Sharpening Stihl RS with round file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firemoore98

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies,

I purchased 3 brand new chains on eBay that are 3/8 .050 20" RS full chisel. I do not have them yet in my possession they are in transit, but I think I might have made a bo bo. I'm a rookie sharpener and use a timberline sharpener for all my needs.

Can a RS full chisel chain be sharpened with a round file? Or do I have to use a square file to get any performance out of this chain.

If they can't be sharpened with a round file I will sell three brand new chains for $65 shipped.

I already ordered a pair of 3/8 .050 RM chains for my general firewood cutting needs.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post I did several searches on this and other forums and couldn't find the exact answer.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentlemen and ladies,

I purchased 3 brand new chains on eBay that are 3/8 .050 20" RS full chisel. I do not have them yet in my possession they are in transit, but I think I might have made a bo bo. I'm a rookie sharpener and use a timberline sharpener for all my needs.

Can a RS full chisel chain be sharpened with a round file? Or do I have to use a square file to get any performance out of this chain.

If they can't be sharpened with a round file I will sell three brand new chains for $65 shipped.

I already ordered a pair of 3/8 .050 RM chains for my general firewood cutting needs.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post I did several searches on this and other forums and couldn't find the exact answer.

Thanks

Jason

Jason, should be no problem but much easier to convert with a grinder. By hand will take a while. Using the timberline will likely take longer.

Ron

Yes sir you can as @rwoods mentioned your chains can be filed to round file. I sharpen my 1 round filed chain free hand so am unclear on your timberline whickerbill, but maybe a guy could with a little elbow grease free hand your new chains close to your liking and then through the timberline cadduee on and fine tune the remainder to the liking. Again this is an OCD opinion here and this could take 4 times as long as than just starting with the timberline gizzywichit or selling them in the first place. Just my very drawn out 2 cents lol, so good luck with the new loops and safe cuttin sir.

I reckon you will do it and be happy with the result, I bought a 404 76d/l square file skip chain some years back, decided sq filing was a pita so round filed,
it went extremely well.

Be keen to hear how it goes for you.

These chains are more than I want to take on for a rookie sharpener. They are posted on eBay free shipping and buy it now of $60. 3 brand new never used chains. That's less than I paid.

7a383070eb6104152150fc881b3a0992.jpg

Thanks

The chains I had were square sharpened and I sold them on eBay.

I'm running a full skip chain now and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the posts

Jason

Now that I look at the pic closer those cutters do look square ground. Weird.

Find some round ground RS...it's good chain.

Back