sell oak tree sections

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not entirely sure where to post this but I have some large sections of oak that people keep telling me I could probably sell to a mill but noone has actually told me what if anything I could get for it or who to talk with. Sections are roughly 25-30" wide in 5-6' sections. We had to cut it up to get it off of my driveway. Believe it's red oak. I'm located in King George, VA area. Is it worth trying to call some local places at all or don't bother since it's only a single tree and cut down a little? I'm cutting the rest of the stuff up for firewood. If it is worth it I have another tree we were planning on bringing down that's slightly smaller that could yield some real long sections. Really not sure how the process works or if it really would be someone coming in to log a section of my property instead.

You would have a hard time finding anyone to offer much of anything for it as lumber. As you mentioned, it’s just one tree, plus it’s been cut short and being a yard tree, the likelihood of metal being embedded is too high.

After reading an article that's what I kind've figured. I think the people telling me this stuff are going off of urban legends of costs. I was planning on just cutting up for firewood and people freaked out... If I had a mill it'd be cool to cut some stuff up but I have no idea what I'd use it for and well I don't have a milling rig or the saw to do it with!

After reading an article that's what I kind've figured. I think the people telling me this stuff are going off of urban legends of costs. I was planning on just cutting up for firewood and people freaked out... If I had a mill it'd be cool to cut some stuff up but I have no idea what I'd use it for and well I don't have a milling rig or the saw to do it with!

You should have looked into selling it before cutting.

Length is a major factor in value.

It's all firewood now.

Didn't really think about it and we needed it if my driveway. We had the tree quoted by a tree removal company @$1800 plus $400 to trim another tree. We looked at it and see made the call that we could drop it ourselves for the cost of cooking some burgers and hot dogs on the grill. We dropped this plus 3 others in 1 day.

Not really. I do need to rebuild our shed which I'm making into our new barn. But I can't see using oak for that... Would be cool though
I like the look of my woodshed with the ed oak on it. I just had concrete poured in the wood bays and for the approach, I also finished all the nailers to put up the red oak boards on the other side, just waiting for the mosquitoes to die down a bit. We got a little wood inside it for this winter, can't wait to pile it in there.
The red oak isn't my first choice for the job, black locust and then white oak would be, but I had red oak so red oak it is :).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.18.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.18.20 PM.png
    894.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.18.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.18.52 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.22.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.22.05 PM.png
    741.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.21.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.21.27 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
Not entirely sure where to post this but I have some large sections of oak that people keep telling me I could probably sell to a mill but noone has actually told me what if anything I could get for it or who to talk with. Sections are roughly 25-30" wide in 5-6' sections. We had to cut it up to get it off of my driveway. Believe it's red oak. I'm located in King George, VA area. Is it worth trying to call some local places at all or don't bother since it's only a single tree and cut down a little? I'm cutting the rest of the stuff up for firewood. If it is worth it I have another tree we were planning on bringing down that's slightly smaller that could yield some real long sections. Really not sure how the process works or if it really would be someone coming in to log a section of my property instead.
No mill would probably want if if it was a yard tree for fear of metal embedment and damage to their expensive equipment.
If you plan to make firewood it will take 2-4 years of sitting (seasoning ) before it's ready to burn. That's how Oak is.
I'd mill it up myself if I want the wood to use for building with. Lots of potable band saw mills will come do it on the spot.
You'd still need to sticker and season the planks/pieces for a year or two before making stuff from it.

Latest posts

Back