Scrounging with a Forester?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Right now my 02 Forester is my daily driver. In the rear of my Forester I have a cargo mat and a dog cage/partition for my GSD (Frank). I also have a 4x8 HF Trailer that is a true work horse that's paid for itself MANY times over! Problem is, the tow hitch on Subaru's can only handle 200lb tongue weight. I've done a lot more than that (hauling stones, mulch, etc.) for short trips but I don't like pushing it since I rely on it.

I plan to start going out on Sundays and looking to scrounge fallen trees on public land/road sides/(and with the owner's permission) private property. I figure I'll use the thicker limbs and trunk and just section them on site then split when I get home. Just want to see if I should take the trailer from the start or try to just use the cargo area of my Forester.

Does anyone use a wagon or small SUV to scrounge wood? Is it useful or just not enough room to haul with?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Take the trailer. I cut some wood and loaded it in a grand cherokee just to go camping and it wasn't enough.

Here's some pics

Van Loads

9-y5_vOgE5Fmp6gE8smGKxOJlUtn3JMDVricuWDbCifWfPXWqLsTXuGnzBryr-PI8fwvMuK0Arz0swdQIFs4wV2JnVylBLnrE-OvWbJxCnaampfr2mIe7Ut_lgQtuBSvMUO3-bbE3hjgaZH5PtSGe09gCwY4KWgdNAO4CqZ2P_JtetRnjXWsBVKpstJV6NZKlBLDJlD3_lSLM1NoECHCYqFTMCKTNDB1VF_HyPiEDLrQnf6Bzeh0ChFzwNLvf4g39rE642kRegptP8N8NgApNgtHmWd9Ood9byHbH8C5vg71Ho0ZpuDntQUBgD0fQRhNorsZYLAFL68Oy2lj3XkTkuMLpxto5g4Hrwlrk9xWfztT135qW7moBL_1aS1PUdrxP2tho06algLsubv46BD5nMmI0ofxKTZ1-9-aP-dNukEPTImYu3gLe4EpiV-MNdCR3rmjjO9XIsemn-FuWIe1QgVf6unDYGteIVvUBx6OiBgMuhTNCmeNkGycpRdNv8uSF2GXJnoGyYWfrfZWpIwex22-_lCXSZnl0gN1Wcoh4yQlJFqGxZI1rRId14tjMEl0S8Ic7a7sdW9t0QrwmuYC63Zwan4BZazEUWtB2kGjm4tfXBhHWdGwog3uR89Bnx8WRveJZ9yT4ukiqQqV9OTYUVk1ULEK55TK0gVD2_o7ZVI=w576-h324-no

Not my car but you don't need big to haul wood lol

Let me know if the pics don't work , I'm not liking google lately .

Here's some pics

Van Loads

9-y5_vOgE5Fmp6gE8smGKxOJlUtn3JMDVricuWDbCifWfPXWqLsTXuGnzBryr-PI8fwvMuK0Arz0swdQIFs4wV2JnVylBLnrE-OvWbJxCnaampfr2mIe7Ut_lgQtuBSvMUO3-bbE3hjgaZH5PtSGe09gCwY4KWgdNAO4CqZ2P_JtetRnjXWsBVKpstJV6NZKlBLDJlD3_lSLM1NoECHCYqFTMCKTNDB1VF_HyPiEDLrQnf6Bzeh0ChFzwNLvf4g39rE642kRegptP8N8NgApNgtHmWd9Ood9byHbH8C5vg71Ho0ZpuDntQUBgD0fQRhNorsZYLAFL68Oy2lj3XkTkuMLpxto5g4Hrwlrk9xWfztT135qW7moBL_1aS1PUdrxP2tho06algLsubv46BD5nMmI0ofxKTZ1-9-aP-dNukEPTImYu3gLe4EpiV-MNdCR3rmjjO9XIsemn-FuWIe1QgVf6unDYGteIVvUBx6OiBgMuhTNCmeNkGycpRdNv8uSF2GXJnoGyYWfrfZWpIwex22-_lCXSZnl0gN1Wcoh4yQlJFqGxZI1rRId14tjMEl0S8Ic7a7sdW9t0QrwmuYC63Zwan4BZazEUWtB2kGjm4tfXBhHWdGwog3uR89Bnx8WRveJZ9yT4ukiqQqV9OTYUVk1ULEK55TK0gVD2_o7ZVI=w576-h324-no

Not my car but you don't need big to haul wood lol

Let me know if the pics don't work , I'm not liking google lately .

I'd worry about the shocks!! What is that a Geo?

The second post you did I can't see the pics.

-Emt1581

I think if I were you I'd keep the saws and everything in the hatch and haul wood in the trailer. 200 lbs of tongue weight makes for a 2000 lb trailer. The trailer can't be more than 300 lbs, right? So 1700 lbs of payload plus your gear. That's pretty good for a Subaru.

The other option is carry less gear and keep it up front and carry a smaller load of wood in the hatch. The trailer will be much easier to load and unload than the car would, though.

I don't think I'd try hauling a load in the car and pulling a trailer. A couple chunks maybe, but not a full load. That would be too much stress on the brakes and suspension.

Keep in mind that "road sides" are often someone's private land too. They are on my road for sure.

The only suspension worry I'd have is bottoming out , find the load that keeps it within the suspension travel and it should work as the car is designed .
If you haul a small trailer , load to the recommended max weight without worries , just make sure your your brakes are up to snuff .

I vote for the trailer as well. I use one with my Tiguan. I have found if you act professorially and do not leave a mess the landowner will always let you come back top pick up the rest of the wood. I like to leave the area better than I found it so that if a tree was to come down I am the first call. If you want a more stout hitch get one from Europe they are rated for horse trailers.

One concern with that combo would be getting stuck. Your gonna drive that onto private land and the "what if's" pile in my head.
But I vote the trailer also, at least you can disconnect it if there's a problem.

Latest posts

Back