Shaping up huge magnolia tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scampbell6008

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My first post here, looking for advice on shaping up a really old magnolia tree on an abandoned property that I just bought. Had a couple tree guys come and look at some of the really old elms and the magnolia to see what they would charge on removing the deadwood and elevating them some. They all said it was definitely one of the biggest magnolias they'd seen in my area and one guy mentioned that removing some of the large lower branches might even kill it. We love the tree and don't want to kill it for sure, just looking for other opinions on if it might be ok to remove these two really big branches at the bottom along with several of the other small ones close to the ground. The tree is about 36 to 40 inches in diameter at the base, one guy said he thought it was about 120 years old.

Thanks a lot20200321_151339.jpg

Attachments

• 20200321_151334.jpg
    20200321_151334.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
I've removed about a dozen small branches that were really low to the ground so far, but I'm leaning towards leaving the big ones as you suggested. We've also pulled a bunch of huge vines off the tree that were choking it out.

Back