selecting 60cc saw for industrial use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Berndt

Reaction score
I am in charge of maintaining a fleet of saws for the pileworkers at the port of SF. These saws are used hard and put away wet. It is my goal to select the best saw from a durability and maintenance perspective.We normally purchase ten or so saws a year.
The saws we are using so far are as follows, husky 359, husky 455, husky 555, and stihl ms 271.
I was hoping for some guidance to streamline the fleet and have a saw platform that will have some longevity. Thanks in advance for your consideration and thoughts.

CS590...simple solid saw, no electronic carbs or any of that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

While I haven't used the Husky 455, I've used a 460 at work and have a Husky 555 as one of my personal saws. Both are 60cc's. For a farm/ranch saw, the 460 has held up for us well. We aren't loggers. We use the saws once or twice a week through the cooler months, maybe 7-8 months out of the year and as needed in the summer (i.e. - not unless we have to).

That said, no question in my mind, the 555 is a bit lighter and performs better, IMO, than the 460. Guess that's why it costs more. It's basically a lesser version of their pro-grade 562, but cheaper. I hear good things about the 562, but the 555 is damn near a good for less $. Auto tune is nice if different guys are using the saw and not everyone is a mathematical genius when it comes to mixing fuel/oil. Have a coworker who uses as Stihl 271, but I think it's a 50cc saw. Never used an Echo 590 that Red-85 recommends, but lots of guys here like them.

Do you have any hydraulic saws? Like for under water use.

Those are all except the Stihl are outboard clutch can't recall about the Echo though. Inboard clutch and rim drive would be something I would consider a positive.

I assume you mean chainsaws don't you have chop or demo saws as well?

CC's really don't mean squat what size bar and chain are you using on these saws and how and how many hours a week are they doing this will dictate your purchase.

I am in charge of maintaining a fleet of saws for the pileworkers at the port of SF. These saws are used hard and put away wet. It is my goal to select the best saw from a durability and maintenance perspective.We normally purchase ten or so saws a year.
The saws we are using so far are as follows, husky 359, husky 455, husky 555, and stihl ms 271.
I was hoping for some guidance to streamline the fleet and have a saw platform that will have some longevity. Thanks in advance for your consideration and thoughts.

I, too, work for an agency which owns a lot of different saws. The thing I would really like, before thinking about what the next saw should be, is some data on how the previous saws held up.

I am just talking about a list of saws owned by the agency: model, purchase date, date removed from service, and a quick/simple reason-for-removal.

The people I work for are, probably, never going to get around to doing this data tabulation. Maybe you could start such a program?

The right saw for you depends on how your saws die. Are your guys straight gassing them? Dropping them off the dock into 50' of salt water? Leaning them out with those little-orange-screwdrivers? Or, what?

Roy

I would go for the higher HP Echo 60cc.. I believe it is the 620P. I had the Shindaiwa model and it was super smooth and easy starting with plenty of torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably for the best price and no auto-tune the Echo CS590 around 60cc is the best bang for the buck. For the auto-tune pro grade saws it is Stihl MS362 or Husqvarna 562xp unless you want a mid-grade homeowners saw a Stihl MS291 or Husqvarna 460.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-590-Timber-Wolf
Hard to beat a Husqvarna 562 these days:
1603929542012.jpeg
That's pin oak and the saw never bogged down with a 24" bar. The owner is my good friend and allowed me to cut with it. I really like this saw. BTW, the stump was on my left.

I can see the 461, but the 661 and 500i are another class of saw, and outside his parameters of search.
Well my boss has run saw since 1970 something he is 63. He bought a 500i and after running it two weeks he said why would you buy anything els. We have a 362 461 441 066 660. We showed it to a guy he picked it up was shocked at the weight. Fired it up and blipped the throttle twice shut it down and said he was gonna but one lol

Well my boss has run saw since 1970 something he is 63. He bought a 500i and after running it two weeks he said why would you buy anything els. We have a 362 461 441 066 660. We showed it to a guy he picked it up was shocked at the weight. Fired it up and blipped the throttle twice shut it down and said he was gonna but one lol
Well that is hardly an educated recommendation and as for somebody just picking up a saw and blipping the throttle twice and then deciding to buy one I don't know what to say to that that's not derogatory so I won't

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one. But yours is covered in ****

I mean, I hear that you don't like his opinion, but the OP asked for a 60cc saw. You're advocating he buy the most expensive 80cc saw there is. I think the 590 makes great sense for a fleet. Inexpensive, reliable as a brick, parts are available online. Heck, how many 590s can you buy for the price of a 500i? Three? Four?

Back