selecting 60cc saw for industrial use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, I hear that you don't like his opinion, but the OP asked for a 60cc saw. You're advocating he buy the most expensive 80cc saw there is. I think the 590 makes great sense for a fleet. Inexpensive, reliable as a brick, parts are available online. Heck, how many 590s can you buy for the price of a 500i? Three? Four?
Retail is like 1400 to 1500 and you are permanently tethered to your dealer for the life of the saw.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I mean, I hear that you don't like his opinion, but the OP asked for a 60cc saw. You're advocating he buy the most expensive 80cc saw there is. I think the 590 makes great sense for a fleet. Inexpensive, reliable as a brick, parts are available online. Heck, how many 590s can you buy for the price of a 500i? Three? Four?
Fair enough but he never said price was an issue. If it’s industrial use and durability I would say either ms 391 or 362 if price is a concern. But honestly the 461 or 462 is not much heavier than a 362 and has more torque. The 500i is just as light as 362 but cuts like a 660. My dad worked for a place that did treated poles and all they bought was stihl. I’m not saying husqvarna is bad but stihl is more durable in my **** covered opinion

I’d highly consider anything Autotune from Stihl or Husky. The reliability is there now.

I know they are pricey and are 70cc, but the Stihl 462 is a winner all around. Really no bigger than a 620 echo, which is huge for a 60cc saw like the 362 is.

The reason for my suggestion is the bullet proofness of the saws. The AT protects the saw from user abuse, it’s always in tune and pretty much always starts. Most of the misuses that cause failure are eliminated on the saws. I still believe that reduction in warranty issues is a big part of why the industry went this way, not just the epa. Another plus is that fuel consumption will be way down. The savings in fuel costs (and productivity from not stopping to fuel) may add up to make up the price difference in short order.

If doing the same thing I'd go with the Echo CS-620P or PW if you like/want the full wrap handle.

They are more expensive than the CS-590 but the price is offset by having a much better bar on them, plus a removable drive sprocket on the clutch, and more power. The design of the CS-590, 600P and 620P is excellent. They are extremely easy to work on, excellent anti-vibe, and never clog up for any reason even "noodling". My CS-590 was used to cross-cut up the rounds from the huge Maple and Beech in the pictures to make them more manageable to the splitter, it never grumbled once........
Maple1.JPGIMG_1177.jpg

Fair enough but he never said price was an issue. If it’s industrial use and durability I would say either ms 391 or 362 if price is a concern. But honestly the 461 or 462 is not much heavier than a 362 and has more torque. The 500i is just as light as 362 but cuts like a 660. My dad worked for a place that did treated poles and all they bought was stihl. I’m not saying husqvarna is bad but stihl is more durable in my **** covered opinion
Well here's my shite opinion on that, we had all stihl equipment at work. Between the crummy dealer and the issues we had with the smaller stuff, the company decided to move to husqy for saws and echo for trimmers/blowers/hedge trimmers and the like. I have a mixed fleet at home and havent found any particular saw to be so much better then the other I'd go straight up to one brand. I too think the 500i can be a wonderful saw, but again at 79cc and using the adage "it's not that much bigger, just in price, and possible maintenance cost" doesnt justify the sale. I can honestly see the jump between the 362 and 462, but that's where it stops. And from what he currently runs the 362 could complement his line up. But to be honest a husqy 562 runs just as good if not better then a stihl 362 and (last I looked) was slightly cheaper in the same trim then the 362. Either of which you could buy 2 of for one 500i. Just idnt a good comparison to include a 462 or 500i. Different league of saws.

@Bill Berndt
are you taking these saws back for dealer maintenance and or warranty repair? while I favor Husqvarna personally I would say having a good stocking dealer would be a major factor if it were my decision, if the echo dealer is the best, maybe that is as big a factor as anything else.

Well here's my shite opinion on that, we had all stihl equipment at work. Between the crummy dealer and the issues we had with the smaller stuff, the company decided to move to husqy for saws and echo for trimmers/blowers/hedge trimmers and the like. I have a mixed fleet at home and havent found any particular saw to be so much better then the other I'd go straight up to one brand. I too think the 500i can be a wonderful saw, but again at 79cc and using the adage "it's not that much bigger, just in price, and possible maintenance cost" doesnt justify the sale. I can honestly see the jump between the 362 and 462, but that's where it stops. And from what he currently runs the 362 could complement his line up. But to be honest a husqy 562 runs just as good if not better then a stihl 362 and (last I looked) was slightly cheaper in the same trim then the 362. Either of which you could buy 2 of for one 500i. Just idnt a good comparison to include a 462 or 500i. Different league of saws.

Latest posts

Back