shake/shingle mills in western warshington?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how a bunch of not loggers show up to defend some punter that makes absurd claims. Most of the regulars on this forum are from northern california, and the rest of us are from western states, we get fire, Hel a bunch of em have made careers fighting forest fires. In fact I lived in a little crap hole called Shingleton for 3 months way back in 1992... about 30 mi north of Redding.

Shakes are not legal in new construction in many areas, that is not the point of me putting ole ted on ignore, its the claiming the gubamint will come and take away your house if you dare put a wooden roof on you domicile, its ignorant, narrow viewed, and largely wrong, it may be true in his area, its certainly not true for most of america.

Furthermore, the man has made many, many dubious claims on other threads, none of them supported by any real evidence, just some wind bags opinion... Hence IGNORE..

The bottom line is what the guy said in this thread was true, he was specific about how it was from where he was located, there is no way what he said can be confused with the rest of the country, you're a big guy, just not big enough it seems to admit you spat the dummy for no reason on this point, some of us loggers do more these days than just drop as many trees as they can & truck them down the road never to be seen again, some of us value add the raw materials & have less volume with as much value.

That is a truly beautiful ad hominem attack, brings a tear to me eye.
I'm not club affiliated as you can see & call it as it lays. You must think getting swotted with an empty lace glove that wouldn't bother a fly is some sort of an attack.

Then coast into Winthrop and only one more pass to go over and it is only 4000 feet. It has a couple of curves on the east side. I'd buy you a burrito grande at the taco wagon in downtown Okanogan. They are good and cheap.

Well, I missed the Taco wagon in Okanogan, but I did get the Husky 445, that my Wife got for Christmas, at Xtreme Power Sports, in Okanogan:)

Evidently my trainee missed the Taco Wagon too, with a last name like Gonzales, he should have mentioned it ;)

Doug :cheers:

Probably the latter, though it could be amusing. I'm just playing passive-aggressive because it amuses me more than just ignoring.

Yeah, I was just curious about the number of houses and the time frame. The people I was working for had a helicopter on that fire and I spent about two weeks down there.
It was truly a nasty fire, lots of wind, totally indefensible space, and a tremendous amount of structure damage.
But 450 homes in 45 minutes? I never saw or heard of those numbers until Ted mentioned them, thus the research.
Going strictly on memory most of the houses I saw had stucco tile roofs.

Which brings me back to my oft-repeated statement that the counties need to be held accountable for permitting building in fire-prone locations. That sweet, sweet tax revenue isn't worth anybody's life.
We just now build with non combustible materials & have property static water reserves with roof sprinkler systems in high fire risk zones.

If your plan relies on water to stop a fire, your plan isn't very good at all.
Who said anything about stopping a fire, that's impossible , structures can be designed to survive & water will enable them to withstand the fire front attack for the critical ~1/2 hour. It's not my plan , it's our national building code for building in fire prone areas. After a catastrophe we change things within reason to try & prevent them from happening again, it works much better than hopes & prayers.
Thanski

You can tell when you see several bad cases of cabin fever, better call the CDC:laugh:

Are they shingles when sawn and shakes when split? Seems I recall and oldtimer saying that is how it was. Damn shame they burn so readily because they sure do make beautiful roofing and last a really long time too compared to most the stuff put on today.

You can tell when you see several bad cases of cabin fever, better call the CDC:laugh:

Are they shingles when sawn and shakes when split? Seems I recall and oldtimer saying that is how it was. Damn shame they burn so readily because they sure do make beautiful roofing and last a really long time too compared to most the stuff put on today.
Thinks it other way around, but then its been 25 years since anyone i know has worked on em

Thinks it other way around, but then its been 25 years since anyone i know has worked on em

I know a man that built his log house and shop from trees on his property and roofed both with cedar he split by hand. Not small buildings either, shop was two level, woodworking on top and blacksmith on the ground level. Built into a hillside so you could drive into both levels through big bi-fold barn doors. Roofs were 30 years old when I saw them and going strong.

Back about 6 years ago I helped tear the split cedar shingle roof off an old school house that had been converted into a house and the roof was known to be 60 years old and had only a few small patches.

Back