ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

sharpening a chain

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Tape, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Tape

Tape ArboristSite Lurker

After sharpening a chain or installing a new one how long will it last until you need to resharpen the chain again. I do not know how to judge it, by cuts or hours?? I believe I can get about 30-40 cuts out of a tree aprox 12-18" in diameter. Does this sound about right?

2. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

When it starts tossing dust instead of chips it is dull. Having to lean on saw to get to cut -chain also dull. There is no set time/ # of cuts. Up in sand country here in WI you might get a dozen cuts or less due to sand being imbedded in bark of trees from the wind. Some wood species are more abrasive than others as well. Obviously you will not get as far in hard woods vs soft woods.

powrguy2, spyder62, CacaoBoy and 2 others like this.
  3. Tape

Tape ArboristSite Lurker

thank you blades good points you bring up

lknchoppers likes this.
  4. CR888

CR888 Addicted to ArboristSite

Very subjective question, too many variables to give an exact answer. A better way of knowing when it needs sharpening is to use your eyes & look at the cutters. A dull cutter will reflect light off its sharp edges, a sharp cutter won't. A seasoned sawyer will know by 'feel' when his chain needs touching up. You can destroy a cutters edge in 1 cut or successfully make 100. Eyes, ears & hands will tell you what's up.

ATH, lknchoppers and old CB like this.
  5. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

I can usually get through a cord of wood if the bark is clean and I stay out of the dirt.

powrguy2 likes this.
  6. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

Only way to know when it's dull is by paying attention to what it's doing, in clean wood I can cut for a good part of the day without having to sharpen, in dirty wood I might get 20-30 cuts. The type of chain also makes a difference, round or semi-chisel will stay sharp significantly longer in adverse conditions than a chisel chain will but it cuts a little slower. When you notice that you have to push harder or the chips start to turn into dust then it's time to sharpen.

lknchoppers and CacaoBoy like this.
  7. no tree to big

no tree to big Addicted to ArboristSite

If you are real lucky you might get to sharpen 3 or 4 times for 1 cut(metal or rock) or (have not counted how many cuts it takes to remove a tree) I can go 10 or 15 big ass trees before really needing a touch up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

8. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

Don't forget the rakers. They will need filling every so often.

lknchoppers, CacaoBoy and ATH like this.
  9. Eagle90301

Eagle90301 ArboristSite Lurker

Go by sight. When I see dust I touch up/ sharpen OR change my chain. I keep 4 chains with me for whatever size bar I plan on using the most and 1spare fir each of the other size bars I bring out. ( I got a great deal on bars and chains a few years ago). I have gotten 1o, 20 or more cuts out of 1 chain or as few as 5. Depends on what you are cutting. I picked up a really cool and nice to use sharpener ( well for me it is) made by stihl. I love this thing and it makes it so easy to clean up blades. Don’t know what everyone else’s opinions are.

Attached Files:

lknchoppers and CacaoBoy like this.
  10. Kel71

Kel71 ArboristSite Operative

Those Stihl sharpeners are nice. The Rural King by me has them for a good price.

lknchoppers likes this.
  11. nk14zp

nk14zp ArboristSite Guru

And it's faster to stop and sharpen/swap a dull chain as soon as you notice it. Sawing with a dull chain is hard on you,the saw everything.

12. ericm979

ericm979 ArboristSite Operative

If you run the bar into the dirt the chain will get dull in only a few cuts.

The longest I go is two tanks of fuel. It's better to sharpen the chain often than to wait until it's really dull. 90% of the time I hand file, the rest gets the grinder.

powrguy2 likes this.
  13. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

hit dirt instant dull-

lknchoppers and old guy like this.
  14. Eagle90301

one of the guys i work with at the fire department brought in his stihl sharpener i saw how easy it was I went the next day to the store and picked one up. I think i paid around $20 for it .have not looked back yet. Had the repair guy at another shop talking me into a bench mount grinder until i told him how easy this thing is he looked at me and said if you like the sharpener stick with it

15. Skeans

Skeans Addicted to ArboristSite

I realize this is the home owners side but let me throw this out doing production falling you want something repeatable results you can only get with grinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Eagle90301

I truly appreciate the input. I usually "touch up" my blades a few times then toss them. i picked up a TON of chains for my saw a few years ago for around $3 each. have 14' 16' 18' and a few 20" also got bars at the same time for around 5-$7. i have looked into a grinder a few times but keep talking myself out of it.

17. Skeans

Skeans Addicted to ArboristSite

My short bars are 32’s running square chains normally grind daily when hand falling in a six hour day I’ll have 3 or 4 chains.
    This is the first tree of the day a little grabby which is pretty normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. flyinfinn

flyinfinn ArboristSite Member

I usually sharpen my chain when I fill my gas. It's much easier to keep a chain sharp then bring it back from being really dull. Sharpen more often then you think, and after a while, you'll know when is the best time to do it.

powrguy2 likes this.
  19. grizz55chev

grizz55chev Addicted to ArboristSite

What’s a “ blade”? :cool: