Sharpening My Fiskars Axe ......... Tips ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharpen a splitting ax or maul ?
I've had my X25 for several years and have split many cord with it , mostly in a tire or directly on the ground , the same setup with my Isocore .
I've taken my 4 1/2" grinder with a flapwheel to the X25 once because of the dings that rocks made and not yet to the Isocore or any of my other mauls .
When splitting wood you're parting the grain so the way I look at it is E = mc^2 , Einstein said nothing about a sharp maul .

Old thread! These sites have seen amazing turnover over the years. I think there’s only one or two people in this thread that are still active here.

I like a sharp tool. My X27 has split a lot of wood and tends to round off along the top edge over time. I sharpen it with a file or bench grinder as needed.

Old thread! These sites have seen amazing turnover over the years. I think there’s only one or two people in this thread that are still active here.

I like a sharp tool. My X27 has split a lot of wood and tends to round off along the top edge over time. I sharpen it with a file or bench grinder as needed.
Steve, old is relative. Those six years seemed to have gone by in 15 minutes. I checked and saw 8-9 names I didn't remember, saw a couple I miss. I clicked on a couple names I haven't seen in ages, turned out they are still active in different forums. Amazing how many forums we have to be active in.

I found one of these to be about the best tool for a quik touch up on anything that needs a edge. https://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Sharp...ocphy=9010337&hvtargid=pla-369049724332&psc=1
I used to carry one in my pocket, until I lost it. Have to be careful using one, if you get over aggressive with it, it will ruin a blade on a pocket knife, It shaves the metal off the edge and only takes one or two licks to have a knife razor sharp. I used it on axes, shovels, hoes, sissors, anything that needs a edge. I need to get me a new one.

Steve, old is relative. Those six years seemed to have gone by in 15 minutes. I checked and saw 8-9 names I didn't remember, saw a couple I miss. I clicked on a couple names I haven't seen in ages, turned out they are still active in different forums. Amazing how many forums we have to be active in.
Yeah a few are still active elsewhere. And a number of them monitor here and report elsewhere lol. I never understood that.

A lot have just moved on though. Seems the average life span of a forum member is 2-3 years

If you all don't mind, I'll resurrect this one again... :) Do you guys worry about the geometry of the edge and head on the Fiskars 27 when you touch it up? From what I read, the geometry of the Fiskars splitting axe is what sets is apart. Have any other manufacturers come up with a geometry that is as good or better? I have a 27 that I've touched up several times and am wondering if I have inadvertently changed the head geometry. Thanks!!

If you all don't mind, I'll resurrect this one again... :) Do you guys worry about the geometry of the edge and head on the Fiskars 27 when you touch it up? From what I read, the geometry of the Fiskars splitting axe is what sets is apart. Have any other manufacturers come up with a geometry that is as good or better? I have a 27 that I've touched up several times and am wondering if I have inadvertently changed the head geometry. Thanks!!
The point itself will slowly change but if it is reasonably sharp I wouldn’t think it would make much difference, performance wise.

I have graduated from the tool steel sharpener to one of these https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gr...clid=ADL-c11f4d8e-5251-4594-a44b-175b8443b8e0. wet grinds to keep the metal cool and has a leather strop to polish razor sharp if that's what you want. It does take practice, but once you get it set up with the proper tool holder, you can sharpen anything from a straight razor to a godevil. I still miss that pocket sharpener though, noting handier when out in the woods.

Thanks for everyone's replies to this. I use a flat file and then a puck if I'm really feeling it. I just never paid attention to keeping the bevel angle as I hadn't had to worry about that on any of my other axes. I was just curious as to other guy's experiences with this and to find out if it seemed to make a difference or not. A sharpening wheel is amazing. My son bought a Tormec, but sadly it's at his place.. ;) I've also noticed the steel seems to give way sooner than usual. I'm pretty careful not to dig trenches with my axes, but this even dullls pretty quickly just splitting.

I've also noticed the steel seems to give way sooner than usual. I'm pretty careful not to dig trenches with my axes, but this even dullls pretty quickly just splitting.
The only real drawback to the Fiskars line. The original cutting edge is hardened but as you wear away, the metal is pretty soft. Still totally worth it for a 50 dollar splitting tool that outperforms nearly all other splitting axes.

I bought the Fiskars sharpener, and I am not terribly impressed. The wheels seem fine, but the plastic they are mounted in are more suited to sharpening an xacto knife than a splitting ax. I have to kind of hold the plastic together when stroking the x27. I've found a good whet stone works much better. And, as mentioned, is kind of a relaxing little mind distractor for a while.

Good luck.
I also use a stone and file to sharpen my axes when needed.
I take the file to the heavy knicks the the stone to hone it up.
I found a round axe sharpening stone at some store one day and picked it up.
It's got one side rough and one fine.
Does a great job.

Latest posts

Back