shake/shingle mills in western warshington?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North, still got that cedar? I've done this and it's really pretty easy. You can also make rails. Affluent (but otherwise clueless) homeowners will pay big bucks for the "rustic" look.

I used ripping chain but regular round ground or chisel skip works good too. I'd cold deck cedar all summer and cut posts when we got weathered out of the woods. Easy work and good pocket money.

While not a terrible idea, I don't have the space for it, or the time really, haven't had a slow winter in a few years

Then coast into Winthrop and only one more pass to go over and it is only 4000 feet. It has a couple of curves on the east side. I'd buy you a burrito grande at the taco wagon in downtown Okanogan. They are good and cheap.

While I'm all for a road trip, just imagine 2nd gear at around 5500 rpm 15 mph all the way up out of Marblemount into MAZAMA! Belching fire out the exhaust the entire way...

While not a terrible idea, I don't have the space for it, or the time really, haven't had a slow winter in a few years

While I'm all for a road trip, just imagine 2nd gear at around 5500 rpm 15 mph all the way up out of Marblemount into MAZAMA! Belching fire out the exhaust the entire way...
Do you stihl have your forest service approved screens on those straight pipes ...

What's that monster got in it, an FE?or FT? or?

I never doubted the legality of the cedar , I don't necessarily agree with it. But I am aware that there are laws that I disagree with in a lot of states,but I also understand the thought process used in making said laws. Just don't like em....

I am one of those who thinks that government show allow people to do whatever they want until it causes harm to their neighbor. In this case cedar roofs can cause disastrous results. A few years ago I personally saw 450 homes go up in smoke in 45 minutes mostly due to the wood roofs. On this case which is rare I think government has this right. Thanks

Northman when I was faced with a problem like yours I had to think outside the normal boxes. I contacted several fence companies and after awhile found a company that wanted them. Then some one called me and said they could take umteen trailer loads so I said sure. The loads were for Disneyland. At that time they wanted a bunch with the bark still on them so no problem cause they were green. If you spray urathane on a green tree the bark will last a long time. Thanks

I am one of those who thinks that government show allow people to do whatever they want until it causes harm to their neighbor. In this case cedar roofs can cause disastrous results. A few years ago I personally saw 450 homes go up in smoke in 45 minutes mostly due to the wood roofs. On this case which is rare I think government has this right. Thanks

450 homes? In 45 minutes? What fire was that? When was it?

Do you stihl have your forest service approved screens on those straight pipes ...

What's that monster got in it, an FE?or FT? or?
FS what? that truck don't run on forest service roads... and likely never will. It does have a glass pack type "muffler" but it don't do anything. Running a 362 CI ford gasser, Not sure what FE or FT means, but its basically an industrial sleeved 390 big block ford.

FS what? that truck don't run on forest service roads... and likely never will. It does have a glass pack type "muffler" but it don't do anything. Running a 362 CI ford gasser, Not sure what FE or FT means, but its basically an industrial sleeved 390 big block ford.
I was kidding about the forest service.

FE=Ford Edsel 352,390,427,428can't remember em all.
FT=Ford Truck which is what you have, and like you said just a HD version of the FE . I have the same engine in a 76 F750 dump truck, but I haven't shot fire out of mine yet. I guess I'm not trying hard enough...

FS what? that truck don't run on forest service roads... and likely never will. It does have a glass pack type
My humor isn't always decipherable. I was talking about spark arrestor screens like "most" saws have, since you were talking about shooting flames out of your pipes,which I am confident that they are not manufactured for FT's(screens that is)

I was kidding about the forest service.

FE=Ford Edsel 352,390,427,428can't remember em all.
FT=Ford Truck which is what you have, and like you said just a HD version of the FE . I have the same engine in a 76 F750 dump truck, but I haven't shot fire out of mine yet. I guess I'm not trying hard enough...
Rebuild it with too much cam, high compression pistons, and a massive exhaust leak. Then run it on 92 only... only running a 2 barrel carb, it would be obnoxious on fuel with a 4 barrel, bad enough as it is at 6 mpg, it pulls pretty good for only having a smallish gas pot in it. Does pretty good off the line too... until you have to catch third and wait for the 2sp rear to catch up.

My humor isn't always decipherable. I was talking about spark arrestor screens like "most" saws have, since you were talking about shooting flames out of your pipes,which I am confident that they are not manufactured for FT's(screens that is)

Funny enough, you have to have a certified muffler to run equipment on FS ground too... so I thought you was serious...

Funny enough, you have to have a certified muffler to run equipment on FS ground too... so I thought you was serious.
Thought you were gettin caught up in a undercover forest service spark arrestor sting. Run for it man,their coming!

6mpg that's not too bad, my wife's V10 Excursion only got about 7mpg, fairly salty for a school bus...

If you want to travel up here Northy ,i can find out if the mill before Forks is still buying .,You will be at least 3 hours one way trip though .

1980 San Bernardino/ Panorama was there Thanks

It looks like your numbers are off. I didn't see anything about your claim of 450 houses in 45 minutes and I couldn't find any reference to wood roofs.
Are you exaggerating, misinformed, or are just making things up to please yourself?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Panorama_Fire

http://framework.latimes.com/2016/03/30/waterman-canyon-homes-destroyed-in-1980-panorama-fire/

http://alpenhornnews.com/the-panorama-fire-a-thanksgiving-to-remember-p6628-155.htm

It looks like your numbers are off. I didn't see anything about your claim of 450 houses in 45 minutes and I couldn't find any reference to wood roofs.
Are you exaggerating, misinformed, or are just making things up to please yourself?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Panorama_Fire

http://framework.latimes.com/2016/03/30/waterman-canyon-homes-destroyed-in-1980-panorama-fire/

http://alpenhornnews.com/the-panorama-fire-a-thanksgiving-to-remember-p6628-155.htm
Are you nit picking his precise recollection of 38 year old numbers or just oblivious to the fact that combustible roofing is illegal as he said it is?

Are you nit picking his precise recollection of 38 year old numbers or just oblivious to the fact that combustible roofing is illegal as he said it is?
I reckon he's just doing due diligence and expecting folks do their research before posting dubious claims in a public forum where folks who walk the walk congregate. Y'know, as professionals do.

EDIT: I see that my first sentence there has the syllable sound "do" about a hundred dozen times. Could it be that I am responding to doo-doo?

I reckon he's just doing due diligence and expecting folks do their research before posting dubious claims in a public forum where folks who walk the walk congregate. Y'know, as professionals do.

EDIT: I see that my first sentence there has the syllable sound "do" about a hundred dozen times. Could it be that I am responding to doo-doo?
Like those that walk the walk & never piped up and supported another member who's original claim was true, yet was called an idiot & moron, now that's not very professional is it.
Thanski

image.jpg Fire season in Calif is no joke, especially in a high density urban forested area. There were over 400 homes destroyed in a short time, and yes, cedar shakes are no longer allowed in new construction in most parts of California, the point of his post was not wrong. This is what I did with a cedar I cut a few years ago, held up very well.

I love how a bunch of not loggers show up to defend some punter that makes absurd claims. Most of the regulars on this forum are from northern california, and the rest of us are from western states, we get fire, Hel a bunch of em have made careers fighting forest fires. In fact I lived in a little crap hole called Shingleton for 3 months way back in 1992... about 30 mi north of Redding.

Shakes are not legal in new construction in many areas, that is not the point of me putting ole ted on ignore, its the claiming the gubamint will come and take away your house if you dare put a wooden roof on you domicile, its ignorant, narrow viewed, and largely wrong, it may be true in his area, its certainly not true for most of america.

Furthermore, the man has made many, many dubious claims on other threads, none of them supported by any real evidence, just some wind bags opinion... Hence IGNORE.

Rant over....

As for slabbing, or splitting for rails, or really any further work other then shipping them down the road, I don't have time, nor then inclination to A: find a market B: develop trade agreements C: work up a good product I'm willing to stand behind D: space to bother with any of it

My neighbor likes to make slabs, and build crazy furniture, his back yard is currently full of cedar, oak, walnut, maple, none of it is going anywhere anytime soon, because like me, he works 5-7 days a week.

Back