Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran one of the 346's today, it's all stock(may fix that). It's right on the edge of being too fat, needs to be leaned out a bit for weather any warmer than today, it was 62. I've also been using an ms201cm rear handle, nice light saw. I sold the two I had before, and had to get another, I like them a lot.
So I had an interesting thing happen today, my daughter saw someone pull out of the neighbors with some wood :confused:. I'm just joking, I could care less, but there's more to the story. I talked to my neighbor and his BIL came by to get a load, the neighbors wife said to him, are you sure that the right thing to do(giving the wood to her brother), Brett's been working real hard out there. He knew I didn't care as I already have plenty, I just thought it was nice she recognized that I've been doing a good bit to help them, I thought it was a bit funny she was willing to give it to me over her brother.

I moved the bigger pine log from the front of the second green log pile today and I also lifted the bigger locust log in the back up to allow more wood to get back against the trees. I'm hoping to get a few boards out of it and want it on top instead of the bottom as I don't plan on bucking any of these green wood piles anytime soon. Then I added a few more loads of sticks to the pile and two nice sized logs to the pile I plan on bucking and splitting to put in the woodshed for 2 seasons from now.
View attachment 899104View attachment 899105
Nice log decks!:)
You have a stock saw?? Lol, how do you like the 346 compared to the 550? Seems like I haven’t seen any pictures or videos of a 550 for awhile. And still waiting to see the newer ported bigger saws ran.... :popcorn2:. If fuel wasn’t so expensive I’d drive over and help you out:chainsaw:

Finally able to trim some limbs from the big pine by our house today. Had 4 wheeler parked under it all winter and tarp I had over 4 wheeler was stuck in the ice, thawed enough to move it today. A79DAE36-A84E-4580-9963-0DB05C2743DF.jpegBought a climbing line and prusik because my flip line wasn’t really long enough to go around this tree and another one I need to trim. 14” bar on the echo 2511 barely reached through some limbs and they were pretty long7593AE67-FE99-4424-BA7A-80E42EA5C3A2.jpegHopefully less pitch on the car and pine cones and needles to clean up and less limb weight on house side of tree8FACFE4D-6562-419B-B5CE-0AE042A5771F.jpeg9F3E4C40-523C-40E9-B449-3201667A69B7.jpeg

Well that looks like a really old study. Everything I’ve read points to it being safe, DEET too. They’ve both been studied for decades. All my military camouflage uniforms were treated with permethrin.
Also, I’m not sure how effective DEET is for ticks. It really works for mosquitoes but ticks are stubborn little bastards. I usually use DEET on my skin and permethrin on my clothes. Was just wondering if anyone else used something else.
Yeah it's an older study but still valid points are made. I didnt look up for anything new specifically as I havent used it since I had kids. Like ive said before I dont typically get ticks on me for some reason so I've never felt the need to use anything stronger then deet, and i dont typically use that either. (More so because my wife is paranoid it will affect the kids somehow.)

Like ive said before I dont typically get ticks on me for some reason
I’m not sure if ticks prefer certain blood types like mosquitoes do. Mosquitoes certainly have a preference and I’m not their preferred blood type. If I’m in the company of other folks, I’m usually left along unless there are tons of mosquitoes. Maybe you are a lucky one too.

Running a saw that is not properly tuned is an invitation to burn it up.

When you get that new filter, make sure it 4 strokes when not in the cut (warm it up a bit first before tuning).

I would be surprised if many of the folks at HD know how to tune a saw, and even more surprised if the check the tune on returned rentals.

Happy Easter everyone!

I dunno Benp, I think 20in just gets a lot done for me. Grew up running 20in while cutting fire wood. I did find a 77cc Poulan Pro (Jonsered) on Craigslist for $100 I've seriously been considering grabbing, it has a 24 but I might put a 28 on it for "my big saw" Any of you fellas run a 2077 Red, or Partner 7700 or Poulan Pro 475?? I figure $100 for a 77cc saw, if it runs it is a good deal..... Unless you guys tell me that model is a turd....

Was running my smallest Husky today, the pallet pile at work was getting out of hand so the 136 got going and made some kindling for my woodstove. I keep the flats handy for the wife and just run the 2x4 sections in the stove for "free heat" Ive learned to run them wide open throttle so that they don't nasty up the chimney too much.

Little update on Bills wood pile, my jackass nephew that stepped up big on Saturday, he was supposed to finish the splitting yesterday... Still hasn't showed up. Bill asked me if I have heard from him, "nope, but ill fix his ass" quick call to my dad (he gives NO ***** about hurting feelings) and I think the kid will be there tomorrow. Pops has never been one to sugar coat anything, he'll explain to my 20 year old nephew that real men don't say they are going to do something then back out. I was worried that the kid was just saying he'd show to make himself look good to my dad, pops told me to give him the benefit of the doubt. And I know, something might have come up, but NO CALL NO SHOW is BULL$HIT.
Looks like Saturday I'll be doing wood again, oh at my house too, having a load of logs dropped off too. Bartered one of my employees, his dad sells wood. Traded "take off wheels" for a load of logs, he said "you sure you don't want split wood" I said, will I get more wood in log form.... "yes" well I don't mind working, give me logs.
Did you ever buy this saw? I have a poulan 505 which is the same saw in 83 cc.

Nice log decks!:)
You have a stock saw?? Lol, how do you like the 346 compared to the 550? Seems like I haven’t seen any pictures or videos of a 550 for awhile. And still waiting to see the newer ported bigger saws ran.... :popcorn2:. If fuel wasn’t so expensive I’d drive over and help you out:chainsaw:
I have a good number of them actually, I'll put together a list lol.
Stock for stock the 550 beats out the 346 in all categories cutting and I really like the 346's. But the simplicity of a 346 is great if there's ever a problem. The 550 and the 2252 are just sitting in the basement, along with the others. I'll probably get some bigger saws out this week, those logs to the right of the pile are for cutting cookies with them, but I may have a little work for them to do. I haven't gotten any new ported saws in a while, but I still need to get the 572 out and run it. Maybe I can do a video with the ported 572 and the bark box 462(haven't ran that one either :oops: ) with the same bar and chain.
You make it sound like you're driving a V-10 or something :laugh:.

I have a good number of them actually, I'll put together a list lol.
Stock for stock the 550 beats out the 346 in all categories cutting and I really like the 346's. But the simplicity of a 346 is great if there's ever a problem. The 550 and the 2252 are just sitting in the basement, along with the others. I'll probably get some bigger saws out this week, those logs to the right of the pile are for cutting cookies with them, but I may have a little work for them to do. I haven't gotten any new ported saws in a while, but I still need to get the 572 out and run it. Maybe I can do a video with the ported 572 and the bark box 462(haven't ran that one either :oops: ) with the same bar and chain.
You make it sound like you're driving a V-10 or something :laugh:.
Well, comparing a ported saw to a muffle modded saw ... I think we will know the results in advance!

They will likely both need some break in before they get full power.

Had a bit of free time today. Messed with my mates 445 husqy. Got it running "good" or as good as can be. Old coil was junk, and shes a slow cutter with a 20" and safety chain strung up. Tried talking him into a nice 16" bar I have here. Said it just wouldnt be enough for such a large saw (roll eyes, lol.) I didnt replace the narrow wheel for my grinder, so I hand filed a few chains for him. Should get him by for a wile.
Happy easter all.

Finally able to trim some limbs from the big pine by our house today. Had 4 wheeler parked under it all winter and tarp I had over 4 wheeler was stuck in the ice, thawed enough to move it today. View attachment 899116Bought a climbing line and prusik because my flip line wasn’t really long enough to go around this tree and another one I need to trim. 14” bar on the echo 2511 barely reached through some limbs and they were pretty longView attachment 899117Hopefully less pitch on the car and pine cones and needles to clean up and less limb weight on house side of treeView attachment 899118View attachment 899119
Damn you’re a badass! I used a ladder and handsaw to get the long pieces that were close to my house. There’s no way I’m using a chainsaw on a ladder, much less climbing up a tree with a rope and chainsaw lol.
Yeah it's an older study but still valid points are made. I didnt look up for anything new specifically as I havent used it since I had kids. Like ive said before I dont typically get ticks on me for some reason so I've never felt the need to use anything stronger then deet, and i dont typically use that either. (More so because my wife is paranoid it will affect the kids somehow.)
That’s cool. Hope it didn’t seem like I was poking at you. Ticks love me so I take extra precautions lol. My wife is a nurse so I’ll ask her to keep an eye me to see if I act strange. That may be a little hard because I’m already a strange dude
I’m not sure if ticks prefer certain blood types like mosquitoes do. Mosquitoes certainly have a preference and I’m not their preferred blood type. If I’m in the company of other folks, I’m usually left along unless there are tons of mosquitoes. Maybe you are a lucky one too.
Man mosquitoes LOVE me. Been like this since I was a kid in HI. Would go camping and wake up looking like Dumbo because I forgot to close the tent. Multiple bites on my ears. I’m a mosquito magnet
Running a saw that is not properly tuned is an invitation to burn it up.

When you get that new filter, make sure it 4 strokes when not in the cut (warm it up a bit first before tuning).

I would be surprised if many of the folks at HD know how to tune a saw, and even more surprised if the check the tune on returned rentals.

Happy Easter everyone!
I cleaned the old filter last night using soapy water, looks pretty good now. Still waiting for the new filter to arrive. Took the carb off and hacksawed a notch on the high adjustment so I can turn it with a flat head. I think I have the high side set but the low side and I think T adjustment is kicking my ass. The 6401 was easier to tune I think. Could also just be the fact that I’m an idiot and can’t tune a saw to save my life.

E3D572F2-6626-48C4-AD44-CE183F085A85.jpeg
sorry boring scrounge since it’s in my yard but again, first time using a saw in about 5 years lol. I don’t remember cutting a tree as being so much damn work. My wife hasn’t seen all the wood chips yet, waiting for her to be pissed. If this saw burns up I’m getting a 7900 or whatever they’re called now
Not sure why it’s sideways, maybe because I’m doing this on my phone and too tired to get on my PC/laptop. Also my bad on all the quotes! Just feeling a little good running a chainsaw again and lots of Modelos.

My wife hasn’t seen all the wood chips yet, waiting for her to be pissed.
Ya gotta try to sell it as mulch/lawn food. Worth a shot.
Just feeling a little good running a chainsaw again and lots of Modelos.
And that its sounding real good about now - Modelo Especial is one of my favs. Might have to make a beer run now! :cheers:

View attachment 899241
sorry boring scrounge since it’s in my yard but again, first time using a saw in about 5 years lol. I don’t remember cutting a tree as being so much damn work. My wife hasn’t seen all the wood chips yet, waiting for her to be pissed. If this saw burns up I’m getting a 7900 or whatever they’re called now
Not sure why it’s sideways, maybe because I’m doing this on my phone and too tired to get on my PC/laptop. Also my bad on all the quotes! Just feeling a little good running a chainsaw again and lots of Modelos.
Shoot, it seems like a good amount of work even when I'm running them nearly every day lol.
The picture straightened out when I clicked on it, I thought that was odd.
I like running smaller chains when I'm doing trees for people in their yard, I can hit the chips with my backpack blower and most fall right into the grass.

Shoot, it seems like a good amount of work even when I'm running them nearly every day lol.
The picture straightened out when I clicked on it, I thought that was odd.
I like running smaller chains when I'm doing trees for people in their yard, I can hit the chips with my backpack blower and most fall right into the grass.
Oh man felt like I sprinted for three miles. Had to keep going though just in case a neighbor was watching me lol. So you use a smaller bar and chain for yard trees? Only running a 20” bar now. Also I’m already looking for a 7900, damn CAD got me already
Nice, a man with great taste! Been trying to convince my brother to stop drinking Bud Light for years with no success. I like the green Dos Equis too. Stella is great as well. Modelos have taken the muscle pain away for tonight

Well, comparing a ported saw to a muffle modded saw ... I think we will know the results in advance!

They will likely both need some break in before they get full power.
I said "with" those two, not as a comparison, just two different 70cc saws. I think you'd know I try not to be biased when comparing saws, even though I prefer the handling on huskys, and because of that many times I recommend guys buy a stihl if that's what they are used to. Heck I've even said the 462 is and awesome saw and the best 70cc saw out for the power to weight multiple times, but I also said let's see how they hold up (same with the 572). Husky still has the better flippy caps :clap:. Even testing two of the same model saws ported by the same person at the same time, one will be faster.

What's funny is I could put all the details in the description and tell everyone the one is ported and the other isn't and that the husky should beat it no problem, and guys would still make comments saying the chain on the stihl was dull(even if I cut with it on the stihl first). The same would happen if it was the other way around, that's one of the reasons I don't do videos with multiple saws.
The 462 is broke in, the 572 only has a couple tanks on it.

Back