Seeking advice for pollarded eucalyptus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are street trees so I will not be felling one to dissect any time soon but I am curious as to exactly what that wood will look like from the inside.

The L.confertus pictured are topped every 2-3 years, have no root protection and get parked on regularly. Add that to having poor soil to grow in and less rainfall than they are used to and it is no surpise they go a little weird I guess. Should have picked lignotuber straight away though. :blush:

Words get so confusing

These are street trees so I will not be felling one to dissect any time soon but I am curious as to exactly what that wood will look like from the inside.

The L.confertus pictured are topped every 2-3 years, have no root protection and get parked on regularly. Add that to having poor soil to grow in and less rainfall than they are used to and it is no surprise they go a little weird I guess. Should have picked lignotuber straight away though. :blush:

Without having dug one up the word "caudex" comes to mind (because it is occurring in part above ground and may or may not be occurring in the roots). I am not sure that there is a significant difference between this and a lignotuber. Perhaps others can elucidate!

Same thing

I think in this case you are right. I know that the Caudex can occur in different places so those that involve roots and root flairs are probably the same as lignotubers. If I understand correctly they usually have lots of buds there which is not always true of caudiciform plants.

Found this great picture when I did a search for "burl lignotuber". Looks like these things may make a monkey out of me yet.:monkey:

Not quite the same

From what I read a lignotuber always has adventitious buds. A caudex is a modified (swollen) stem that extends somewhat above and somewhat below ground but consists of undifferentiated cells. A carrot is caudicform and though it can re-sprout it can only do so from the top where there are differentiated cells capable of becoming stem/leaf/apical tip. A lignotuber on the other hand can sprout from any bud anywhere on it's surface.

In the case of OOMT's C. ficifolia it is definitely a lignotuber because in the second picture you can see a sprout coming off it. Can't say definitively for the L. confertus without a closer inspection.

Thanks to all for raising the question. :cheers:

From what I read a lignotuber always has adventitious buds. A caudex is a modified (swollen) stem that extends somewhat above and somewhat below ground but consists of undifferentiated cells. A carrot is caudicform and though it can re-sprout it can only do so from the top where there are differentiated cells capable of becoming stem/leaf/apical tip. A lignotuber on the other hand can sprout from any bud anywhere on it's surface.

In the case of OOMT's C. ficifolia it is definitely a lignotuber because in the second picture you can see a sprout coming off it. Can't say definitively for the L. confertus without a closer inspection.

Thanks to all for raising the question. :cheers:

Lol. That was a leaf and stem I laid on the base to give scale for the photograph. It does kinda look like its sprouting though!

ROFL! No fair!! I reckon it's still a safe bet though being a Corymbia (the genus not the person).

Latest posts

Back