Sharpening, finally at long long last

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If you're a seasoned pro at sharpening, feel free to stop here. If not, maybe this'll be of some help. Today I bought 2 of the "Two In One" sharpeners made by Stihl. Unlike every thing I'd tried, these devices worked with consistency. First up, I sharpened the old chain on my Stihl MS 180c, then did the same on my Husky 445. Both chains were restored to factory fresh condition, if not better. Both saws tossed out big chips. No sawdust or grits. Both saws cut aggressively and straight. Over the past several years, I had tried Stihl's sharpening kit; Husqvarna's kit; a Granberg file and joint; and a Craftsman dremel type sharpener. Bottom line, the Stihl 2 in one is a superior product. With it, a gorilla could sharpen a chain - consistently and fast. I paid about $40.00 for each device. They came with 2 Stihl files. So about $33.00 net. Worth many times that to me, just in reduced frustration!

I have one for every chain size I own. I try to touch up the chain every tank or two. It gives me a break and keeps the saw running well. The more I use them the less I rotate my bar. Just make sure you still rotate regularly and keep the saw clean.

I am probably considered a long time pro more than most. I have been around the block in several states making a living at running my chainsaws. Does it mean that I know everything at least not in my opinion. I never had a jig or guide when I first got a chainsaw, So I got a file and whittled away at the chain. Yes it made some chips. Over the years my finesse improved greatly as will yours. When I am in soft wood like Pine I go big then when I am dirty Oak I go very small. It seems to me that anybody that can make a chain sharp out in the field has a big advantage over those who rely on just their grinder at home. So if you can make a good grade of chips with a guide I say it will not be long if you continue to have the ability to free hand very well. Or a combination of grinders and hand filing is not all bad, but when some one can fix a rocked out chain or touch up and be on their way is a commendable skill. Thanks

Since picking up a saw in the '70s, I used a Granberg File n Joint for many years. Then I learned to file freehand. Then I bought a used grinder which I thought would make sharpening quick and easy. Haven't used the grinder in forever, as it just won't do as good a job as a file.

A couple years ago I was introduced to the Stihl Two-in-One. It's all I use anymore. Sure, I can hand-file in the field if I have to. But this thing makes sharpening a breeze--anyone can put a great edge on a chain--AND get the rakers right at the same time.

I have one for my 3/8 chains and one for my .325 chains. It's a great tool.

Also, Pferd makes the same outfit--you can get it from Bailey's. The Pferd uses a 7/32 file for a 3/8 chain, while the Stihl model uses 13/64". I can't tell the difference in chain performance between the two, but I like the 7/32 file for a new chain, and go to the 13/64 when the cutters are short.

Love the Stihl 2 in 1 file, they are a great tool, especially in the field. I purchased the Dremel sharpener, and found this totally useless, very difficult to operate and don't waste your money. I still prefer to use my bench top sharpener, very quick however only draw back is that it does not take down depth gauges, these are done manually. Not sure if you have the OZITO brand in the USA, I am sure that there are other alternatives. Basically a cheaper version of the Oregon or Stihl sharpeners. Highly recommended, and it was cheaper that the 2 in 1 file.

upload_2018-9-5_17-0-2.jpeg

I bought the Oregon PowerSharp Starter Kit for Saws and have had great luck with it, paid 35$ and have sharpened it 4 times so far, it sharpens the saw in 3-5 seconds while on the saw, I believe I can get another 4-5 more sharpening out of it, it is worth getting a setup like 2 Stroke Pete posted? I didn't want to spend the time.

I have been using a Stihl 2 in 1 file for about 5 years now and have cut quite a bit of firewood. They are pricey but well worth it and I always head out with a super sharp chain that cuts fast.

Guys,

The Stihl 2 in 1 is an awesome tool, no doubt about it. If you have many chains of varying lengths, the bench grinder is fantastic. Really cuts down sharpening time. The following is only my opinion on using the bench style grinder:

PROS
  • Perfect angles every time
  • Sharpen 4 chains in the time it takes to file 1 chain by hand
  • Quick for sharpening many chains/production line style
CONS
  • Does not take depth gauges down
  • Have to remove chain from bar
  • Not that great if you only have a couple of chains to sharpen
  • Cannot be used in field unless you have an generator on your vehicle
I still use my 2 in 1 units, very handy to have. I like to touch up the chain while still on the bar sometimes, just to get that sharp feel and and excuse to have a few more beers in the shed!:yes:

There are 12v bar mounted grinders available smaller version of the bench units. because I do a lot of chains I have three bench grinders set up both at shop and home. one each for left and right cutters and one set for depth gauges saves me screwing around with swinging the vise back and forth. I use a calipers to match cutter lengths which you need to do if swinging the vise as well. depth gauges I just cut them in half and reduce the side plates to clear the the vise cams/ jaws .

Back