Selling some, buying some....Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Counselor

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have a pretty good little pile of older saws- Stihl 026, 029, 032, 034, 046, 066 and one lonely Husquvarna 136. (Edit....Lol, I also have a Stihl 391 I completely forgot about, yes, definitely time to sell off some saws!)

Recently I decided I wanted some newer saws and to simplify the stock of air filters, bars, chains etc that I need to keep around.....So I bought a new Husqvarna 562xp. I have been working on the others and getting them all running- they've been in storage for awhile etc....I think I will sell the 026, 029, 032 and 34 and probably the Husqvarna 136 and buy another Husqvarna 562. Then I think I'd probably want something to replace the 136. Ideas?

I'll keep the two big Stihls, they run good and I don't cut enough big timber to really need a new saw of that caliber, though I could sell the two of them and buy one replacement I guess.....Would the 372xp or 572xp be the best candidate for that move? That would get me from my current 8 saws down to 4 which seems like a better, more manageable situation. Money isn't a huge issue, I don't want to spend more than I have to but I want good equipment that will last a long time, have parts widely available etc....I should be able to make a few bucks off selling my older saws and any extra I would need I can swing.....

I guess it matters what I actually DO with my saws. I cut wood for heating primarily. At some point in the next few years I plan on moving to a place I have in Arkansas to live full time- Homesteading....I will need good saws to cut wood to heat, cut fence lines back and I may eventually buy a lumber mill of my own- Woodmizer etc...- nothing commercial just to make my own lumber for buildings etc....So I would need saws to cut trees to feed the mill.

While I appreciate the sentiment and obviously I think saws are cool and I enjoy using them but,....I need to simplify my life. I don't need more stuff to store, more stuff to maintain, more stuff for my kids to sell off one day etc...At some point, you don't own stuff- stuff owns you!

Would the Makita/Dolmar 7900 be a good choice vs. the 572 Husqvarna? My only concern would be long term parts availability etc....

I keep a 266 Husky, a pair of 262's, a pair of 55's and a few small echo's...that bridges the gap for saws I need....If I could lay my hands on a 372 I'd snatch it up in a heart beat. For ale now and if I feel like trying out I've got an 024, 026, 51 Husky, and 350 Husky plus a slew of 4218 Poulons. There are so many interesting saws out there, I just keep accumulating

I was going to say sure...... sell me the 046 and 066 to get you started! haha

If you want a replacement for the 046, the 572 would be a little better than a 372 I think. Either would work, certainly, as would a 390xp. Thing is, if you want a 372 or 390, you'd better buy one soon. They won't be available new forever.

One of my friends logs. He swears by his 372xp saws. Hes been using then since they came out. However when he needs more grunt he usually borrows my 390xp. Hes one of the very few I will pass a saw off to and know it wont come back messed up. Anyways. I like the 60/90 cc saw profile. Fits all my needs. I considered doing the 50/70 cc saw thing when my 394 wore out, as at the time I was running a 346 oe as my small saw. But have come to prefer the set up I have now. Especially sincemy fil gave me his old 359 husqy a few years ago. So now I have a back up for both my main saws. 562xp and 390xp.

Any ideas on a replacement for the little Husqvarna 136? It's a handy little saw for limbing and homeowner tree trimming and a lot of the things I use a saw for, I don't need 25 pounds of saw.... I also use it to cut up pieces of firewood that I maybe got to long/fat whatever, stuff that needs a quick trim for the stove.

Any ideas on a replacement for the little Husqvarna 136? It's a handy little saw for limbing and homeowner tree trimming and a lot of the things I use a saw for, I don't need 25 pounds of saw.... I also use it to cut up pieces of firewood that I maybe got to long/fat whatever, stuff that needs a quick trim for the stove.
My choice in that mid-30cc range has been an Echo for years (for just the use you describe). Started with a CS-346 which I still have, lately a CS-352. I'll admit I've never tried either Stihl or Husqvarna in that size range.

My choice in that mid-30cc range has been an Echo for years (for just the use you describe). Started with a CS-346 which I still have, lately a CS-352. I'll admit I've never tried either Stihl or Husqvarna in that size range.

I looked into a 352, 370 and the 400. They all weigh the same pretty much and the prices aren't that much different either. Makita 3500 is same price as the 352.....Home Depot....Probably going to get a 370...Leaning that way.

I looked into a 352, 370 and the 400. They all weigh the same pretty much and the prices aren't that much different either. Makita 3500 is same price as the 352.....Home Depot....Probably going to get a 370...Leaning that way.
352 is the only one I've run. The 400 gets a lot of positive press on here, rarely see the 370 mentioned. A lot of folks think highly of the Makita's as well. I ended up with the 352 on a good deal for a used saw. Not sure which out of the 4 you mention I would have bought new. Also not sure there's a bad choice to be made with any of them.

yeah I like the CS-352, albeit it's been lightly used and is only a few years old so I can't speak to really long-term durability, but it seems well made and is really light. Definitely not the king of grunt, though.

edit: with Stihl that's in the MS201/211 range, and looks to be similar price. when I happened to be in a shop that is both Echo and Stihl, the CS-352 was $280 on the wall and their website is saying same price for an MS211 (the MS211 C-BE is saying $320, but I wouldn't need or want the extra gadgets). Doubt you can go wrong with either,

but crikies if Home Depot selling the CS-400 for $299, CS-352 for $259 - sounds pretty good - pick one

Back