Selling carvings on Facebook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am behind the times but as of late I have been cruising the marketplace on Facebook mostly looking for chainsaw projects.

In addition to the chainsaws there are many people in our region of Illinois selling chainsaw carvings, milled slabs ect. ect.

I was wondering if Facebook may or may not be a good place to try and sell carvings , benches and other misc. wood stuff?? Has anyone tried it and what results came from it ????

I took a year off from carving but the bug is biting again and wonderings if Facebook is any better than the farmer markets and flea markets to try and sell carvings.

I did REAL good on FB Marketplace last year. I never had much luck on marketplace posting individual carvings, but at one point last summer I posted a shot of my entire inventory of approximately 25 of my larger carvings and that really triggered a flood of local customers and I unloaded everything I had in a matter of 4 days pocketing 1000'$$$
I'd also recommend starting a FB business page that you can direct past and potential future customers to, and keep it as active as possible with WIP's and finished project pics and updates.. Invite all your FB friends and encourage them to share your page and invite their friends as well. I did just that maybe 1 1/2 years ago, and have already gotten to the point I can't keep up with all the orders and have to turn some work down now.

Something else that really launched interest and business for my page was donating a piece to a local animal rescue facility last year for a fundraiser raffle. An organization like that which already has 1000's of followers of their own can really help draw attention and interest to your pages work, ultimately boosting your client reach potential, and target a specific group of customers if you're into any specific kind of audience to gear your carves towards.
So yes, I'd say FB can be a VERY productive way to sell your carves and make a decent profit in the process. If carving is just a hobby you do for your own enjoyment and relaxation and to make a few bucks on the side, you may find that all changes when the orders and cash start rolling in. Once that happens you wont have much time to carve the things you enjoy carving the most, as you'll be stuck carving what others want, and when they want it, even when you don't feel like it.
Feel free to check out my page if your interested in seeing how I kinda handle things here. https://www.facebook.com/Woolygoats/

I did REAL good on FB Marketplace last year. I never had much luck on marketplace posting individual carvings, but at one point last summer I posted a shot of my entire inventory of approximately 25 of my larger carvings and that really triggered a flood of local customers and I unloaded everything I had in a matter of 4 days pocketing 1000'$$$
I'd also recommend starting a FB business page that you can direct past and potential future customers to, and keep it as active as possible with WIP's and finished project pics and updates.. Invite all your FB friends and encourage them to share your page and invite their friends as well. I did just that maybe 1 1/2 years ago, and have already gotten to the point I can't keep up with all the orders and have to turn some work down now.

Something else that really launched interest and business for my page was donating a piece to a local animal rescue facility last year for a fundraiser raffle. An organization like that which already has 1000's of followers of their own can really help draw attention and interest to your pages work, ultimately boosting your client reach potential, and target a specific group of customers if you're into any specific kind of audience to gear your carves towards.
So yes, I'd say FB can be a VERY productive way to sell your carves and make a decent profit in the process. If carving is just a hobby you do for your own enjoyment and relaxation and to make a few bucks on the side, you may find that all changes when the orders and cash start rolling in. Once that happens you wont have much time to carve the things you enjoy carving the most, as you'll be stuck carving what others want, and when they want it, even when you don't feel like it.
Feel free to check out my page if your interested in seeing how I kinda handle things here. https://www.facebook.com/Woolygoats/
I looked at that work of yours on Facebook and it is really awesome.

Thanks Wooly, I am your going to take your suggestion because that is what I had in mind was to show many carvings instead of individual pieces.

I have may not have posted but I have been watching your progress and you have come a long way and I must say I am impressed . Now all I have to do it is get off my arse and start carving .

What category did you list your carvings in ???

I just titled my stuff as "chainsaw carvings" and posted with the lowest priced carve in the lineup. I'm not even sure what category FB Marketplace automatically listed it under.
Fair warning though, if your post gets enough traffic and interest, be prepared to reply to literally hundreds of stupid questions and lowballers as you try to weed them out before you start to figure out who is seriously interested, and who isn't.

There is always low ballers no matter what or where your trying to sell things . Just goes with being out in public where there is always someone trying to get some kind of deal.

Another question. Did you list a phone number or your location and a time the sale was going to happen or did you do all the selling via the e mail on Facebook.

There is always low ballers no matter what or where your trying to sell things . Just goes with being out in public where there is always someone trying to get some kind of deal.

Another question. Did you list a phone number or your location and a time the sale was going to happen or did you do all the selling via the e mail on Facebook.

I left that field very generic and handled everything through messenger on a case by case basis depending on their level of interest.
I do the same with my business page, and leave out all the pricing and exact location details. I have too much tied up in tools and merchandise to be giving out coordinates and values of what I've got here to strangers.

I left that field very generic and handled everything through messenger on a case by case basis depending on their level of interest.
I do the same with my business page, and leave out all the pricing and exact location details. I have too much tied up in tools and merchandise to be giving out coordinates and values of what I've got here to strangers.

Were on the same page . I don't need strangers casing my place out to come back later to steal things.

Modern times are good for things like this. Take advantage of your FB marketplace, I believe you'll do good.

Latest posts

Back