Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap every time I see a 6421 I kick myself for giving it away. I like that 7910 and 372 as well. Finally not sure what it is but it's kind of fun watching videos of other people running a chainsaw. Wife caught me watching some and just shook her head as she walked out of the room.
Like I was saying, put an ad on here or check at HD(although some may have the 6100, others still have 6421) and then sell the 6100.
That's what I had to do for a long time, still do it a lot, but with different items.
Last fall I sold my exmark lazer and my Honda foreman so I could keep the little kubota.
I'm okay with that, not only can I not afford to keep them all, I also don't want to have to fix them all :oops:.

Is there an acronym for Black Locust? HDBL? Highly Desirable Black Locust?
:happy:
Got me a few more sticks today.
Some on the green pile and some on the buck, split, put in the woodshed pile.
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.15.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.16.31 AM.png
Looks like I'll be starting on filling the woodshed soon if I don't have a bunch of work come in soon, I only have about 7-8 trees left across the rd to cut and haul home. He may want me to take a few more down, but the excavator just let today so he won't have a way to remove the stumps. He does have a dozer with an 8' blade coming to grade the whole lot, I hope I get a chance to run that, never done that before.
Here's the woodshed right now.
This is the side I'll be refilling for 22/23.
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.17.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.17.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 12.18.36 AM.png

I had really bad tinnitus for a while when I was cutting a lot with ported 550 and 346.
So it went away?
I have it bad, my ears don't really get bothered by most loud noises, but some ported saws are too loud.
Was out back with my 10.5 ar and I let my buddy try it, he said his ears were ringing, I didn't even think about it.
But shooting my little 22 pistol I have to wear my ears, she's got a loud bark lol.

:happy:
Got me a few more sticks today.
Some on the green pile and some on the buck, split, put in the woodshed pile.
View attachment 899584
Looks like I'll be starting on filling the woodshed soon if I don't have a bunch of work come in soon, I only have about 7-8 trees left across the rd to cut and haul home. He may want me to take a few more down, but the excavator just let today so he won't have a way to remove the stumps. He does have a dozer with an 8' blade coming to grade the whole lot, I hope I get a chance to run that, never done that before.
Here's the woodshed right now.
This is the side I'll be refilling for 22/23.
I drool every time you post pics of your wood pile. But your neighbors are probably going to complain about it setting around. Ship it to me and I'll take care of it :laugh: . I'm sure you've heard that before.
Seriously, I haven't cut any BL in any quantity in probably over 10 years. I run into more Mulberry than BL.

So it went away?
I have it bad, my ears don't really get bothered by most loud noises, but some ported saws are too loud.
Was out back with my 10.5 ar and I let my buddy try it, he said his ears were ringing, I didn't even think about it.
But shooting my little 22 pistol I have to wear my ears, she's got a loud bark lol.
Yes, eventually.

From 2013 to to end of 2017 I did a LOT of cutting and from 16-17, much of it was was ported saws. It was really getting bad by the end of 2017. Like there was a set of bass speakers behind me and there was no sound coming out but the hum of an amp that hadn’t been turned off.

Working out of town for the winter of 17 to 18 and not running saws at all, it eventually went away completely.

Very much seemed to be triggered by the high RPM saws. Not at all by the lower revving, what most people would call “ear cracking” vintage saws.

Yes, eventually.

From 2013 to to end of 2017 I did a LOT of cutting and from 16-17, much of it was was ported saws. It was really getting bad by the end of 2017. Like there was a set of bass speakers behind me and there was no sound coming out but the hum of an amp that hadn’t been turned off.

Working out of town for the winter of 17 to 18 and not running saws at all, it eventually went away completely.

Very much seemed to be triggered by the high RPM saws. Not at all by the lower revving, what most people would call “ear cracking” vintage saws.
I've seen some articles recently talking about getting rid of it, I never knew that anyone could get it and then have it go away. Sure would be nice to have it disappear, mine have a constant high pitched noise much like you describe.
One thing I find odd is even though I have some obvious hearing loss, if there is no background noise(other than from the tinnitus), I can hear the smallest things that others don't here. I joke that I can hear a mosquito fart lol.

I've seen some articles recently talking about getting rid of it, I never knew that anyone could get it and then have it go away. Sure would be nice to have it disappear, mine have a constant high pitched noise much like you describe.
One thing I find odd is even though I have some obvious hearing loss, if there is no background noise(other than from the tinnitus), I can hear the smallest things that others don't here. I joke that I can hear a mosquito fart lol.
I can still hear the refrigerator start up, water running in pipes in the walls, animals outside etc. I can also hear the dehumidifier in the basement and vehicles approaching even over other low noises.

If there is background noise like in a busy room I practically need to be shouted at. I am going to blame that more on shooting guns than saws because my dad had the same issue.

But yeah the tinnitus went away after exposure to saws was stopped. Much like the severe tennis elbow I had from 14-15 went away after I got my 550 and quit limbing with a 16 lb saw.

Interesting too, a lot of the older fellows I know who ran lower revving saws for years with no ear protection can hear pretty well. But folks that worked in factories with different noise albeit at a lower decibel level are stone deaf.

Had an old family friend who served in WW2 who was almost completely deaf. I believe he was in artillery. He would "feel" noise with his feet and the hairs on the back of his neck before he could hear it.

You guys have these hearing issues even when using ear pro? I use ear pro for everything that's remotely loud, wish I could use it while my wife tries to talk to me. Always wanted a ported saw but if it gives me hearing issues I'll pass.
I wear the husky helmet with ear muffs. It does really well for all types of noise.

When I developed those issues I was running saws mostly all day long for 2-3 days a weeks for several months on end. And it took a couple of years to develop. For the amount of cutting you do, you will never have to worry about ear issues if you use proper ear protection.

I can imagine Brett's conditions are similar to mine and for the same reasons.

Tinnitus--I've had it constantly for years. Never even think about it until someone asks, and then it's Yeah, I have a chorus of "SSSSSSSSSSSSSS" in my ears all day every day. Been wearing hearing aids for (?) eight yrs. They help a lot. But even with them, background noise is a problem. In restaurants and places like that, I have to have my wife order and respond to questions from wait staff. But like Chipper said, in a quiet room I can generally hear okay.

I've always used hearing protection with saws. But over the years it was 12 gauge in duck season, countless hours of combine and tractor operation, loud music (worked as a stagehand). I also wonder about the time when I was 8 yrs old and someone tossed a cherry bomb into a drain pipe I was in. Maybe I've always had bad hearing.

Had an old family friend who served in WW2 who was almost completely deaf. I believe he was in artillery. He would "feel" noise with his feet and the hairs on the back of his neck before he could hear it.
One time Pete was camping with another fellow and each had their own tent. A bear was ransacking the camp and because he had turned off his hearing aids for the day, he was completely oblivious to the bear ripping things apart or his camping partner's yelling going on outside. Finally the guy fired a gun into the air to scare the bear and Pete came out of the tent because he felt the percussion from the muzzle blast on his feet. LOL

ah okay, good to know. On another note, wife for some reason just gave me the go ahead to finally buy a truck! Well first I have to get rid of my CTS-V project car that I've actually yet to do anything with lol. It's been sitting in our garage for almost a year so she's probably tired of it taking up space.

If I get a Ram or Silverado/Sierra 1/4 ton pickup they can't really haul a lot of weight right? Maybe 1/4 cord of wood at most? That doesn't sound too great. Was hoping at least being able to carry 1/2 a cord at a time at least. I'm also looking at the extended/crew cab models so the bed is pretty short, right around 6' or less.

Tinnitus--I've had it constantly for years. Never even think about it until someone asks, and then it's Yeah, I have a chorus of "SSSSSSSSSSSSSS" in my ears all day every day. Been wearing hearing aids for (?) eight yrs. They help a lot. But even with them, background noise is a problem. In restaurants and places like that, I have to have my wife order and respond to questions from wait staff. But like Chipper said, in a quiet room I can generally hear okay.

I've always used hearing protection with saws. But over the years it was 12 gauge in duck season, countless hours of combine and tractor operation, loud music (worked as a stagehand). I also wonder about the time when I was 8 yrs old and someone tossed a cherry bomb into a drain pipe I was in. Maybe I've always had bad hearing.
Oh **** I have the same issue with wait staff lol. They'll tell me something like the special of the day and I'll nod my head like I understand. Then when they walk away I'll turn to my wife and ask "What did he/she/they say?" I blame it on their masks since their voice is a bit muffled and maybe the fact that I can't see their mouth moving, like I read lips lol.

ah okay, good to know. On another note, wife for some reason just gave me the go ahead to finally buy a truck! Well first I have to get rid of my CTS-V project car that I've actually yet to do anything with lol. It's been sitting in our garage for almost a year so she's probably tired of it taking up space.

If I get a Ram or Silverado/Sierra 1/4 ton pickup they can't really haul a lot of weight right? Maybe 1/4 cord of wood at most? That doesn't sound too great. Was hoping at least being able to carry 1/2 a cord at a time at least. I'm also looking at the extended/crew cab models so the bed is pretty short, right around 6' or less.
A half ton truck is limited by the size of cargo area. Older long box half ton trucks could haul a full cord of seasoned wood (soft to mid grade wood, wouldnt try it with oak) if you could pile it that high.

If you get a nice shiny truck you might be better off finding a used utility trailer to haul your wood and just haul your saw stuff in the truck.

A half ton truck is limited by the size of cargo area. Older long box half ton trucks could haul a full cord of seasoned wood (soft to mid grade wood, wouldnt try it with oak) if you could pile it that high.

If you get a nice shiny truck you might be better off finding a used utility trailer to haul your wood and just haul your saw stuff in the truck.
No sir, definitely getting a used truck. It will only be a secondary vehicle for me, just to haul stuff when needed so no use in a nice truck. Probably going to get a used Ram, leery about Dodges but I read their Ram trucks are very reliable. Never really understood the people that get those really fancy, expensive trucks to be honest. Always thought a truck was built for utility and these people are probably afraid to toss things into the bed or do anything in fear of scratches lol.

Back