Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those deer look fluffy, kinda like I feel/look right now :sucks:.
I have lost some weight this spring, good thing I have the elastic chaps:laughing:.
Can you put those spots on a gps app as saved locations so it will take you right back to them.
That’s a good idea, thanks. Have a couple gps apps on my phone that I’ve used before, forgot about that.6DA06B4A-9FDF-4EA7-8EA7-F487204C8BB8.png Now I just need an app to remind me of the gps app, lol.

Got the rest of the box elder all down and cleaned up, then dropped a couple smaller locust and two smaller cherry's. Cleaned up the cherry and will do the locust tomorrow(if the weather holds out). Nice big load of cherry on the pile of locust. Cut everything today with the little ms201, not as fast as others, but it got it done. I have 4 larger HDBL I will be dropping tomorrow too, 2 are green and two are dead standing, so I'll be adding a bit to the piles out front. I'm also pushing these with the tractor to loosen them and then removing the stumps, nice to set the lean up right were they need to go :happy: .
View attachment 899739View attachment 899740View attachment 899741View attachment 899742
Is that a Dixon?? My grandmother bought one of those from a guy who had a booth at the Saginaw County fair around 1980 and everyone thought she'd lost her mind. It actually proved itself to be one hell of a good mower.

People actually break the law? :laughing:View attachment 899790
I've owned GM's for the last 30 years and am quite familiar with their drivetrains. The used Ford's I've glanced at have either the 3.7L V6, the 3.5L eco-boost or the 5.0 v8. I have to believe the 3.7L is going to be kinda' underwhelming and the 3.5L echo-boost sounds like it could turn into a money pit. Am I right in thinking to pass on a Ford unless it's a 5.0??

I've owned GM's for the last 30 years and am quite familiar with their drivetrains. The used Ford's I've glanced at have either the 3.7L V6, the 3.5L eco-boost or the 5.0 v8. I have to believe the 3.7L is going to be kinda' underwhelming and the 3.5L echo-boost sounds like it could turn into a money pit. Am I right in thinking to pass on a Ford unless it's a 5.0??
The one in the pic is a 2009 F150. It has the 4.6 V8 triton motor in it. It would pull my dump trailer loaded but it just lacked a little bit. Gas mileage is 18-22. Loaded or empty. The F250 with the 6.2L doesn't even know the trailer is there. Not broke in yet and mileage is around 15.

I'm surprised you guys didn't mention the 5.4 F150 engine. I thought the 5.4 was the most popular engine choice. I've read the 5.4s have a lot of potential issues with them so several sites I used to research models said to stay away from it. I was planning on staying away from Fords (no real reason, just like the styling of the GMs and Ram more) but just saw a 2015 F150 with the 2.7l turbo engine. Sounds puny but it has twin turbos! I may have to test drive that thing lol.

We've received a lot of much needed rain in the last 36 hours and expect to receive more over the next several days. This really helps me because I can finally burn brush at the cabin.

I have something going on tomorrow that may cause me to not feel well this weekend. Provided I do feel well I will be torching some brush piles!

Yup seems Ford did not know how to figure out exhaust systems for about 15 years there, the 4 and 6 cylinder Escape motors had terrible problems with manifolds too.
Why did you have to remind me of the Ford escape motors :cry:. I bought a new 2018 escape with the 1.5 turbo. One year later with 14000 miles the check engine light came one. Turns out it was the engine block cracked and it was leaking fluid. Only fix was a new short block, which just happened to be on back order from ford. They gave me a New Fusion to drive, but that lasted a day and I traded the 2018 escape for a 2019 escape with the 2.0 motor. It has 11000 on it now. It seems Ford has had problems with the 1.5's every since they came out with them. No problems listed for the 2.0 motors, and if it does tear up, I can always use that extended warranty I bought from that nice guy in India.

I must say my 5.4l has given me very little trouble over the years, nor has my fathers. Mine is a 2 valve his is a 3 valve. Our biggest complaint is the poor fuel economy, second is the need to hold them flat to the floor wile merging on the highway or pulling hills loaded. Since I've gotten my 460 I doubt I'll be towing much with my 5.4l. No need for flat to the floor high rpm power she just goes up the hill, kinda like the diesel powers all there down low. I did manage 10.9 mpg last tank, normally about 8 mpg towing or hauling. Wouldnt mind a v10, my cousin and older brother both have one and really like how they perform.

Finally said goodbye to my old friend yesterday and delivered him to his new owner. Good thing it’s out of the driveway as I’ve got a new to me enclosed trailer coming soon.
Holy hell look at all the rust! I'm surprised you weren't soaked every time you drove over a puddle lol.

I found my future firewood/mulch hauler. I know I didn't want a pretty truck but looks like the previous owner(s) took really good care of this thing. It's in great shape with a few mods to it, don't think anything crazy though.

1617929508603.png

The 2 valve 5.4 were ok. Bit of a boat anchor but reliable enough save for the leaking exhaust. The 3 valve motor had a pretty shallow spark plug thread and would strip easily also had can phaser issues I think. So far my 13 3.5 has been good, knock on scrounged wood!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The deer helping with clean up
Nate, that looks like my place, up next to the drive. Every year in late winter I remove more pines (2 large, 3 small to middling this year) and pile the slash for later removal. The slash pile is like ice cream to a herd of 8 (this year) does and young stock. I like putting it out for them, as March is the "starvation month" when their natural feed is pretty much used up.

SVK's rusted out pickup is nothing extreme--I'm sure the new owner is pleased to get it. Had a '62 Chevy 3/4 ton, 235 straight six, 4spd, when it was 12--16 yrs old. Talk about a rust bucket--you could hear it rattle coming down the road. it was step-side, and one of the rear fenders fell off and was dragging on the road as my wife returned from work one time. She tied it back in place with baler twine, enough to get home, and I had a neighbor weld angle iron to secure both fenders.

Later, we began to smell gas and wondered why. The mounts holding the cab to the frame had rusted away and the cab sagged, until a bolt or something punctured the gas tank as it settled. (Gas tank behind the seat back then.) Replaced the gas tank, jacked up the cab body, and kept it suspended with some blocks of 2 x 4 between cab and frame. Got a few more years out of it before I rebuilt the engine and transplanted it into a less rusted body & frame.

Latest posts

Back