Seeking chain recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBWilson

Reaction score
I'm just getting into milling and have read a great deal of information on this site. Excellent stuff that will steer me clear of a bunch of potential pitfalls. I'm looking for advice and recommendations for milling chains.

I've got an Echo CS-7310P saw (73.5cc, 28" bar and a longer 36" bar for milling wider stuff). I'm waiting for my Granberg milling chains to arrive in the mail, but wondered about other chain choices.

My Echo dealer said that the 36" bar is a bit long for the saw (Echo recommends a 32" bar max) but reported from Echo that if I were to use the 36" bar, they recommend I use a skip-tooth chain. I believe that the Granberg chain with the scoring cutters should tax the saw less than a full comp setup and have read the same reports. I can source skip-tooth chain (Oregon 73EJX) but it isn't ground for ripping. I understand that it might leave a bit rougher surface (no big deal) and I can file it at a different angle over time. Nobody seems to make a skip-tooth chain with a 10 degree cutter.

Does anyone have thoughts as to which chain will be better in the long haul? Granberg Ripping or Oregon Skip-Tooth? Are there other chains that you would recommend? (Full chisel, semi-chisel, something else?) I'm not looking to set speed records and I'll be sawing a mix of northeastern hardwoods (cherry, walnut, red maple, ash, locust...).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Full skip will be your friend. Not poking fun, or being an arse, but your saw is a good bit light in the pants for what your asking of it. Milling is the most demanding application you can do with a chain saw. I personally think you'll be ok with the 28" the 36" you'll be working the dog out of the saw, even with full skip.
In the chain side of things, I mill with normal full comp, and full skip, the full skip is nice to sharpen, but deffinatly dulls out faster. I dont mill often enough to justify the dedicated milling chain, but have heard favorable meantions of the granberg chains. You may also want to look into a secondary oiler for your set up. Doesnt have to be anything fancy, just a bottle with a valve and hose strapped to the mill jig, dripping oil on the chain as it goes past near the tip of the bar.

I second Sean's comments.
My experience with skip tooth vs Granberg is that they load the saw comparably but the finish with Granberg is better.
Did you mean Oregon 73Exj? If so that is full chisel so will cut a bit faster at the expense of finish.
Personally I'd stick with the Granberg

Thank for replying. I appreciate the perspective and experience you have.

I knew that the Echo is on the lower side when it comes to milling power, but I'm careful with my tools and I'll keep an eye on overworking it. Budget had a lot to do with it and it was either get this saw (which will be used for a bunch of uses other than just milling: trimming bowl blanks, firewood, work on the property) or not mill at all.

I did indeed mean the 73 Exj full skip chain. I've got a planer and a router planing setup so even if the a bit rougher, I'll be able to work it smooth. I'll order the skip chain and see which works best. I'll also rig up a secondary oiler. Lots of good and easy to fabricate ideas out there for that.

Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated.

I can appreciate the budget aspect. Took me years till I found the 394xp, blown up but all there. I gave $100.00 for the torn apart carcass, sank another $250.00 ish into parts to make it run. It's used for felling and bucking the occasional large tree,(and normally I'll use the 390xp for that) but does indeed mainly sit for milling. Its heavy and snotty, but not nimble if you know what I mean. Hench why I got the 390xp to fill my "big saw" role. This has been a life long process for me to get that saws I wanted for different tasks I had at hand.
I am glad to hear you are aware of its limitations. I just dont want to see you come back in six months with a burned up saw. I would suggest you fatten the high needle up a bit, will help with cooling and even a modest muffler mod will give it a nudge for the better as well. Make sure you let it idle after a long cut, so it can cool back down. Best of luck my friend. Let us know how you fare with your new hobby.

Again, Sean is spot on... only thing I would add to that is run a bit more oil.
I run all my general saws on quality synthetic 2 stroke at 40:1 & my milling saw at 32:1. The mix affects the tune so you want to tune the saw for the mix you intend to run. Aim for about 300RPM less than max if you have a tach... usually that's about 1/8 turn further out on the H side but. Unless it's been tuned already your Echo will likely want a bit more as they tend to be pretty lean out of the box

Back