Sharp chains are for Sissy's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked this saw up last summer and finally got a chance to look at it.

It's obvious that the previous owner felt sharp chain was for Sissy's.

IMG_20191108_204326879.jpg IMG_20191108_204124729.jpg

Not necessarily. I keep a few shot chains which I may use occasionally to remove a stump and cut buried roots. They wear in the blink of an eye but I prefer to do it this way rather than torture my back during hours. After use, those chains may just look like the one from the OP. A heavy ground and I am good to go for a next one.

lets hope she was running rich enough to survive that chain.

Probably can't see it very well unless you bring the pic up to full size but the piston looks good looking in the exhaust port and the compression is really nice even compared to my other SEZ which runs great. These things are a pain to get the flywheel off sometimes, I'm going to make myself a remover that is like the Stihl 044 flywheel remover today to help get this one off.

Who knows what exciting adventures await as I go deeper into this rabbit hole called CAD.

Homemade flywheel puller to the rescue. The last SEZ was a pain to get the flywheel off, I would have never gotten this one off without a puller.
IMG_20191109_171439458.jpg

I laugh at people trying to cut with dull chains the start doing the hand saw motion back and forth thinking it helps........lol
It's funny you mentioned that, Me and my son went hunting a couple of years ago and one of the guys in our camp had a saw that was so dull that it blued the bar, rolled an edge on the bar and then spread the bar where he had his chain so tight at the beginning but the chain would just stretch and there was no tightening it up. When he started cutting he did the handsaw action and I just looked at my son and we both started laughing. I walked over and told him, hey it's a chainsaw not a handsaw going back and forth isn't going to help it.

Also it wasn't getting any oil to the bar, the oil hole in the bar was clogged with sawdust and even if it wasn't it wouldn't have helped, he had removed the bar and never bothered to clean where the bar makes up against the plate so there was a bunch of crap in there holding a gap so what oil did come out just ran down the side of the bar plate, which I am sure helped stretch the chain and take the bar out.

I’ve pushed my 2100 at the end of the day, last few cuts with a dull chain to a point just to hit the Miller beer time. But the chain wasn’t that bad. There’s a time to stop and file it.

I haven’t had a pub draft beer in decades I’m due soon.

Latest posts

Back