Sharpening Chainsaw Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowhog Your diamond matrix wheels will last a lot longer if you refrain from cutting steel with them ( steel clogs them up pretty quick as well overheating the matrix causing it to break down quickly) Use a Vitrified wheel for steel to relieve the area behind the tooth then sharpen the carbide teeth with the diamond wheel. And yes I know that there are a few wheels available that can be used for either but the quality of the grind finish is substandard. Also you should be cleaning any residual crud from the area shown in the picture before regrinding. Note: this is my full time occupation. Just a suggestion you do what you want. Chris, Mr. B's Blades- providing repair and sharpening of tools since 1936. ( this is not an advertisement for business).

Lowhog Your diamond matrix wheels will last a lot longer if you refrain from cutting steel with them ( steel clogs them up pretty quick as well overheating the matrix causing it to break down quickly) Use a Vitrified wheel for steel to relieve the area behind the tooth then sharpen the carbide teeth with the diamond wheel. And yes I know that there are a few wheels available that can be used for either but the quality of the grind finish is substandard. Also you should be cleaning any residual crud from the area shown in the picture before regrinding. Note: this is my full time occupation. Just a suggestion you do what you want. Chris, Mr. B's Blades- providing repair and sharpening of tools since 1936. ( this is not an advertisement for business).
I use a wire brush to clean the carbide teeth. I will take your advise and purchase a Vitrified wheel for the steel blades. Thank You!

I know this is an older thread, but for what it's worth, Blades is right. As a machinist, I can concur that diamonds are for carbide. OF INTEREST TO EVERYONE WITH A GRINDER, it's extremely important to put equal thought into how you are going to keep your grinding dust out of your lungs (ESPECIALLY when grinding carbide)! A shop vac behind the grinder with fresh air coming from behind you is ideal. Respiratory problems suck.

Question if anyone is still paying attention to this thread? I've always used stones to grind with a silvey R2 but seeing the diamond cutting wheels leads me to ask if one will work for a chisel chain. Part #'s if you have them.

Not diamond but CBN is what you want, come 2 ways plated or matrix. Sorry I do not have any part # as each manf. has there own series. Buggers are not cheap generally around $100 ea. the plated ones can be sent back for re-plating not sure on the matrix type.

I'm curious on how long this style of cutter will last for the cost. Usually an abrasive stone lasts me a season before I replace it, I'm thinking it would be nice not to have to dress up a stone and it last for 3 or 4 seasons but never running one I would not know. Do you fellas have a guess on how long they would last.

I think that he is asking about square ground chain on an RSII. A few threads on guys trying to get one custom made.

E.g.:
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...onsidering-a-cbn-wheel.229210/?amp=1361287089

Philbert
Thanks Philbet for the attached thread I learned a lot from it, my dressers were close to what most of those guys were talking about but it took me awhile to get there, when I got my silvey years back it was in pieces and I put it together started trying different angles on the dressers I wish I would have read that thread it would have saved a lot of time.

Latest posts

Back