Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’re about to move out of Cali and I still have about 2cord worth of Eucalyptus to finish up. Rounds from 16-42” left to split and haul.
free to a good home. Wood has been drying for a year + but still splits fine. I have a splitter and can help split or quarter the rounds if needed. 4x4 truck helpful but not mandatory. Need this done in the next few weeks.
there are also a couple of trees that should be dropped and cut up for another couple cord.

located in sf East Bay Area, Hercules

pm if interested
No offense and maybe I missed something, but if you are leaving the place then why are you doing all the work of busting up the wood just to give it away? Seems to me that if you are fixing to move you would have plenty of other things to get done right now.
P.S. Not interested in helping or the wood being that I'm about 2k miles away.

No offense and maybe I missed something, but if you are leaving the place then why are you doing all the work of busting up the wood just to give it away? Seems to me that if you are fixing to move you would have plenty of other things to get done right now.
P.S. Not interested in helping or the wood being that I'm about 2k miles away.
The city will eventually take over this open space. Once that happens...no more access. I've been cutting up the downed trees there for 20yrs.
I just hate seeing perfectly good firewood wind up in the landfill.
If I could I'd haul it to Idaho but that's impractical.

I should have taken this 20 years ago....back then you needed to provide "need" in the state of MN (which I could have) but several years ago they changed the law so you can get one for any reason. I have not yet been in a bad situation but in this day and age you never know what kind of hopped up weirdo might try to harm your family. Don’t have a hot wife to defend any more but still have 5 beautiful kids and my ugly ass lol.
I find the videos on John Correia's 'Active Self Protection' YouTube channel interesting. It's a vicarious pleasure though as I'm British and not allowed to own handguns. I worked part-time in a gunshop and was a Range Officer in my teens and twenties. Here's a link to the channel:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw

It seems mum has decided to fit a swanky new designer inset stove so has a rock solid French made cast iron stove to re-home...to me. 600lb rated sack truck is £30 on eBay so moving it isn't an issue. I'm thinking 2*1m lengths of enamel flue pipe which costs about another £50. I'm going to have a swanky outdoor stove this summer!

We’re about to move out of Cali and I still have about 2cord worth of Eucalyptus to finish up. Rounds from 16-42” left to split and haul.
free to a good home. Wood has been drying for a year + but still splits fine. I have a splitter and can help split or quarter the rounds if needed. 4x4 truck helpful but not mandatory. Need this done in the next few weeks.
there are also a couple of trees that should be dropped and cut up for another couple cord.

located in sf East Bay Area, Hercules

pm if interested

I'm going to need to see some pics first before I drive all the way over to California to pic it up. ;)

I'm going to need to see some pics first before I drive all the way over to California to pic it up. ;)
A boat may be a bit faster, but you down under folk are pretty rough and tumble, so I'd bet you'll wrangle a crock or great white and traverse on the back of them. Lol.

Cc? Concealed carry? I are gun laws the same across the US or do they vary much by state? What is it that, once certified, is legal to carry? I'm guessing there's a magazine limit, rate of fire or semi auto restriction, maybe more? Or could you legally carry an M16 into town under your coat? I assume hunting rifles, shotguns and such can be carried unconcealed with different certs/restrictions? And what is legal for a home owner to have inside their home?

Yes. Technically called “permit to carry” in Minnesota. but I say CC cause many others know what that is

Most instructors are certified to teach in more that one state and several states have reciprocity. So you are covered for most the country except for the f’ed up states like IL, CA, NY, and MA.

PTC allows you to carry a concealed weapon. I do not believe there are any restrictions on what sort of weapon that could be.

In regards to open carry, that also varies by state; some states allow this and some don’t.

You can own any type of firearm but you need a special license for ones that are fully automatic. Or I believe anything larger than .50 BMG

Wowsers, so with a PTC you can walk around with pretty much anything under your coat. Different here, you need firearms certificate for anything with a muzzle velocity over..... Think it's 40fps. Anything more than a small air rifle basically. Since I don't have an interest I don't know the details but basically any sort of firearm above that limit needs to be kept in approved safe and separate from the ammunition I think, plus tight restrictions on where it can be used and how it is transported. Civilian carriage of any firearm in a state to be used in any place outside a gun club etc would not be allowed. Not sure how it works for farms and game shoots exactly but they are ok for shotguns and hunting rifles, but probably not much else.

Cc? Concealed carry? I are gun laws the same across the US or do they vary much by state? What is it that, once certified, is legal to carry? I'm guessing there's a magazine limit, rate of fire or semi auto restriction, maybe more? Or could you legally carry an M16 into town under your coat? I assume hunting rifles, shotguns and such can be carried unconcealed with different certs/restrictions? And what is legal for a home owner to have inside their home?
Federal regulations prohibited individuals from owning anything full auto, or burst fire, without the proper paperwork. Which is a massive pain to own. So no can't really own an m16. There are also licenses called ffl or federal firearm license. There are different classes, for different types of firearm classes, dealers, manufacturers, and or collectors. How I understand it, one class isn't mutual to one person/company, and you can hold different classes depending on your circumstances.
State level gun laws vary greatly state to state. It's actually hard to keep after them all. As well as carry permit reciprocity. Think there's something like 50k + gun laws in america, hard to keep after them all.

Usually a carry permit is referring to a handgun carry permit, and in states like NY you can not own a handgun w/o a carry permit (either hunting/target or full carry).

State laws vary so much you would think we did not have a 2nd Amendment! It is so insane that even though I have a full carry in NYS (which means I was investigated by the FBI and other law enforcement) I am not allowed to carry in NYC!!! (Where else would I need it???). Also, NY has a magazine restriction on both handguns and rifles of 10 rounds (if it has a detachable magazine). If you have a tube fed lever action, you are allowed to have more.

Steve forgot to mention NJ, one of the worst states. There are cases where someone was transported an unloaded, cased, handgun in their trunk going from where it is legally owned it to a shooting event in another state (where it is legal), but they get busted going through NJ where it is illegal to transport it.

Stupidity has replaced common sense. The Mayor of NY talks about how we have to stop the flow of guns into the city ... which seems to acknowledge that the folks who live in NYC are not civilized enough to be around firearms w/o shooting one another.

The truth of the matter is that most folks in NYC are good people, but they are not allowed to have firearms to defend themselves, so the armed gang members are causing chaos in conjunction with the defund the police movement. Murders in NYC and most other major cities here have increased dramatically this year.

The more politicians focus on gun control, instead of criminal control (law enforcement), the worse the situation gets. Guns are just the scapegoat.

No one wants a return to the shootouts of the Wild West, but being a duck in a shooting gallery is even worse than that!

Usually a carry permit is referring to a handgun carry permit, and it states like NY you can not own a handgun w/o a carry permit (either hunting/target or full carry).

State laws vary so much you would think we did not have a 2nd Amendment! It is so insane that even though I have a full carry in NYS (which means I was investigated by the FBI and other law enforcement) I am not allowed to carry in NYC!!! (Where else would I need it???). Also, NY has a magazine restriction on both handguns and rifles of 10 rounds (if it has a detachable magazine). If you have a tube fed lever action, you are allowed to have more.

Steve forgot to mention NJ, one of the worst states. There are cases where someone was transported an unloaded, cased, handgun in their trunk going from where it is legally owned it to a shooting event in another state (where it is legal), but they get busted going through NJ where it is illegal to transport it.

Stupidity has replaced common sense. The Mayor of NY talks about how we have to stop the flow of guns into the city ... which seems to acknowledge that the folks who live in NYC are not civilized enough to be around firearms w/o shooting one another.

The truth of the matter is that most folks in NYC are good people, but they are not allowed to have firearms to defend themselves, so the armed gang members are causing chaos in conjunction with the defund the police movement. Murders in NYC and most other major cities here have increased dramatically this year.

The more politicians focus on gun control, instead of criminal control (law enforcement), the worse the situation gets. Guns are just the scapegoat.

No one wants a return to the shootouts of the Wild West, but being a duck in a shooting gallery is even worse than that!
Yes!!

So basically I can own an air rifle with enough power to shoot small birds and rats without a certificate. No more.
And that's the beauty of being an American. I could buy a fully functioning military surplus tank and park it on my front lawn if I felt the need and no one would say a peep.

Back