Seeking advice - cutting through hard-to-roll logs on the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do what @svk does. Cut each round almost all the way through all the way along the log while the chain is sharp. Then nibble through very gently in about 4 round sections (or whatever I reckon I'll be able to roll with the log jack), roll then finish them off. I figure I'll be resharpening anyway so I don't mind so much if I touch a little dirt at the end of the process. If there's a big fork that I won't be able to roll, save those bits for last. Noodling in place might be an option if you have already done the cross cuts and then you might be able to split the bulk of the weight from the fork and you might be able to manhandle it then.

How will you handle the rounds once cut?

I split them with a maul into sections weighing no more than 60 or 70 pounds. Then use a pair of pickaroons to tote two pieces at a time 30 yards up to a forest road. On the forest road I split them into firewood and load them in my pick up truck.

Got this job done today. Unfortunately still got my chain into the dirt. I guess I didn’t dig underneath it enough, jack it up enough with big wood wedges, and didn’t have the needed finesse with the last little bit of cutting. Good experience though.

I do what @svk does. Cut each round almost all the way through all the way along the log while the chain is sharp. Then nibble through very gently in about 4 round sections (or whatever I reckon I'll be able to roll with the log jack), roll then finish them off. I figure I'll be resharpening anyway so I don't mind so much if I touch a little dirt at the end of the process. If there's a big fork that I won't be able to roll, save those bits for last. Noodling in place might be an option if you have already done the cross cuts and then you might be able to split the bulk of the weight from the fork and you might be able to manhandle it then.

I have found if the dirt is wet and you touch the wet dirt a little bit it doesn't dull the chain as much as it does dry dirt.. Not sure why that is but it does work better then hitting dry dirt. I sometimes use a block and a long 4x4 to wedge under the log and pry it up just enough to stay out of he dirt. Lost of ways to keep the chain out of the dirt depending on the situation. Lost of good ideas mentioned here so far. Try a few and see what works best for you.I keep an old bar/chain on an extra saw just for making that last dirty cut and I get at least a few more cuts out of them before I trash them.

Not mine but looks like it would work pretty good, at least to get it off the ground and put something under it so it can be bucked without hitting the dirt68120415-3593-4481-8C95-D5362835C27C.png
Also might work to rip cut the log like you would for milling as close to ground as you can then cross cut down to that. Then maybe the slab that’s left on the ground would be light enough to lift/pry up onto something so it can be cut up without hitting the ground?
Then you’d have an excuse to by a bigger saw for the rip cut ;)

Not mine but looks like it would work pretty good, at least to get it off the ground and put something under it so it can be bucked without hitting the dirtView attachment 820414
Also might work to rip cut the log like you would for milling as close to ground as you can then cross cut down to that. Then maybe the slab that’s left on the ground would be light enough to lift/pry up onto something so it can be cut up without hitting the ground?
Ah, the good old high lift. Reminds me of an undependable woman. Lol.

Got this log sawed to within about an inch of the soil, and never encountered a bridge over a low spot to cut through. My hilltop soil is very rocky, rocks too big to move. So, I'll need to go back to the shed for a shovel to dig a tunnel under one of the cuts to finish it through, then Cant roll it over to finish.

IMG_7486.jpg

Here is an end of this log that I cut through the last inch or two with a dull chain. Didn't hit a rock, didn't sharpen the chain though either. You can see when it laid itself down, it kind of created it's own trough to lay in:
IMG_7487.jpg

In the mean time, Scout and I are getting in a quick hike before the storms. Foxes and turkeys are everywhere back hear, and when Scout gets a strong scent, his hearing goes bad - hence the long leash.

You can do 4 plunge/bore cuts 2x vertical and 2 x Horizontal through the middle of the log and push out a square section leaving a square hole.
Find a strong long branch that will fit through the hole and use that to lever the log around.
If you are lucky and find a good length it makes life easy using a 12-15ft lever to turn the log, as you do this the log may break, which is even better as it makes the rest of the turn lighter.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. I am dealing with another large log in the shape of a Y that has been laying on the ground for a year and has settled into the earth. This time what I did is mount log tongs on a highlift jack. Easily raised one arm of a 18” dia 20’ Y a few inches and slid a few pieces of scrap 4 x 4 underneath, then lowered it back down. Now It is off the ground supported at multiple points, ready for easy bucking tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. I am dealing with another large log in the shape of a Y that has been laying on the ground for a year and has settled into the earth. This time what I did is mount log tongs on a highlift jack. Easily raised one arm of a 18” dia 20’ Y a few inches and slid a few pieces of scrap 4 x 4 underneath, then lowered it back down. Now It is off the ground supported at multiple points, ready for easy bucking tomorrow.

That process will work. There are numerous ways to deal with this issue. I take limbs similar to a six by six and cut them into wedges and drive them under a log to lift it slightly. Also a small six ton bottle jack will work too. Thanks

Not mine but looks like it would work pretty good, at least to get it off the ground and put something under it so it can be bucked without hitting the dirtView attachment 820414

that looks like a fine way to kill one’s self. Handy lookin’ tho..

Got this log sawed to within about an inch of the soil, and never encountered a bridge over a low spot to cut through. My hilltop soil is very rocky, rocks too big to move. So, I'll need to go back to the shed for a shovel to dig a tunnel under one of the cuts to finish it through, then Cant roll it over to finish.

View attachment 820623

Here is an end of this log that I cut through the last inch or two with a dull chain. Didn't hit a rock, didn't sharpen the chain though either. You can see when it laid itself down, it kind of created it's own trough to lay in:
View attachment 820672

In the mean time, Scout and I are getting in a quick hike before the storms. Foxes and turkeys are everywhere back hear, and when Scout gets a strong scent, his hearing goes bad - hence the long leash.

you sure that dog’s name isn’t “Dutch”?

Latest posts

Back