Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out to Mitch's again this arvo to collect the remaining good peppermint log ....... Here's the nice peppermint log.

View attachment 900861

A few peppermint logs here, some were solid,.....
Some of the peppermint logs you've posted look pretty straight. Ever have and sawn into lumber? Do they ever make lumber from them? What's the grain look like?

You know how much of the population will have to be infected to attain natural immunity? Let's say 75 - 85%! Death toll is 500k+(although it may be artificially high according to some). We're, as the supposedly most powerful country in the world, going to let this virus kill an exponentially higher amount of people just to attain natural immunity? When we have a freaking vaccine?

Yeah you refuse to live in fear of COVID so screw everyone else I guess. Like I said, America the Selfish. It's all about me. What about shared sacrifices for the common good?
I believe if you look it up, more people have died of covid after the vaccine became available than died before the vaccine became available. Also getting the vaccine doesnot protect you from getting the covid. My future granddaughter inlaw got the shots and now has tested positive. So much for the vaccine. Also, My grandson has tested negative as well as his step daddy and they have been around her a lot, and neither of them have taken the shot.

Mules truly are great animals, tough, reliable, smarter than a horse.......Mules in large part built this country, and most of us have no idea of their contribution.....
My Dad had to take over working the small farm when he was young because my Grandfather became sick. When he was something like 12-16 years old (can't remember exact age) he would plow the farm with a TEAM OF MULES. Blows my mind someone that young could do that and not too long ago. When they sold the mules, my Grandfather cried, because they were like a part of the family.

I used to help my Grandpa plow with a mule. Mostly I just walked in front of grandpa and held the handles. My grandma always said the worst thing grandpa ever did was sell the mule and buy a tractor. She claimed the tractor plowed all the good ground under and ruined the gardens.

Here's the stump grinder that I have rented locally. Works really well.
Lee
Damn that's a serious machine right there. Don't think HD has that kind of stump grinder. Also I just have two stumps to grind up, hopefully I can make do with something smaller.

On another note, finally heard back from the state park volunteer coordinator. She game me a list of state parks near me that my need some help clearing trails. Also told me about a new-ish state park near me that's cutting new trails. Now all I have to do is convince the park ranger there that I'm not a total idiot and massive liability lol. With my luck I'll be relegated to using hand tools while the chainsaw stays in the truck.

Well not fire wood, but wood. Started on one of the many honey do list projects. It's clearly been brought to my attention that my wife and I share a vision. It's just not the same one. She wanted a flower bed next to the house. Even got some shrubs and little trees and started planting them. She said she wanted two levels so it looked better. I said ok, and drew her up what I thought she wanted.(with measurements) set string lines so she could have a visual. Showed her how I still had to finish grading the yard by the side of the house so this would work out just fine. Keep the lip about 4 inches high to to the ground line at the front of the house, run level till we get close to the water spigot. Then drop down 12 inches and run level till the back of the house. She said yep perfect. We went and got lumber, and today after work I got started on it. Had the back and middle short pieces in till she got home with the kids, set the back long piece in, and she said. "That's too low. I want that level higher." I said "how much higher?" Wife said "another board higher." (Insert slapping head emoji) so I added another 5 foot length of 2x8 to the back side, which put the level up that nearly the entire 2x8 along the long side was above grade, which meant I needed to add another section under it to fill in the air gap above grade, which also meant I was now short a 2x8 from this plan deviation. Ok, shes happy. Then she said when I back fill it she wants the top soil to be 4 inches bellow the top of the top board. And that's when the fight started. I realized that what I had done to help her visualize what I thought she wanted was not close. She wanted to use the 2x8 as an edging to keep the grass from mowing out of her flowers, so we kinda met in the middle. Heres where it stand now. I still need to run across town and grab another 2x8. The lowes here close doesnt handle 2x anything pressure treated rated for ground contact.
20210413_195848.jpg

For depth reference that 3 2x8 on top of each other, the bottom one is about 2 inches below the drive way grade. I was planning on only using 2 2x8 for this end. All I can say I'd happy wife happy life, lol.

View attachment 900992
Also, look at that cluster ****! Previous owner wired all kinds of crap for towing and lights. Now I want to take all that stuff out of there but it looks pretty intimidating
Just grab ahold and yank lol. I like wiring. Just trace the wires to where they go, and take out what doesnt belong, or what you dont want. Should really take the ground off the battery before you begin as well.

Damn that's a serious machine right there. Don't think HD has that kind of stump grinder. Also I just have two stumps to grind up, hopefully I can make do with something smaller.

On another note, finally heard back from the state park volunteer coordinator. She game me a list of state parks near me that my need some help clearing trails. Also told me about a new-ish state park near me that's cutting new trails. Now all I have to do is convince the park ranger there that I'm not a total idiot and massive liability lol. With my luck I'll be relegated to using hand tools while the chainsaw stays in the truck.
You might be pleasantly surprised at how reasonably you can rent a machine like that. You could probably have the two stumps done in one hour and it won't beat you up like a lighter machine will.
View attachment 900992
Also, look at that cluster ****! Previous owner wired all kinds of crap for towing and lights. Now I want to take all that stuff out of there but it looks pretty intimidating
WTF!?! :dumb2: That's one of the worst looking wiring jobs I've seen on what I'm guessing is a 04ish Silverado. Some people should just keep their hands out of their vehicles.

Just grab ahold and yank lol. I like wiring. Just trace the wires to where they go, and take out what doesnt belong, or what you dont want. Should really take the ground off the battery before you begin as well.
I was thinking about tracing it from the end to the front. So find all the crap at the rear of the truck then trace the wires to the front. I would love to just cut all the damn wires and rip it out lol.
You might be pleasantly surprised at how reasonably you can rent a machine like that. You could probably have the two stumps done in one hour and it won't beat you up like a lighter machine will.

WTF!?! :dumb2: That's one of the worst looking wiring jobs I've seen on what I'm guessing is a 04ish Silverado. Some people should just keep their hands out of their vehicles.
Hmm that's a good point. Heavy duty equipment will make quick work out of these stumps. It's a 2012 Sierra that someone owned before me that really, really liked LED lights.

View attachment 900992
Every damn used truck I’ve bought has some stupid ass trailer brake box that looks like it was wired by a 3 year old. Drives me nuts.

Spent over 4 hours in the garage tonight, was a nice getaway. Continued to organize the place a bit, put bars on saws and grabbed some pics, and worked on my friend’s 2159. It’s ready to go back to him once I can get it tuned properly.

Discovered that the ZoggerXS 371 fuel tank has a leak through the bottom seam so I’m going to have to order one. Sucks but the tank already had a repair on it when I got it and I suppose the UPS ride to Michigan and back jarred loose the epoxy or whatever is on the bottom.

Let's all play nice! I believe we can discuss lots of things w/o anyone getting butt hurt ...

I was going to say like Americans ... then I realized we have great folks on this site from around the world, so I took my words back!

We should not have to all think the same to respect one another. Let freedom ring! Or, as the old saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Had to clear the way into our mountain place, got some firewood in the process. The limbs are firewood “now”, nice and dry. None of the four trees/trunks were dry. The first tree was on the gate/cable. Good thing it wasn’t an actual gate, I’d be replacing or repairing it. This way all I had to do is push the posts back out and drop rocks in the hole to keep them there, now you can’t tell anything happened.
C3BA69B4-EB51-499E-B7FE-16648B62B9ED.jpeg
23258C18-4E81-41B8-9A1C-F556414B9273.jpeg
1C7E1A90-22F1-4C88-B477-FCEC1AEA2F21.jpeg
D87972C0-0670-448F-A4D3-91731AA75405.jpeg
CF41D454-9A0E-4791-AE17-67566AABEAF9.jpeg

Back