Sharp chains are for Sissy's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better budget for a P&C while you're at it, I'm betting that saw has a LOT of hard miles on it. ;)
I think someone got grandpa's (or dads) chainsaw and tried trenching with it once or twice and gave up and sold it to me. P&C are in great shape.

Kid i bought it from couldn't have been 20 years old.

Other than the dust/dirt I think it's a low hour saw, paint and lack of wear on the handle lead me to believe that. I picked it up for (if I remember correctly) $35 off a local online ad, he had it originally for about twice that and I kept watching it until he got it down to a lower price and then I called him and made an offer for it. Originally I was thinking of it as a parts saw in case I needed parts for my other one later.

Once I started cleaning it up a bit I found out it was just a little diamond in the rough, or at least appears to be so far. I should have it up and running by next weekend when I can put some more time into it. The points are clean and no pitting, I'm going to clean it as best as I can without removing the air box section, if I take the air box section off I know I am in for a gasket replacement there and I don't want to if I don't have to. I have a rim/drum and bearing to convert it from sprocket. I will replace the fuel line and oil hoses as well and a new air filter and carb rebuild. I already replaced the starter rope that wasn't really that worn but was swollen and cleaned the starter housing all up. The spark plug looks like someone just replaced it but I will put an NGK in there anyway.

Well just using a pick, a brush and a vacuum got it to this point. I will have to spray it down with carb cleaner to get the rest.
IMG_20191110_195311573.jpg

The oil lines are in good shape and pliable. The fuel line was hard as a rock. So once the cleaning is done I'll put in a new fuel line and filter.

Dull chains are a common denominator in almost every blown up saw I see. And not just sort of dull, but needing serious work to get back to sharp dull.

Well it's back together. I still have to rebuild the carb (failed pressure test). The fuel cap failed pressure test, the gasket and duck bill valve need replaced. I have a new oil cap coming.Cleaned the points and set the gap. I have a different style muffler cap coming for it as well.

I put in a new fuel line and filter as well as a rim/drum system. I installed a new starter rope but it needs new spring glides. I have a new air filter for it and a NGK plug to install.
IMG_20191111_175556235.jpg

Latest posts

Back