seasoned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been splitting my wood on and off for the last month. Don't have a whole lot left to go at this location. It's really just wood from 3 trees... 1 red oak, 1 black, and 1 beech. The red oak and beech were cut down in June of 05, and the black oak was cut down in Jan of this year. The logs have just been sitting around not doing much except for the last month or so. Would you guys say that this wood will be considered seasoned by the time burning season arrives? BTW, none of these pieces have been huge... biggest is maybe 20" diameter or less.

Also depends on how much contact it had with wet or moist soil and for how long,otherwise it should do you fine this winter. There are trees i havent yet cut that i will split and sell this winter and will have no complaints. My biggest complaints believe it or not are because wood burns to fast. But those complaints come from people who burn wood to heat. I have customers who only burn for the atmosphere, they want it to lite fast and burn time doesnt matter.

B-Edwards said:
Also depends on how much contact it had with wet or moist soil and for how long,otherwise it should do you fine this winter. There are trees i havent yet cut that i will split and sell this winter and will have no complaints. My biggest complaints believe it or not are because wood burns to fast. But those complaints come from people who burn wood to heat. I have customers who only burn for the atmosphere, they want it to lite fast and burn time doesnt matter.

all due respect B-edwards, and this is not meant as any sort of flaming, but Where are you located? What kind of wood? do those customers return?

In Western PA where I live if you cut something today and try to burn it this winter that stuff will bubble and hiss and spend all its BTU's boiling off water rather than heating your house. Not to mention an increased amount of creosote lining the chimney.

I actually have bought a few cords that were called seasoned and they boiled and hissed like mad and they definately didn't like the same species that I seasoned for 8 months. I didn't call the guys back because i had stacked it already and left it for this winter- but they sure aren't getting my business again.

All of this to say- burn that stuff next year- then you will get proper bang for your buck. put energy into heating your home not boiling water and sap. Some say you should let oak dry for over a year (i think this overkill but it shows that 1-3 months will not do a proper job).

my $.02.

Hello sir, most of the wood i will sell is 1 year old (split and stacked) I'm in NC mtns . Dont think I've lost a customer yet , they all seem very happy with the wood . I know what your saying ,grew up heating with wood. Dont think NC governs firewood like other states. Ah i did have 1 customer that didnt like wood i took him ( white oak layed on ground a year before i split it) that crap wouldnt burn for anything. I dont like to short change my customers and i wont if i realize it. I can look at a stick of wood and usualy tell if it will burn,(thats a split stick).But so far Repeat year after year. Maple, Birch, different Oaks, Sourwood, no Poplar or Pines.

Seasoning Time

Two things come to mind when reading the above thread.

Some of you are making comments about seasoning times in your area that works for you and is necessary for your customers. The seasoning time varies with the local weather. When you are as dry as we have been this summer (drought conditions) and as hot as we have been (many days over 100) wood will dry much quicker even when it isn't split. As also stated it depends on the amount of moisture that contacts the wood.

I sold 30 cords last year and most of it seasoned about 3 months, some of it dead and standing from the summer, cut and split prior to delivery. First thing is always tell the customer the truth. I never tell the customer it is seasoned if it isn't. If it's a dead tree I tell them that. No surprises that way. No complaints from anyone either.

It depends on what the customer is doing with the wood. Most of my customers are not heating with the wood and it is only for atmosphere. These customers like wood that is easy to light and burns out before bedtime. They aren't concerned with heat value.

The ones who heat with wood usually do so in a wood stove. They aren't worried about starting the fire as they have coals left in the stove. They like somewhat greener wood than the other customers. They also like larger pieces because they last longer, and if its green it will still be there the next morning.

I have learned that a tree that has fallen and still has a root system will almost always be too wet too burn.

the oaks

[/This may sound stupid,but if you walk up to a pile of split oak and can smell it,it's not seasoned.Harbor Freight has a moisture meter on sale for $20.00.It's not the greatest but it will give you a good idea where you are at.
Ed

B-Edwards said:
Hello sir, most of the wood i will sell is 1 year old (split and stacked) I'm in NC mtns . Dont think I've lost a customer yet , they all seem very happy with the wood . I know what your saying ,grew up heating with wood. Dont think NC governs firewood like other states. Ah i did have 1 customer that didnt like wood i took him ( white oak layed on ground a year before i split it) that crap wouldnt burn for anything. I dont like to short change my customers and i wont if i realize it. I can look at a stick of wood and usualy tell if it will burn,(thats a split stick).But so far Repeat year after year. Maple, Birch, different Oaks, Sourwood, no Poplar or Pines.

B-edwards: thanks for the kind response. I am glad to hear you have your customers in mind with your business. All the best to you!

green wood????

that is probably one of the stupidest things i hear "burn green wood because it will be there in the morning" creating major cresote and chimney fires. also anyone that burns wood for heat knows that most of the energy is used up to "dry" that green wood as its being burnt, therfore losing most of its efficiency.

You're All Correct..and So Am I

OK, OK. You're all right on this one. "Smell oak, it's green"...give me a break here.
Here's what we do Downeast. Ours is a 100% wood fired place w two --count 'em: 2-- standing stoves for the two parts of the house.
Winter: fell trees, buck them to stove size ( 18"-20"), throw them in the trailer (old Subaru axle) pulled by the big red Foreman, cart to whatwillbeabigpile :givebeer: .
Late summer/early fall: split the bucks and stack in the woodshed for burning THIS winter. Total hardwood ~ 5-6 cords, to burn ~4 with reserve for non Gorebal Warming. :jester:
Since our woodlands are p___s poor, we have little red oak, live or standing dead. Mostly Red Maple and Paper Birch, with an odd Locust or Ash.
The too many Spruce and Fir blowdowns are used in the hot tub or workshop stove. Maybe a couple of cords.
So, this has been the routine for us and many others here for a long, long time. The couple of months that the split wood dries under cover works well for seasoning. The best seasoning for the butts is out in the open....For us.
Mileage may differ...........:chainsaw:

Around here we believe (right or wrong) that ANY firewood needs to be SPLIT, stacked and covered for a minimum of one summer. Stacked off the ground in a sunny windy spot. Some woods, two summers. This is even for logs that have been laying around whole. IMHO.

bvomark said:
The ones who heat with wood usually do so in a wood stove. They aren't worried about starting the fire as they have coals left in the stove. They like somewhat greener wood than the other customers.

:yoyo: :yoyo:

I just finished helping build an indoor firewood storage unit, inside a 60,000 SF penthouse (2 penthouses knocked together, 6 fireplaces, wood smoker BBQ,) It is an enclosed room, can fit 3 cords and storage for kindling, has fire detection systems and Halon supression. But the cats meow is the 4 foot wide industrial exhaust fan that draws heated air from the penthouse, across all the split wood, and the air is exhausted outdoors. As well there is a dehumidfier that drains to the lower patio. We trucked in 3 cords of wet, split wood, stacked it up. By that afternoon you could hear cracking noises as the wood dried. The dehumidfier drained out about 100 liters of water over the next few days.

gave me an idea for a warehouse firewood storage setup!.....:bowdown:

SRT-Tech said:
I just finished helping build an indoor firewood storage unit, inside a 60,000 SF penthouse (2 penthouses knocked together, 6 fireplaces, wood smoker BBQ,)

60,000 SF ???? Is this one residential unit or a series of units? The footprint of 60,000 SF would be 200' X 300'.

you heard right - ONE unit (2 penthouses on same level with all the inner walls removed, 45 foot ceilings. The resident owns a major online gambling site, and has 6 penthouses in vancouver alone. This particular penthouse is 60,000 SF and it is the SMALLER of the 6 that he owns. Some of the other ones have multiple FLOORs, where he bought 3 or four floors and did an open floor plan, with staircases going to each level.

I wont even start on the 6' x 4' plasma tvs on every wall in every room, including the bathrooms.

I'm cutting treetops in a woods that was logged 3 years ago. This stuff is all up off the ground and is wet inside. The stuff that is on the ground is rotting but anything up in the air is OK. Bark is starting too loosen but the wood is still solid but it is not anywhere near dry. Seasoned wood does not start to season until it is cut and split. It will dry some if just cut, stacked, and the rain is kept off but it doesn't really start to dry until it is split.
Finnbear

Back