Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

My point is, wood is not always consistent, even within the same tree. The ratio of wood fiber, air, moisture and pitch is not consistent in every piece of wood. Sap wood vs heartwood, not the same.

2. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Interesting setup. Seems like alot of extra work dealing with 8ft logs, though I suppose makes for a tighter load on the truck. We handle and haul logs in tree length.

3. sundance

sundance ArboristSite Operative

I'd love to see a picture of those 40 to 50 foot tall stacks.

ChoppyChoppy likes this.
  4. CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest I am NOT a tree freak.

Here in MI the max plate sticker is 160,000. But they still have to abide by axle ratings which is why there are so many tag axles.

Our roads suck though.

Duce likes this.
  5. sb47

Weight ratings protect roadways but it's the bridge weights that are more important. Most truckers are not gonna move there axles just to cross a bridge.

6. CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest I am NOT a tree freak.

Our bridges suck too.

The roads and their supporting infrastructure here really are in horrible condition.

sent from a field

7. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

I very much agree wood is never the same. I cut some Pine a few years ago and thought the wood was some what heavy. After three years it still seemed heavy so took some samples and it burned fine, but was much heavier than the rest. After some years handling wood fewer surprises come about. Thanks

8. Ted Jenkins

I have not delivered to Newport Beach in several years and I am sure the owner has since passed away, but I have a new camera so maybe I could click a few. I know a guy in a close by community that stacks pretty high too. For me I go 20' high, but now and then a stack falls over. It is no fun to restack a pile that you spent all day putting up. Thanks

9. chucker

chucker Addicted to ArboristSite

"SEASONED", this word can be interpreted in many ways to time and flavor ! seasoned, as in as little as 3 month's or as lightly salted and peppered to taste.. ??? now for a better choice of a word "AGED" wood, settle in as a better statement for "QUALITY"...…..

10. sb47

How are you defining "AGED"

chucker likes this.
  11. chucker

aged as in older then dirt!! lol
    aged as in dusty and dry! aged as in "seasoned like a well aged bottle of whisky" …..

sb47 likes this.
  12. sb47

To me the word "seasoned" means at least as old as one season of the year.
    Aged could mean anything form a day old to infinity.

13. Ted Jenkins

I cut a Pine tree that was interfering with a power line 3 weeks ago. It had pitch dripping around the edge. The customer did not like the hack job that the power company did so he asked if I had time, because he wanted it gone. It is now aged seasoned and ready to burn because I burnt some yesterday. There is no difference to some I cut last spring. Oak will take up to 3 months to be fully ready to burn remember this is not our rainy season. We do not have issues with seasoned aged or dry wood here, no we have fires that devourers hundreds of square miles of landscape if left unattended. Thanks

chucker likes this.
  14. chucker

like an aged steak rare to medium well done... yum-yum ...

15. chucker

?? I wonder?? "seasoned wood", I wonder if Barbecued Wood is seasoned or seasoned ?? ?? seasoned in taste or seasoned in age ?? I wonder?? ! BBQ WOOD??! LOL now this is puzzling.

16. sb47

I season my wood with "Time"

chucker likes this.
  17. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Sold some year old Oak firewood today to a guy who bought a rather nice smoker from Oklahoma. I guess he used to live down that way for a number of years. Saw pictures. Work of art on wheels with a trailer hitch. Lots of stainless steel. Guess the firewood is seasoned enough.

MNGuns likes this.
  18. MNGuns

MNGuns [INSERT COOL STUFF HERE]

Every buyers is different. I've had the dont cares and the must be perfect both. Throw an honest ad out there and see what bites. :)

19. Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane AS Member

Seems odd quoting myself, but I misspoke.

The smoker is from Tuscaloosa, AL and this guys website is worth passing on and checking out.
    shirleyfabrication.com

20. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

I just use my personal judgement as to if the wood is properly season. I just cut and burn for myself, so I aint trying to satisfy anybody else. I try to only burn wood that has been cut and split for at least a year. I store the wood in the dry so it doesnt get rained on. My firewood may lay in log form for a year before splitting and then stacked in the shed a year before burning. I dont really stick to any one method of choosing which wood to burn. If its wood, it burns. Sometimes when I load the wagon for the stove, I might stop at the wood pile and throw on a few sticks that are laying in the way of my mower. Those sticks may or maynot be completely dry, but they are in the way so I burn them. Some wood just dries faster than other woods. I have a bunch of Bradford Pear that will be rotten if left in a plie for a year. Got some big white oak that has been laying on the ground for almost two years, Mushrooms growing on it, I bet if split it would be sopping wet inside. Got a few Maple logs a couple months ago, not big stuff, and looks to be drying in log form. certainly not dry wood, but once split should be ready to burn this winter. Anyways, I basicly burn what I have, not always what I want. If I need a fire, even green wood will do. Any wood laying on the bare soil will always be wet and wont burnworth a hoot. Stack it inside by the stove for a few days and it will burn like tinder.