second person in trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i gotta ask you guys something. when you are doing tree work, do you become a different person as opposed to when you dont do tree work? the reason i ask this is because when i do tree work, i get all hyper. and i get kind of pissed off. (i do only removals and pruning off structures) so i get like i want to kill anyone and everyone. i yell, and whatever if the guys arent doin what they should. i really do enjoy tree work though. its just that when i do it, something comes over me. and i become a little wierd. anybody else ever get this?

I dont think I could work for you. I almost never get hyper. My father in law gets on my nerves though, he worries about safety so much he runs all over and yells and tries to watch everything at once and really watches nothing. We just do this on the side and weekends so we can afford to take our time, do not have men on our clock, etc.

treeman82,I see you are alittle over 20years old,and you have your own company with employees.Alot of responsabilty will bring on personally changes,some good some not so good.At 41 years old I have been doing tree work and logging for 24 years and one thing that will help you is being able to trust the guys who are on the ground,they should know what you expect and do it.CLIMBING is a high risk job,this also could be part of the hyper traits.The job leaves little to no room for destractions,learn to trust the guys below and let them do ther job.If they aren't doing whay you feel they should be doing,take them aside AFTER you are done being in the tree and have had time to think.With age you will calm down and be a differnt person to work for and with.From most of your post here you seem to be headed in the right direction, just don't be in too big hurry to get there.:D Dan

a part of what i meant was that; i will look at a tree, and do a part of it. if its big, or whatever. and then get down, or just a part of a job will freak me out. and then i get like "OK ROBERT. LETS GET READY TO DIE." i mean i get into my saddle, my spurs, and right up to the tree, and its like i am not afraid, and i just want to get the job done fast, and without doing any damage. and i dont care if i die. i mean, there have been cuts before where i will be nervous about making them, but i just yell out when i make the cuts "I AM TARBASH!" and i become a whacko. the cut gets made, i go for a ride if i blow out the top, and all is well. its like i am a psychopath in the trees. i am careful. but its just like, i dont care. i get nervous sometimes, but i dont care, i know its gotta get done, and i do it. however i have chickened out of trees before, due to EXTREME rot. and that caused problems. 1 tree wound up going on a dog house. cause it was so rotten the part i was on would have broken right off with me on it. another one, i didnt touch. went up / tied in / walked out on the branch about 10 feet, if that and said no way! it was a branch about 6 - 8" and it went up over a house and lines. thing was really rotten, and at the part i was at it was shaking badly. and there was nowhere to tie the branches to that i trusted.

by the way. i am not even 20. not for another 10 months. june 1. i have been climbing now since i was 15. i think i have been doing the serious stuff now for about 1 1/2 years. (things over houses / septic / clearing / etc.)

Can't say I'm a different person, but I do get intense & probably less jovial:rolleyes: My tolerance for BS, horseplay, etc. vanishes when I'm ready to work the tree...I am not getting hurt or worse, or even damaging property because somebody wants to daydream about Britteny Spears. When the stems down, the climbers down, we can do a coffee break & BS until the next move. I warn clients off to avoid getting short with them. Some mean to be helpful, but I can't watch tem & do my job too. I about lost it once on the ground doing the cuts on downed limbs....some neighbor wanted by me on the driveway, had crept up on my ass while I was sawing away...never mind they had no idea what I might drop next, when I'd step back away from the wood. Ignored the Tree Work signs, etc. I was mainly pissed because of the fear that I could easily have flattened them with the mainstem. Made me more religious about haing a second person around even for ground work to watch & warn....or at least shoot the moron before they hit me :D

a few weeks ago i was up in a sugar maple bout 2' in diameter. right by a parking lot. went up into the tree, guy pulled into the lot with his car and left it there. well i started yelling, and cursing, and screaming because i couldnt work. it was obvious we were working there. i yelled to my guy to get this guy's car out of there. guy comes out. hassedic rabbi. i was feelin bad then. :(

Who he is is irrelevant, if he blew your cones he is wrong. If you had no barriers you were wrong (is that an OSHA inspector???). Your groundie should have been on it as soon as the door opened. Politely.

I was tipping a medium honey locust over into the street one day (not exactly legal) had cones and all.

My hepl is on the other side of the street on the pull line and this car comes through the cones and right under the rope. I was about 1/2 through the back-cut.

Somebodey calls this type "coneheads".

You guys must use the same cones I do- You can see them in the catalog, you can see them stacked on the chipper, but as soon as they hit the ground they become invisible :blob2: If you put them far enough apart to get a car through, some idiot will!

I've considered putting a steel fence post in shallow on each side of the road/street & then putting up a section of that orange plastic fencing you see on construction sites....won't stop anybody, but they can't say they did'nt see it...maybe:p

have you guys ever had the niehbors com up and start throwing stuff in your chipper! we constantly have to chase off old men with 2x4's !

I spoke to someone who had a a kid toss a cinder block into the running chipper (????) while no one was looking. He tried to get the kids parents to pay for repairs, but that did not fly far.

Once i turned around in a tree and saw my crew allowing the neighbor kids to help feed the chipper !!!!!!!! I 'bout blew a gasket.

Hheheh, I could see one of those whipper snappers not letting go of the branch.
I've had people walk right up to the chipper while I'm feeding it wanting to look in there to see where it goes. I use a drum so you know how much it slings stuff around, amazing??
A neighbor at a job we were doing came up behind my guy while he was chipping and suprised him, he almost got fed too!
On the same note, I was watching some tree hacks take down a oak in my neighborhood last week dropping a big limb into the street, the groundsman stopped a guy so they could drop it , as soon as he turned around to watch, the guy drove right through, friggin idiot! He saw me watching shaking my head as he drove by.

one time we had the police block and redirect traffic on oneof are busest streets so i could finish of a storm tree, he had cones out, his lights a going and the stop light blinking, he did a great job! but people would try and go right by him! he would walk right in front of their car and go off! it was kind of fun to watch!

Oh, those cones don't apply to MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! They are for all the OTHER stupid people that don't need to go through here!

:blob2: :blob2:

During my time in the USMC I heard a story about an Orficers wife who had to drive through a baracaded road. It goes through an impact zone. This was just in time for a short round to impact into the road near her car. She did not make it.

Another one on a more dissimilar note. A young lady tries to get to the head of an ATM line on base (when they first came out and there was only one). "My husband is a Captain so let me through!" A matrinly lady tugs on her sleve and sias, "Honey, my husband is the assistant base comandant. You can start at the end like anyone else."

Latest posts

Back