Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m thinking about getting a few layers for next year. Going to have to figure out a secured run cause there’s lots of foxes and other predators around.

Fresh eggs are just so damn good.
electric fence will do wonders for that and they have solar powered ones as well, . I am stripping one coop at a time and pulling up the cheap self stick tile and painting the floor with roof cement. Pulling bits of tile out when cleaning a coop gets old

Back in my ranching days ('80s & 90s) I used to run a LOT of hotwire (electric fence), mostly around wheat fields for winter wheat pasture, 300 or more acres broken into smaller chunks on multiple places. In a few places we could plug in the fence controllers, but most of our places were not served by electricity so we depended on 6-volt auto batteries (recharging was a PITA). The solar fence controllers were new on the market, novel & expensive--outside my budget.

One spring, just after we'd all removed cattle from wheat pasture, I was out hunting a stray steer and found myself on a neighbor's place where a solar fence charger was hooked up to his hotwire. It was turned off since the cattle were gone from the place. Without really thinking about it, I just idly switched the thing on out of curiosity. At that exact split second a jet broke the sound barrier, leaving me for a moment to feel like I'd triggered a massive explosion. A moment later I understood what had happened, but it sure had me rattled.

beavers but did get a heron once
One time when cutting hay--the old fashioned way with a sickle bar mower--I was going right along with the tractor and ran onto a brown heron in the meadow. The brown heron is little brother of the tall blue heron--they blend pretty well into their surroundings--so I didn't see this one until the mowing machine cut his legs off. Felt terrible about it, but there was nothing to be done. Some coyote ate well that evening.

Another time, mowing oats hay (god that stuff made great feed) I looked back several rows behind the swather and saw a sizable brown lump between the windrows, which didn't make sense. Stopped the tractor, went to investigate. I had beheaded a fawn. That thing never moved from its bed, just flattened itself so the body was unmolested. Hunted and hunted but could not locate its head. The body was perfect, smooth, silky--so at dinner time I brought it home to show the kids. They were interested, kinda, but my wife had a fit. "You bring home a headless corpse--they'll be traumatized." I bet anything if I asked them now (in their 40s) they probably would not recall that such a thing ever occurred.

One time when cutting hay--the old fashioned way with a sickle bar mower--I was going right along with the tractor and ran onto a brown heron in the meadow. The brown heron is little brother of the tall blue heron--they blend pretty well into their surroundings--so I didn't see this one until the mowing machine cut his legs off. Felt terrible about it, but there was nothing to be done. Some coyote ate well that evening.

Another time, mowing oats hay (god that stuff made great feed) I looked back several rows behind the swather and saw a sizable brown lump between the windrows, which didn't make sense. Stopped the tractor, went to investigate. I had beheaded a fawn. That thing never moved from its bed, just flattened itself so the body was unmolested. Hunted and hunted but could not locate its head. The body was perfect, smooth, silky--so at dinner time I brought it home to show the kids. They were interested, kinda, but my wife had a fit. "You bring home a headless corpse--they'll be traumatized." I bet anything if I asked them now (in their 40s) they probably would not recall that such a thing ever occurred.
Just last year I had a friend in harvest out west , said the got a small buck caught up in the header of a big combine. Sucked his butt right in till they got it stopped. Pretty nasty mess, felt awful bad for the deer but nothing they could do about it. He said it took a few hours to get all of him out if the header. His boss wouldn't allow pictures, but he said it wasn't a nice sight.

Bonfire update. About 5 cubes worth down there now.

Bonfire 2.jpg

I plan to get the rest of the wood down there this weekend, along with the poles and leafy tops. We have rain coming on Monday so I'll keep the light stuff (leaves/bark/sticks) under cover until the rain finishes up. It is currently about 5.5 ft high.

Well my son was able to get his chicken coop built, boards we milled last year from a red fir at moms, osb was scraps from construction sites and plywood that was dropped from a helicopter on its way to a ranch on the salmon river, metal roofing that blew off hanger roof. It’s 13 x 20, room for 100 chickens, has less than $300 in it, pretty good scrounge, lol.C0F8439D-2126-4496-AD89-40DE555940C1.jpegEED0724C-ABE3-456A-9703-60B06F70DFFD.jpeg

Cowboy will be melting everyone's vinyl siding within a 3 mile radius! Haha

That's the aim, it should be a good one - or at least as good as I can do without heavy machinery. The other aim is that when Kiwibro (may he scrounge in peace) looks to the west next Saturday night, he will see a warm orange glow.

Bonfire update. Firstly, had to test the stability of the core, I don't want it to fall over.

Bonfire 3.jpg

Took another load down (number 6)

Bonfire 4.jpg

Then number 7. You get to this stage and another load makes a very minor difference.

Bonfire 5.jpg

Then I went out to a mate's farm to scrounge some leafy tops. The first load was a bit sparse in the leaf department but the second load was better. I took the back road into town.

Bonfire 6.jpg

:)

Bonfire update. Firstly, had to test the stability of the core, I don't want it to fall over.

View attachment 905673

Took another load down (number 6)

View attachment 905674

Then number 7. You get to this stage and another load makes a very minor difference.

View attachment 905675

Then I went out to a mate's farm to scrounge some leafy tops. The first load was a bit sparse in the leaf department but the second load was better. I took the back road into town.

View attachment 905676

:)
Cowboy, you’ll have to give us an estimate of how many terawatts of energy your going to crank out on the night.

I’m thinking about getting a few layers for next year. Going to have to figure out a secured run cause there’s lots of foxes and other predators around.

Fresh eggs are just so damn good.
sure are! 9 dozen minus a couple in refer currently... all yard eggs. brunch for dinner the other day ~
P1010032.JPGP1010033.JPG

Back in my ranching days ('80s & 90s) I used to run a LOT of hotwire (electric fence), mostly around wheat fields for winter wheat pasture, 300 or more acres broken into smaller chunks on multiple places. In a few places we could plug in the fence controllers, but most of our places were not served by electricity so we depended on 6-volt auto batteries (recharging was a PITA). The solar fence controllers were new on the market, novel & expensive--outside my budget.

One spring, just after we'd all removed cattle from wheat pasture, I was out hunting a stray steer and found myself on a neighbor's place where a solar fence charger was hooked up to his hotwire. It was turned off since the cattle were gone from the place. Without really thinking about it, I just idly switched the thing on out of curiosity. At that exact split second a jet broke the sound barrier, leaving me for a moment to feel like I'd triggered a massive explosion. A moment later I understood what had happened, but it sure had me rattled.
lol, good one!
1620481886714.png

1620481772343.png

Well my son was able to get his chicken coop built, boards we milled last year from a red fir at moms, osb was scraps from construction sites and plywood that was dropped from a helicopter on its way to a ranch on the salmon river, metal roofing that blew off hanger roof. It’s 13 x 20, room for 100 chickens, has less than $300 in it, pretty good scrounge, lol.View attachment 905655View attachment 905652
indeed! was over a rancher friends other day... he is getting on... and so said, can you go into the coop and gather the eggs. should be some... maybe a hen, too. just shoo her off... she was there. and 3 of the nest boxes had eggs. i said several have lots of eggs. they sometimes lay in same nest. gathered up doz n half...

1620482262837.png
got a refer full of fresh yard eggs... 9 doz a week or so back, now less...

Latest posts

Back