Sealing Wounds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wive's tales, propaganda and convention all can be mistaken for knowledge. There's no work in attaining that sort of 'knowledge'. All you have to do is believe it.

Mebbe a penny seaed into the wound site? Hmmm...?

OK, enuff. Let's get back to biology.

As Mike also said, not every wound will turn into a cavity. True. This is a crucial point. It is up to the individual climbing practitioner to determine which wound is ien route to becoming a cavity. I see this as a cavity by cavity assesment.

Which wounds might become cavities? Wounds whose bare-wood cross section begins to crack. Wounds whose bare-wood cross section <i>has</i> cracked. Wounds whose bare-wood cross section has visual signs of progressive decay. Wounds whose bare-wood cross section faces upward, or toward prevailing precipitation.

Here's a few examples:

But isn't research 'academic' ?

TM,
I believe you're doing ........research. Keep it up, I'm listening.

Research? That might be intimidating to the naysayers. For the sake of all, let's break that word down into a definition and see if, indeed, we are doing 'research'.

This is from the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary
re-search
1 : Careful or diligent search
2 : Studious inquiry or examination; esp. explanation or experimentation aimed at the discovery
and interpretation of facts and the revision of accepted theories or laws in the light of new
facts.
3 : The practical application of such new revised theories or laws.

Yup, we're doing research.

Here's a couple more pictures, Mike. These two shots are of the same wound site. Note especially the second image. Image two is in perfect focus at the surface, but is completely out of focus looking into the cavity. This is because the hollow goes way into the heartwood.

This progression started years ago as a limb having been removed. Any comment, Mike?

Back