgry is 7:30 am tomorrow, operation at 9:30. Stay overnigt for Physical Therapy. I'm looking forward to getting it done but not the 6 week 'do nothing' period following. It isn't exactly "do nothing" as one can go back to work in 10 days DEENDING ON OCCUPATION. I don't think boosting around 50-60 pound locust rounds will qualify :).

I did get in another two hours and two loads of busting up those rounds this morning.

I need to call the 3 people waiting for me to show up and continue tree removal and grove cleanup to explain I won't be there until about Mid april or a bit sooner.

The day has arrived. Check in for the spinal surgry is 7:30 am tomorrow, operation at 9:30. Stay overnigt for Physical Therapy. I'm looking forward to getting it done but not the 6 week 'do nothing' period following. It isn't exactly "do nothing" as one can go back to work in 10 days DEENDING ON OCCUPATION. I don't think boosting around 50-60 pound locust rounds will qualify :).

I did get in another two hours and two loads of busting up those rounds this morning.

I need to call the 3 people waiting for me to show up and continue tree removal and grove cleanup to explain I won't be there until about Mid april or a bit sooner.
Wishing you a successful procedure and a quick recovery.

Hope everything goes well! Keep us posted and stay away from the wood until the doc says!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

As predicted, we took advantage of the remaining snow to hitch and drag these to a more convenient processing area:

The snow is getting sloppy by the time I pulled this one, but they arrived awaiting my next burst of motivation un-muddied:

View attachment 893016

Nice work.
That arch works well, nice conditions out there too.
I think there was another one that was missing the top between where you were hitching that one, and where you were turning left pulling it out.

What's up Neil.
Nice to leave the grey :rare2: behind :clap:, Nice sunny day with blue skies here today. I managed to split almost a face cord myself yesterday. The right side of my chest has been real sore, couldn't figure out why, then today I was thinking about it and remembered pulling the starter on the splitter 50 or so times :oops:. It was nice out yesterday, but the wind was kicking and the temps were just below freezing so it was a bit chilly, but the sun was shinning:havingarest:. I do much better with the sunshine myself, SAD is a struggle for me here, we have a good number of overcast and cloudy days here, probably just as bad there. Tomorrow they are calling for 48f, hope to get more done outside.
Here's the first bucket of the yr.
View attachment 892925
Looks like my picture didn't show up, seems to be a problem a lot lately.
Almost 100% I made sure it showed up when I loaded it too:badpc:.
Anyway here's the first bucket of the yr again. Split three more today, so I'm up to 6 buckets, probably 100 more to go:lol:.
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.12.30 AM.png

Good luck with the surgery and the patience to work through the PT. Hope all goes well and you are back at this as soon as you are able.

Gonna be hard not to "be back at this" before I am able. I do intend to fight the urge off what with the season just starting..

Good luck on the surgery. One good thing is that locust won't rot waiting for you.
I actually had a large round yesterday that had a punky section in the middle that was about 5" around, very rare.
Heading out to split a few more buckets today if I don't find a deal to chase down.

Need to go up on the roof when I get home and bring down the rest of the shingle packs I left up there from doing part if the roof last fall. And take a few measurements. Decided I'm just gonna tim the roof and be done with it. Need to get the valley and peak measurements so I can get quotes for materials together. Not looking forward to hoofing the shingle packs back down the ladder.

Latest posts

Back