Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

sharpening a chain

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Tape, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Tape

Tape ArboristSite Lurker

After sharpening a chain or installing a new one how long will it last until you need to resharpen the chain again. I do not know how to judge it, by cuts or hours?? I believe I can get about 30-40 cuts out of a tree aprox 12-18" in diameter. Does this sound about right?

2. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

When it starts tossing dust instead of chips it is dull. Having to lean on saw to get to cut -chain also dull. There is no set time/ # of cuts. Up in sand country here in WI you might get a dozen cuts or less due to sand being imbedded in bark of trees from the wind. Some wood species are more abrasive than others as well. Obviously you will not get as far in hard woods vs soft woods.

CacaoBoy, lknchoppers and Tape like this.
  3. Tape

Tape ArboristSite Lurker

thank you blades good points you bring up

lknchoppers likes this.
  4. CR888

CR888 Addicted to ArboristSite

Very subjective question, too many variables to give an exact answer. A better way of knowing when it needs sharpening is to use your eyes & look at the cutters. A dull cutter will reflect light off its sharp edges, a sharp cutter won't. A seasoned sawyer will know by 'feel' when his chain needs touching up. You can destroy a cutters edge in 1 cut or successfully make 100. Eyes, ears & hands will tell you what's up.

ATH, lknchoppers and old CB like this.
  5. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

I can usually get through a cord of wood if the bark is clean and I stay out of the dirt.

6. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

Only way to know when it's dull is by paying attention to what it's doing, in clean wood I can cut for a good part of the day without having to sharpen, in dirty wood I might get 20-30 cuts. The type of chain also makes a difference, round or semi-chisel will stay sharp significantly longer in adverse conditions than a chisel chain will but it cuts a little slower. When you notice that you have to push harder or the chips start to turn into dust then it's time to sharpen.

CacaoBoy likes this.
  7. no tree to big

no tree to big Addicted to ArboristSite

If you are real lucky you might get to sharpen 3 or 4 times for 1 cut(metal or rock) or (have not counted how many cuts it takes to remove a tree) I can go 10 or 15 big ass trees before really needing a touch up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

8. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

Don't forget the rakers. They will need filling every so often.

CacaoBoy and ATH like this.