Semi-skip tooth chain on a CS2245?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushman Tahou

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently picked up a new saw - Jonsered CS2245 (Picture in my avatar) for fairly lightweight work around the house and up at camp. After taking it out for the first real day of work, I found (not unexpectedly) that the iddy biddy engine just doesn't have the power to come even close to burring the 18" bar in any kind of hardwood. I would really like to keep the 18" bar on board, but was wondering if moving to a semi-skip or skip tooth chain would help me out when cutting without being too hard on the engine for limbing work and firewood. I kind of suspect the answer might be to keep it as is and get a bigger saw for the bigger work, but if the chain won't hurt me I figure it might be worth picking one up with my next order from Bailey's. Thanks!

Semi-skip would help, but I don't think .325 72DL is all that common. It should improve after it breaks in, ten tanks or so.

Alright, I'll hold off on ordering anything until I get there! I think you might be right about the semi - I found a full skip, but that might be a bit overkill for my needs

I would think, based on what you are doing with it, that full skip chain would be just fine on that saw. However, as cuinrearview said, If I were you, I'd give it a little time for the rings, piston, and bearings to all get run-in, seated, and such. I think you will see a marked improvement after a few tanks of fuel.

Back