Self sharpening chain????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
I was a late arrival at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago and found this hanging on a hook in the basement. Gave $1.00 for it, is this some type of self sharpening chain? By the time I got there any chain saws were long since gone so who knows what it was on.

OC-96009.jpg

OC-96010.jpg

Self sharpening chain

It looks like the chain on my Dads Sears/Poulan from the mid seventies.There was a sharpening stone built into to the clutch cover, that you used by moving a small lever.A piece of junk in my humble opinion.

Runners;Stihls,MS180,MS 200T,2 x 032's,MS 361 Pro,048AV.
Husky,340
Dolmar PS 7300
Echo,2 X CS302's,3450.

powersharp chain

oregon is using this chain again.. it comes in 2 popular bar mounts. i have got to see this chain work first hand and it is actually very impressive.. we had a guy run this chain at a wood cutting get together on a 420 dolmar. there were two other 420 dolmars there. one with 3/8 low pro chain and one with .325. the powersharp chain was the fastest. it does work well for a home owner or in construction/demolition..

oregon is using this chain again.. it comes in 2 popular bar mounts. i have got to see this chain work first hand and it is actually very impressive.. we had a guy run this chain at a wood cutting get together on a 420 dolmar. there were two other 420 dolmars there. one with 3/8 low pro chain and one with .325. the powersharp chain was the fastest. it does work well for a home owner or in construction/demolition..

I've heard the new version is better. There's a thread on here about it somewhere.

Ran this cutter style (S-80) on my first saw bought new (Lombard 500) in 1967. Very fast in hardwoods - faster than S-70. 404 pitch. Saw had the stone in the cover, but using the Oregon filing fixture (bar clamped) to hand file the cutters, produced a faster edge than the stone. Stihl use the saw, but with LGX. Just my experience.

Back