Semi-permanent TIP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm interested in thoughts on leaving a TIP in place for several months during deer season to hunt from using my New Tribe saddle. I've been climbing for 4 years primarily doing tree work on my own property. Started out Ddrt with Blakes closed system. Now climb Ddrt open on micro pulley/VT and have been working on SRT with an ascender, micro/VT, descending on VT/Munter combination. My lanyard is micro pulley attended with Knut knot.
I know once I ascend a tree I've selected to hunt from I can leave a throw line in place and use it to reset my rope when I return. I would probably SRT to the TIP for speed/efficiency using a Yosemite bowline, do lanyard change over to Ddrt to "hang out" and for descent. What I'd really like to do is set a TIP with double wrapped water knotted tubular wedding and a link. This would give me more flexibility on where I place the TIP so I can orient my location on the preferred side of a tree and not be dependent on a specific limb location, also to reduce friction and noise, which would occur if I were to set a friction saver. My fear is if I leave this in place, I have no way of knowing the condition of the TIP prior to ascent. It has occurred to me that while remote, suppose a squirrel, attracted to salt (or whatever) from my hands, were to chew through the webbing between my visits? Bad news.
I guess chain or wire cable are a possibility? I don't tend to think of alternative materials I suppose because they are static so I haven't got an appreciation of their riskiness in a fall event.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Greengreer - presumably the chafe guard (rubber hose?) is on the chain as a bark saver, not a friction saver? 5/16 or 3/8 chain with WLL >1200# ok? Chain version of a cambium saver. ANSI rated links and rings, one ring
small enough to pass thru the other. Is that pretty much what you're suggesting? Sounds reasonable and cost effective. Given I go in not knowing diameter where the tip will be, guess I need to start with the link and select chain of adequate size and length so a link can pass through mid-chain.
May not be cheap for 6-8 of these but I very much like the squirrel risk elimination factor and retrievabity.

Guess this may be one of those sites with low participation.
Today I picked up 5/16 galvanized chain WLL 1800# and 5/16 links, rated more than chain. I like Greengreer's idea of retrievability. In searching for rated rings large enough to pass a throw bag for retrieval the cost is as much as a Black Diamond twist lock carabiner so I plan to go with a biner and link as the system unless someone chimes in with a reason not to. That way I can use the biners at other times of year for other purposes.
I hope no one takes offense if they see my post on another climbing site as for personal safety I'd like to have input from more experienced/skilled climbers on what I'm contemplating here. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back