Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool pic of the squirrel, never seen one like it! We have grey squirrels (including some in the black phase), Red squirrels (they seem to be more prolific due to the abundance of Black Walnut here) and flying squirrels (but you rarely see them). A flying squirrel broke into my friend's basement 3 times. They could not figure out how it was getting in. But, they decided not to fight city hall and he put it in a bird cage and made a pet out of it! It seemed quite happy with that, and he let it out quite a bit and it always returned!

My Cousin (on the farm, upstate) always told me that if you rode on the tractor the deer would not run from you, they knew the guy on the tractor was not hunting them. He also said if two people walk in line it sometimes fools them, because the 4 legs looks more like an animal than a person.

When I shot my deer with the MZ this year, from a climbing tree stand, the deer that was only 30 yds away did not run at the shot. In fact, it kept turning it's head to look at me as I descended from the tree. It was not until I stepped out of the stand that it ran like He$$, along with another one that I did not even know was there. Seems they did not realize I was a person till I stood on the ground!

Well, I figured that we've all been depending a bit to heavily on @farmer steve , and since @H-Ranch hasn't been giving us much recently I thought I'd better get my act together. Went out to Mitch's to see what was going on, came across this peppermint log hanging halfway up a steep bank.

10th Apr 2.jpg

Then there was also this just next to it, more peppermint.

10th Apr 1.jpg

Got it all sliced up.

10th Apr 3.jpg

10th Apr 4.jpg

Peppermint often looks a bit ordinary in log form but it burns great. Loaded up.

10th Apr 5.jpg

10th Apr 6.jpg

I also took a load of junk wood, sticks and leaves for bonfire material, that's in 6 weeks' time.

Well, I figured that we've all been depending a bit to heavily on @farmer steve , and since @H-Ranch hasn't been giving us much recently I thought I'd better get my act together. Went out to Mitch's to see what was going on, came across this peppermint log hanging halfway up a steep bank.

View attachment 900157

Then there was also this just next to it, more peppermint.

View attachment 900156

Got it all sliced up.

View attachment 900158

View attachment 900159

Peppermint often looks a bit ordinary in log form but it burns great. Loaded up.

View attachment 900160

View attachment 900161

I also took a load of junk wood, sticks and leaves for bonfire material, that's in 6 weeks' time.
Thanks cowboy. :rock: Lookin good there buddy. I'm sure @LondonNeil will like the pics. Guess your getting ready for winter. Cheers mate.:cheers:

Just bought the MN DNR online burning permit. $5 bucks and it’s good for the calendar year. You just call to get a code each day you want to burn. If there’s restrictions they tell you.

You can get a 3 day permit from the convenience store that’s free but you still have to get one every time and have to deal with the crabby store employees.

Just bought the MN DNR online burning permit. $5 bucks and it’s good for the calendar year. You just call to get a code each day you want to burn. If there’s restrictions they tell you.

You can get a 3 day permit from the convenience store that’s free but you still have to get one every time and have to deal with the crabby store employees.
I've tried to convince our township that an online application would be far better than the paper copy they do now. Less time for all involved, can get it 24/7 instead of 9-4 on business days, up to date conditions if there is a restriction, automated contact method for updates, higher compliance rate, and so on.

Not firewood scrounging but scrounging nonetheless. I got some cedar sticks from some powerline trimming that was done last year. After pricing out 10' 4×4 cedar posts I decided to make my own.View attachment 900253
Three or four times a year my hunting buddy's son and two friends go up to my place in WV to hang out, shoot some guns during the day, sit around a camp fire at night, and escape the women. Most of the time John and I go with them. Last year I cut some 10' Cedar logs for future use. Carried them over and laid them on top of the 8' bush hog so the boys wouldn't cut them up for the fire pit. When I say boys, they are in their 30's, just boys to us. I went out, and sure enough, Kenny is cutting up my logs on top of the steel bush hog. He said, "I thought you put them there to make it easier to cut"? Good thing I caught him when I did, he would have cut up my bush hog too, and tried to burn it. John and I were up last Sat putting in insulation and interior paneling. The boys are up right now, and its spitting rain out there, so I'm betting they have a fire going already. I asked John if he told Mark and Don to make sure Kenny didn't burn up my "NEW" Cedar logs. Then I asked if he thought I should write, "Do Not Burn" on the side of the building. He said even Kenny wouldn't do that! I said, maybe, but there is a lot of 1" pine paneling inside the building. He said, "Yeah, better go back and make a sign". Here's the progress we made last Sat.
A8elYN6.jpg

VVRtVpB.jpg

m4qfynG.jpg

I'm going to be using these posts to build fence corners. What do you guys recommend for treating the buried end. I'm a mechanic so drain oil is readily available. I was thinking about soaking the ends for a week or so in a bucket of drain oil. Or should I use a deck sealer or something similar?

Thanks,
Lee

Our hazard reduction pile burn permits are issued by the Air Pollution Control District, I call and they mail it to me. Quick and easy, and no fee. Mine expires at the end of this month, it’s good for a year from the date issued. You could go in person to their office or a ranger station too. We check online to see if it’s a burn day, and don’t need to notify anyone.

0C0AAF0B-0C50-4CF9-973D-C499398D9D40.png

We have a guy that was in our men's group at church. He used to be on the town council too. We can get a burn permit for our county, and it's good for all but the driest days of summer. June, July, and August, I think. Around here people start burning leaves and spring cleaning sticks and yard trimmings the first day they can get out, and nobody bothers with the permit. Last year the Fire Dept told this guy to quit bothering them. They were NOT responding to any residential burning complaints unless the house was on fire. My wife just told me he passed away a few months ago. His wife was real sick and not expected to live long. He passed unexpectedly first, and a few weeks later she passed. They were good folks, and the first to help anyone in need. But, if you wanted to help him, help some one else, you had to follow his rules or go home. He's probably telling St Peter he's not answering the front gate right. RIP Bill.

brush or dip the logs in roofing tar, paint the rest with used oil...it will last decades unless its store bought pt thats half soaked with water still. I put new pt deck boards on the shed ramp and after a week they shrank a full inch of width leaving huge gaps after setting them with none.

For us city folks, is that just to keep them from sending fire crews when they see smoke coming from a specific location?

Thanks

Philbert
No, you need to call a different number if burning near a roadway where it’s likely to be called in.

You need a permit and need to call in each day to get a code for that day’s burn. Necessary when burning anything larger than a 3’ campfire circle.

None of the rules are enforced unless you are burning during the daylight in a no burn period or if someone calls you in.

Back