Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what they are called. There were a couple that go with the bars, and I thought I dropped one of the 20x3/8 semi chisel in there. There are the safety chains used by Home Depot on their rental saws, I have a 5 gallon bucket of them. I cut the "shark fins"(Philbert had a good name for them but I cant remember it) and they will actually self feed very nice in very hard wood with a little extra hook and a 25 degree top plate angle, which really surprised me for how well they hold up. If the top plate was reduced to 20 degrees and less hook they don't feed as well, but they stay sharp a long time and will cut straight(nice in dirty wood too). One of the things I like in a stumping chain is for it to feed well, it's a lot on my back when down there flush cutting, I'd rather sit on the trailer sharpening for a bit so I leave them at 25 degrees and a little extra hook. If you want some let me know.
I thought tri-bumper was at least a semi-technical name for them. I scrounged one from a rummage sale one time and brought it into my local shop before I sharpened my own chains and that’s what he called it. He offered to sharpen it for me and wasn’t going to charge extra despite needing to adjust all three depth gauges but I ended up selling it to a guy with a Homelite who needed that length of chain.

From what I can tell, the cutter and depth gauge itself is the same as a pro chain, Just has that extra double ramp in front of it.

If a guy had extra time and no pro chains available, he could definitely grind off a.k.a. “spay” those additional ramps as they technically do nothing but prevent kickback. And with good safe use you shouldn’t have any issues anyway. Similar to what I do with low profile 3/8 chains that have that huge bumper tie strap.

he could definitely grind off a.k.a. “spay” those additional ramps as they technically do nothing but prevent kickback.
Not quite accurate.

The ‘bumper links’ were first added between cutters for a smoother cut in smaller diameter wood. The reduced kickback tendency was an unexpected consequence.

I still like them for limbing, and on the end of a pole saw, for smoother cutting in small diameter wood, where clearing chips is not an issue.

Philbert

Not quite accurate.

The ‘bumper links’ were first added between cutters for a smoother cut in smaller diameter wood. The reduced kickback tendency was an unexpected consequence.

I still like them for limbing, and on the end of a pole saw, for smoother cutting in small diameter wood, where clearing chips is not an issue.

Philbert
I shall stand corrected. I still don’t like em though.

That is interesting info. I wonder if the first guy to test it had an epiphany like, "Hey! This chain doesn't kick back like the old chain." And thus the marketing of safety chain was born. Not that it's bad, in fact it's probably better for casual users like myself.

My bad, shouldn't have set the course of total thread derailment lol. I guess no politics, religion, or COVID.

I'm hoping the state park and/or charity rep responds soon. Trying to volunteer at some state parks near me as a trail maintainer. Figured that would give me an opportunity to run the chainsaw and/or swing an axe. Also found a charity near me in VA that donates firewood to the less fortunate. They're looking for volunteers to help split, stack, and cut. Sounds like a great cause so I'm trying to get involved with that. Maybe I could also use my new used truck to help transport the firewood.

What you guys bring if you were during trail maintenance/scrounging where you had to hump all your gear on your back? Chainsaw, spare chain, tool to take off the bar, maybe an axe, fuel mix, bar oil, protective gear, maybe some wedges. And how would you guys carry all this crap? Maybe a hiker style backpack?

Damn now that's a serious firewood hauler. What's the asking price for that? Can't believe it's only 26k miles as a '88.

You're not concerned at all about setting the whole forest on fire? With my luck some embers would ignite the surrounding brush and set the whole area ablaze lol.

I'm taking down the second tree in my yard. So far so good except the stupid 6100 keeps dying when I pick up real quick. I set it on the ground to move branches around and when I pick it up, if I do it fast, the saw will die on me. I've been messing with the stupid carb adjustment screws all morning and still having issues with it. Damn thing is starting to piss me off now
I passed on it . Very nice truck guy truck was his gramps who used it on his property ,was asking 14k . Plus side low miles super clean ran great everything worked Cons to nice to destroy using it as a truck , a bare bones truck no options ,would cost to much to convert to a single wheel pickup .And since its coverted it would deminish its value as opposed to a nice 1 ton original . And the title was filled out to him and he never transferred it. So I'd have to wait for a new title in his name

Also, anyone have a recommendation on long lasting gloves? I bought a pair of gloves that are supposedly chainsaw protective gloves along with the chaps and hardhat. The left glove is padded to supposedly give protection from a chain although I don't see how the hell you could accidentally hit the top of your hand with a saw lol. If you have two hands holding the saw, how in the hell is the saw going to kick back into your hands? Anyway, the gloves are kind falling apart already and I just got them about a week ago. I used them to take the two trees down in my yard and now it looks like there will be a hole in one of the fingers. POS. Need something durable and, preferably, also very comfortable lol.

My bad, shouldn't have set the course of total thread derailment lol. I guess no politics, religion, or COVID.

I'm hoping the state park and/or charity rep responds soon. Trying to volunteer at some state parks near me as a trail maintainer. Figured that would give me an opportunity to run the chainsaw and/or swing an axe. Also found a charity near me in VA that donates firewood to the less fortunate. They're looking for volunteers to help split, stack, and cut. Sounds like a great cause so I'm trying to get involved with that. Maybe I could also use my new used truck to help transport the firewood.

What you guys bring if you were during trail maintenance/scrounging where you had to hump all your gear on your back? Chainsaw, spare chain, tool to take off the bar, maybe an axe, fuel mix, bar oil, protective gear, maybe some wedges. And how would you guys carry all this crap? Maybe a hiker style backpack?
I have a little daypack that I carry a scrench, spare chain(s), bar oil, fuel, maybe a couple extra bar nuts, PLENTY of rehydration for me, and maybe a snack. Wouldn't hurt to have a tuning screwdriver and a spark plug in there too.

Hey, I don't knock anyone who got the vaccine, and if you feel vulnerable, get it, many of my client's have had it before I visit.

I don't feel vulnerable, and with all the trouble folks have getting it, I'll leave mine for someone who needs it more than I do. It is great that we have it for those in need.

However, 78% of the people who are hospitalized are over weight. There are thing we can do other than to just run out and get a vaccine.

I am not on ANY drugs, but that is rare for someone my age. As a Country, we are far too dependent on drugs and far less concerned about changing our lifestyle to become more healthy.

We treat everything with drugs ... including ADD, high blood pressure and heart and breathing problems. They ALL have serious side effects, we are just kicking the can down the road.

PS - A study just released this morning show the African strain of Covid is 5 times more likely to infect someone who is fully vaccinated than someone who is not vaccinated. THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTES! Do what you feel it right for you, and live with it.

I do NOT have any complaints that someone feels that I infected them, and I'm sure I would hear about it if that were the case.

Have a good day, this is America, LIVE FREE OR DIE!
I 100% agree with that sentiment.

Also, anyone have a recommendation on long lasting gloves? I bought a pair of gloves that are supposedly chainsaw protective gloves along with the chaps and hardhat. The left glove is padded to supposedly give protection from a chain although I don't see how the hell you could accidentally hit the top of your hand with a saw lol. If you have two hands holding the saw, how in the hell is the saw going to kick back into your hands? Anyway, the gloves are kind falling apart already and I just got them about a week ago. I used them to take the two trees down in my yard and now it looks like there will be a hole in one of the fingers. POS. Need something durable and, preferably, also very comfortable lol.
I use cheap gloves and trash them when they wear out.

I have a little daypack that I carry a scrench, spare chain(s), bar oil, fuel, maybe a couple extra bar nuts, PLENTY of rehydration for me, and maybe a snack. Wouldn't hurt to have a tuning screwdriver and a spark plug in there too.
Oh yeah forgot those things were called screnches lol. Don't they already have a flat head on them? Didn't think of the bar nuts. Do you lose the nuts or something? And no axe man? I carry the Fiskars axe like it's a sword lol. Feel like a badass carrying a chainsaw and axe, like a knight carrying his weapons of war. Okay a bit dramatic lol.

I get cheap gloves in the highest packs I can find. Normally leather if i can get them cheap enough, but i have liked the cloth gloves with the rubber on the palm side. They last longer then the leather, but make my hands sweat something awful.

I get cheap gloves in the highest packs I can find. Normally leather if i can get them cheap enough, but i have liked the cloth gloves with the rubber on the palm side. They last longer then the leather, but make my hands sweat something awful.
Oh the ones with the little rubber dot things? I see them everywhere. I have some mechanic gloves with heavy duty rubber on the palms and fingers, meant to wear during the winter I guess. May try those gloves out and compare them with those cloth gloves.

I don't do any trail maintenance and am never very far from my truck. But I thought of a few things I would take if I were. Probably files for touch ups. I'd rather sharpen than change chains. I know, it's just me. And if you're carrying wedges in, you'll need something to drive them in. I guess you could use the flat of the ax or a short section of a limb. But I'd rather have a small hatchet. Yes more weight, but I de-limb the logs I'm working on with a hatchet if the branches are small enough. Lighter to swing than an ax. My $0.02.

I don't do any trail maintenance and am never very far from my truck. But I thought of a few things I would take if I were. Probably files for touch ups. I'd rather sharpen than change chains. I know, it's just me. And if you're carrying wedges in, you'll need something to drive them in. I guess you could use the flat of the ax or a short section of a limb. But I'd rather have a small hatchet. Yes more weight, but I de-limb the logs I'm working on with a hatchet if the branches are small enough. Lighter to swing than an ax. My $0.02.
oh yeah a hatchet would be perfect I think. Lighter and smaller than an axe, easier to fit in a pack. I have to find my chain sharpener apparatus, haven't seen it in about a year. I think it's somewhere in my garage which is a total mess right now.

Back