Selling Black Walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some prices I scanned in a local lumber circular. For "select and better grade" walnut, 1"x4"x4' $13.99, 1"x4"x6' $20.99, 1"x6"x4' $20.99, 1"x6"x6' $30.99. Those prices average about $10.50 per board foot. Walnut veneer plywood (4'x8'), 1/4" "one side sanded B-4 grade" $49.99, 3/4" "two sides sanded A-1 grade" $119.

Ykes-a-hootie! Gearhead!

We both live in lower Michigan and you've found someone trying to sell 1"x6"x6' walnut for $30.99? I'm not doubting you...or trying to call you out...I just want to know where I can sell my walnut for that much. Really! I've got more than 700 bf sitting my garage and have been ready to let it go for peanuts. None of it is shorter than 8'. Some of it is select or better. I need to know what circulars you're reading!

Please do not take this as I'm trying to insult anyones intelligence but do you guys know how to properly call a board "Sel & Btr" in regards to Walnut?

Ykes-a-hootie! Gearhead!

We both live in lower Michigan and you've found someone trying to sell 1"x6"x6' walnut for $30.99? I'm not doubting you...or trying to call you out...I just want to know where I can sell my walnut for that much. Really! I've got more than 700 bf sitting my garage and have been ready to let it go for peanuts. None of it is shorter than 8'. Some of it is select or better. I need to know what circulars you're reading!

Is yours S4S and kiln dried?

Woody, fortunately for the seller and unfortunately for the buyer I do know what select and better is for walnut. It aint much either. The rules for cherry are even worse. I'll double check my grading book tomorrow though, but if I'm not mistaken the wood doesn't have to be great to make select & better.

twoodward15 - Cherry and Walnut differ....6-7' Walnut you defect grade and 8' longer you are using the cutting unit method.

Cherry is standard except 1/8" pin knots are addmitted along with Gum streaks and spots.

Hi Rob, the circular that I quoted prices from is Menard's. As Husky137 was implying ( I think) is that it is S4S kiln dried lumber.

Lumberinspector, I use the quotation marks intentionally around the phrase "select and better", because that's how it was labeled in their newspaper circular advertisement. So what I'm trying to say is that I am relying on their judgement as to what select and better actually is. Being as they are a well known building materials retailer in several states in the upper Midwest, I hope their label is honest and accurate.

I am as in much in awe of these prices as many of you seem to be, but the fact that those are in fact the current retail value is something I cannot argue with.

"current retail value" at Menards, not your local lumber yard. THeir prices will be considerable less. That fact remains that people will go to menards and buy it though....... at any price.

Ykes-a-hootie! Gearhead!

As far as I know, those prices aren't too far off the mark. The way I calculate it, IF that board is actually a 4/4 by 6" (and not 3/4 by 5 1/2), you're looking at a price of 10.33 a bf. Chances are it's kiln (steam!) dried S4S. (Watch that steam-dried stuff...pay attention to the sapwood.)

Last time I was in a lumberyard, kiln-dried walnut, rough-sawn, was 8.50/bf. BORGs tend to be high on lumber prices, so that's probably in the ballpark.

It's all 4/4 rough sawn. Kiln dried...NOT steamed. In mid-Michigan, our local hardwood monger is asking $5.93 for select and better (steamed). No. 2 common is priced at $3.16/bf.

Since I'm not a retailer, I don't expect to get retail prices...for what I sell. As I've said in previous posts, I'd be happy to come out even with some lumber left over for my own use...assuming I sell any of it.

Woody: You're right about throwing out terms without knowing what we're talking about. I have to admit that I haven't had any of this looked at by a professional. I guess I should say that I believe it to be select or better...based what I've read and observed over the years I've been a woodworker. I haven't had time to sort the pile...but what I have looked at has straight, tight grain, no knots, pin knots, bird pecks or sap wood.

Grain pattern doesn't affect grade unless it is specified in the PO. Obviously the clearer the board the better off you are but you can still have knots, wane etc. and still have a FAS or Sel & BTR board.

Sapwood also really only matters to the end user. I have put together orders for Walnut where the customer states in the PO "4/4 Green FAS NO SAP"

A guy can really lose their hind end :buttkick: if they don't know what they are selling as stated in previous post.

The lumber can be kiln dried but if it isn't stored properly it will gain moisture.

extra cellular moisture.....Any time you kiln dry wood and remove it from the kiln it will start gaining moisture immediately. If the moisture level outside was the same as it is in the kiln then there would be no need to kiln dry anything except to speed the sale of said lumber.

Not sure on the exact numbers at the present time but in order to hold lumber @ say 6% MC, you have to store it in a heated building so much above the outside temp in the winter and in air conditioned during the summer other wise it will gain moisture until it reaches the EMC.

Black Walnut

I Know A Man That Just Had His 200 Acr Woods Logged . The Only Wood That Was Logged Was Walnut(not Sure What Kind) And Wood For Papper Pulp(something Like That)
I Know That I Counted 30 Truck Loads Come Out Of That Place And I`m Sure That I Missed 30 More Loads Easily. If Walnut Wasen`t Worth Anything , Then Why Did They Take Only Walnut And That Wood For Pulp Papper.
Well I`ve Been Trying To Get In There To Cut Up The Tops And Downed Trees For Fire Wood,

I don't recall anyone saying it isn't worth anything. All wood is worth something to someone. He had a lot of walnut and that is the key. No logging company is going to come in and take 3 walnut trees off your property and nothing else and pay top dollar for it. That is what this entire post boils down to.

Your right to say that no logging company will come in and buy 3 standing Walnut....or 3 of any species for that matter but if a guy has them cut down and bucked up they will. They may not send a truck after them but they will tell you to bring them to the mill and they will buy them.

I guess that has been my experience.

As I've said Walnut is HOT :blob2: The foreign veneer market has drove the price of Walnut logs sky high. All they want are three clear sides. From what I've seen a guy is getting 3rd cut and up sawlogs...small diameter etc.

twoodward15 - Depends if it is dry or not. If it is dry lumber and your getting FAS/F1F than I would buy it if you have a use for it. If it is wet than $3 is pushing it.

walnut trees

I know the Walnut may not be worth much, but someone may enjoy it more than my stove will. Even a barter will do..

Roxborotom

Roxborotom: Where are you in SE PA? I might be interested in a barter/trade deal. I would need to see some pics, though.:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Back