Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool looking critter. We only have red and flying squirrels in the wild here. Lots of greys in towns.

Had a young grey pass through this winter. He showed up one morning and when he couldn’t get onto my bird feeder he headed west and I never saw him again.

We are at then end of the road and occasionally have critters move through, I suspect folks from town live trapped and let go at the boat landing parking lot.

Thought I had some recent photos of muleys at my slash pile, but had to go back several years. This was at a job I did up the road--don't have anything approaching level ground on my place.
The first day on the trail at Philmont NM, with the Scouts, as we were setting up camp a herd of Muley's walked up behind us. I was trying to keep the boys quiet and get some pics, but they spooked them and they ran off. The next morning on the way to the toilet on the hill, in the middle of a grassy knoll, with no walls, there were deer everywhere. Since they don't allow hunting, and so many kids go out there every summer, they are like pets. I was sure some of them saw us and were striking poses. I think I lost all of those pics to photobucket. I was sure I remembered seeing a couple beautiful 4X4's. I just did a search and it said they start putting on their antlers in March and April, so I guess by July 4th they had pretty much every thing they were going to get. Still think if I had a hand full of peanuts, one would have followed me home?

Forgot to mention that I took those photos of the deer feeding because we were working maybe 50 feet away, saw roaring, and those hungry devils weren't in the least bothered. They had their thing going, and we had ours.
Animals in all but the most remote areas know that engines running usually equal food on the ground. Deer by me are much more wary of a man on foot than they are of even the loudest engine.

Sounds odd to me that any pickup could have passenger plates, not here in this state. My whole life all pickups have to have commercial plates unless it has a permanently mounted camper on it.
The law changed here in Ma but I remember 3500's were always commercial back in the day
What! So can a ordinary resident get a commercial plate if they don't own a business? That's mind boggling lol. Trucks are all over the place here.
Now that I know I can get a 3500 I'll be on the look out for one. With gas prices going up I hope to see GM 3500's with the gas 8.1 for sale cheaper, I think they were around 2001-2006. Gas hogs prices have dropped before when gas got up there. Chevy still makes a WT. I saw a 2020 with an 8' bed regular cab going for $39,000 with low miles, under 2,000. Good price compared to the $39,00 for a 2016 I see all day but I can't afford that. That new truck was probably a bait and switch truck, only one on the lot.
Found a dead petrified cat doing a barn clean out once.

Could it have been partially dehydrated from being in the cold for part of the winter?
I saw a dead cat frozen standing up on a pond when I was a kid, kinda weird. Reminds me of Jack Nicklinson in the Shinning.

Getting anxious waiting for the log grapple, forks and the 3rd function valve to get here. Ordered 2" rear wheel spacers for the Kubota as well. I have to take off the rear tire to plumb in the valve and I want rear tire chains so I need the spacers anyhow. I am looking for a welder to cut off the ears on my loader and weld a SSQA plate on it. Getting to be time to shut down the OWB. Today I got one bucket of wood vs filling a skid crate.

Now that I know I can get a 3500 I'll be on the look out for one. With gas prices going up I hope to see GM 3500's with the gas 8.1 for sale cheaper, I think they were around 2001-2006. Gas hogs prices have dropped before when gas got up there. Chevy still makes a WT. I saw a 2020 with an 8' bed regular cab going for $39,000 with low miles, under 2,000. Good price compared to the $39,00 for a 2016 I see all day but I can't afford that. That
An 8.1l! Damn had no idea Chevy had a truck with an 8.1. That monster probably gets like 3 mpg in city driving, uses half a tank of gas on startup. Yeah all these people that went out and bought gas guzzlers as their daily driver will be crying once they have to return to working on-site and gas prices keep creeping up. Northern VA has some of the worst traffic in the nation so makes a gas guzzler even worse.

An 8.1l! Damn had no idea Chevy had a truck with an 8.1. That monster probably gets like 3 mpg in city driving, uses half a tank of gas on startup. Yeah all these people that went out and bought gas guzzlers as their daily driver will be crying once they have to return to working on-site and gas prices keep creeping up. Northern VA has some of the worst traffic in the nation so makes a gas guzzler even worse.
Nah, just put the gas in it if you want to drive it. If your going to cry about it, sell it off. I'll sacrifice mpg for power every time. Nothing bothers me more then driving my wifes vehicles. Great mpg, crap power. Hard pass for me.
I'm up to 8 MPG on my excursion currently lol. I just got it out on the rd again and its idled a lot as the battery is toast.
What's funny is its the same tank of fuel from last fall, so I can say a tank of fuel last me all winter :laugh:.
I have a trailer hooked up over half the time, so driving a v10 isn't the worse thing, oil changes and fuel filters are cheaper/less frequent, fuel is cheaper, and they cost a lot less up front. For heavy towing, can't beat a diesel.
Yeah I really need to get my cummins going again. Got a new frame for under the 79, but havent got the time to do the swap over. Sadly it would be cheaper to find an obs style ford and drop it in, just needs engine mounts then. Everything else drive train is from that era and adapted for those year ford axles. Issue is finding a one ton 4x4 cheap with a body in good condition. Dont particularly want another dodge, fricken truck fell apart before the engine was half wore out, drove like crap, handled like a brick. I'll never get one again. Sad ford opted for international diesel engines and not cummins diesel engines.

I had an 01' x cab 2500HD with the 8.1 on order. For weeks and weeks the orders were on delay. A day after I cancelled my order, they pulled the lot of orders mine was in and started building them. I ended up buying a gently used 2500HD with the 6.0 and ran that for a couple of years before getting an 03' with the Duramax. That was the last pickup I purchased new and the only diesel and boy was that a nice truck.

I had no issues at all and think I traded it in with about 80k on it but I heard the guy who bought it from the auction had tons of issues with the engine and transmission. Guess I lucked out.

Sounds odd to me that any pickup could have passenger plates, not here in this state. My whole life all pickups have to have commercial plates unless it has a permanently mounted camper on it.
NY used to be the same but now if the unladen weight is under 6k you can get passenger plates. Let's you drive on parkways but truck has to empty.

What! So can a ordinary resident get a commercial plate if they don't own a business? That's mind boggling lol. Trucks are all over the place here.
I have commercial on my 3500 because its unladen weight is almost 8k . Cummins adds a lot of weight

Im just about to get started.
I don't like working in the heat of the Summer, with bugs, poison ivy, and sweat stinging my eyes. It is almost never too cold here to work in the winter, and the snow smooths my drag and haul trails. And, I have other busy work during the summer months.

And more wildlife. Nate, do you have Abert's squirrels where you are? Black with tufty ears. They only inhabit Ponderosa Pine woods. This one was on my deck yesterday.
Great pictures! Don’t think so, I’ve never seen one anyway. Mostly see tree squirrels (reds?) and flying squirrels once in awhile, brother took picture of this one after it rode a tree to ground that I cut2475B71A-C884-4EDC-BB21-9D0B734AADE7.jpeg
Lots of chipmunks, and some others that look kinda like chipmunks but bigger, about the size of tree squirrels, most people call them timber tigers.
Our town deer get pretty friendly too502AA1EF-5EB7-4E2A-BA35-C989CB2D7FB2.jpeg

Back