Sectioning logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just do raw volume in harvest. Nah, I just walk away from the log and at the end of the day peel of the rigging and walk away. It's colour by numbers really.
I know a bit about volume and weight.
Yeah, I have your volume at 346 bf at 21" average at 12 ft.
25% more at 16ft. About 520ish.
What was the real measurement of the butt and top..or average at 19ft?

You seem like you are twice the weight at 6500lb than I think it should be just off the top of my head?

We just do raw volume in harvest. Nah, I just walk away from the log and at the end of the day peel of the rigging and walk away. It's colour by numbers really.
I know a bit about volume and weight.
Yeah, I have your volume at 346 bf at 21" average at 12 ft.
25% more at 16ft. About 520ish.
What was the real measurement of the butt and top..or average at 19ft?

You seem like you are twice the weight at 6500lb than I think it should be just off the top of my head

34" on the stump, I did not measure the small end since it was the bottom of a fork with quite a bit of swell. Measured it at the thinnest place along the length. There is antree34inch.jpg app, maybe at Woodweb.com where you input the species, both end diameters and the length and it will spit out a weight. I assume it calculates the average volume of 2 cylinders multiplied by some average known density of a given species.

34" on the stump, I did not measure the small end since it was the bottom of a fork with quite a bit of swell. Measured it at the thinnest place along the length. There is anView attachment 803260 app, maybe at Woodweb.com where you input the species, both end diameters and the length and it will spit out a weight. I assume it calculates the average volume of 2 cylinders multiplied by some average known density of a given species.
Ok...I think I follow you now.
You did the right thing it sounds. Always keep what you deducted in the back of your mind in regards to swells and flair and tack it on in the end in regards to weight..But absolutely dont measured dia there. If it adds up to a few more square ft then add another 50-60 per square ft. (Not sure what it is for sure yet...that's fair ball park for now.)

^^^ Yeah that would be what the app is doing What do you mean "2 cylinders" though?

Your formula would be: convert cone to cylinder:
Add measurement from both ends and dividend by 2.
32+ 21 = 53
26.5 average.

Your radius is 13.250" x pi (3.1415)
Times the answer by radius again for area of a circle. (551.5cu in)
---
Now you want area of a cylinder:

Area of the circle times 12 =6,618.cu in
Times 19ft =125,748. Cu in
Divide by 144 = calculated
873 bf
Divide by 12 for cu ft:
72 cu ft
You have about 4,300 lb at 60lb per cu ft.
would assume it's less than 60? I will look it up in a minute. Most oaks are between 50 -60 and some as high as 65lb. Think that's 20% kilne dry though.
I thought that log would be about 2 cubic metres. 424bf or 35cu ft to a cu metre.

Ok...I think I follow you now.
You did the right thing it sounds. Always keep what you deducted in the back of your mind in regards to swells and flair and tack it on in the end in regards to weight..But absolutely dont measured dia there. If it adds up to a few more square ft then add another 50-60 per square ft. (Not sure what it is for sure yet...that's fair ball park for now.)

^^^ Yeah that would be what the app is doing What do you mean "2 cylinders" though?

Your formula would be: convert cone to cylinder:
Add measurement from both ends and dividend by 2.
32+ 21 = 53
26.5 average.

Your radius is 13.250" x pi (3.1415)
Times the answer by 13.250 ("times itself") for area of a circle. (551.5cu in)
---
Now you want area of a cylinder:
Times Area of the circle times 12 =6,618.cu in
Times 19ft =125,748. Cu in
Divide by 144 = calculated
873 bf
Divide by 12 for cu ft:
72 cu ft
You have about 4,300 lb at 60lb per cu ft.
would assume it's less than 60? I will look it up in a minute. Most oaks are between 50 -60 and some as high as 65lb. Think that's 20% Milne dry though.
I thought that log would be about 2 cubic metres. 424bf or 35cu ft to a cu metre.

I think you calculated the weight of the actual lumber instead of the log? I did the calc in feet and got an even higher number but I have been helping grandson with algebra for 2 hrs, brain is fried so will review my work in the morning. Here is what the app came up with. I think my original 6500# is what we drug up the hill before I cut the fork off of it. I think your 58#/ft^3 has to be pretty close, lot of water. upload_2020-3-3_18-34-38.png

I'm going to say this in tiny words, so your brain understands

Mills do not care about which end is bigger, the big end does not count

they will measure the small end, and use a chart to calculate BF from that

25" DIAMETER and 12' of log is 330 mbf, (in which case I stand corrected clicked on wrong scale...))

they don't care about taper, to them that is profit margins

In reality though it sounds like you have more like a 20-21" dia log

doyle-log-scale-wunderwoods1.jpg

25" DIAMETER and 12' of log is 330 mbf, (in which case I stand corrected clicked on wrong scale...))

My tiny brain understands just fine. If you go back to the original post you will see that I stated the minimum diameter of this log was 25-26" and every calculation has been based from that. Both ends of the log are bigger than that which is why I did not use them. I do not use need a chart to calculate Doyle bf. Minimum diameter -4" times itself gives bf for 16' log and then adjust for actual log length.

I'm coming up with 38lb for dry and
58 for green wood.

Westboastfaller- Looks to me like the app that I posted actually calculates the weight of a dry log. Cubic feet of a 25" x 19' cylinder is 128, of a 34" x 19' is 167, average assuming straight taper (which it isn't) is 147 ft^3 x 38 =~5,600#. 58# green density pushes total wt up to about 8,500# unless I have screwed up somewhere. Only reason I mess with this is to give me an idea of how much weight we can load the trailer with and get it down the road.

This is easy to settle. When you make the transaction, post the scale and grade ticket from the mill along with the check, sans payee.

This is easy to settle. When you make the transaction, post the scale and grade ticket from the mill along with the check, sans payee.

never gotten a scale or grade ticket, buyer measures logs and punches data into his handheld device and tells me what I am getting and then writes me a check. I plan on reporting the amount but we also have a 10' long white oak with a butt diameter of 42" to go on the same load. Used to have a grain scale about a mile away we could use but they went out of biz and turned the lights out I think.

Nothing you say adds up. There’s no way a legitimate log buyer doesn’t give paperwork along with a check. What the hell does a grain scale have to do with a log?

Nothing you say adds up. There’s no way a legitimate log buyer doesn’t give paperwork along with a check. What the hell does a grain scale have to do with a log?

Sold logs down there about 6 times with 2 other individuals and we have never gotten any paperwork other than a check. They have been in business for about 40 years. Grain scale reference was about checking load weight on the trailer.

Sold logs down there about 6 times with 2 other individuals and we have never gotten any paperwork other than a check. They have been in business for about 40 years. Grain scale reference was about checking load weight on the trailer.

With all that experience why are you here asking questions that any 2nd day employee would know the answers to?

Ok boys, let’s just wait for Woody to post the dollars and bd ft
Bought the middle 12' section of the log for $6 a board foot, total of $1,458. His inside bark calculation was a little smaller than mine but the $$ looked good. Spent about 15 minutes going over the log with a fine tooth comb, had some concerns about bird peck but everyone was smiling when we pulled out of the yard

Back